Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Technology?

Zak De La Rocha

Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
Visit site
yes but think of this example....
man goes out and buys himself a 300 000 pound sports car, lets say a bentley of something. now this sports car can go from 0-60 in a few seconds and has a max speed of 200mph. he has spend all this money on a speedy car but where can he drive it fast......70mph on a motorway?

its the same with paintball guns. companies are spilling out custom marker after custom marker capable of 20 shots a second or the like....but who the hell can fire that fast anyway and what the hell can feed that fast?? companies should possibly invest a little more into hopper/feeder technology.

You can drive the car as fast as you want but you'll just get jailed, you can fire the gun as fast as you want but you'll just get split after split!

Fish

RePete

Imature member
It's worse than that, it's physics Jim...

Does anyone have any information on:

Optimal force due to acceleration vs. optimal force required to break a ball

Optimal velocity for paint (If there is one. I've hear 286 quoted from two separate sources, but they weren't backed up with any evidence)

...Besides. If you're going to talk physics, does anyone have info on barrel length and closed or closed bolt relative to range/accuracy? I don't know if the argument over this last point will ever be settled. We'll all still be arguing "Mags suck, cockers rule - cockers are crap, Mags rock" at the end of time.

As for technological improvements. More parts made out of titanium, higher pressures out of smaller tanks, anti-chop solutions that don't interfere with ROF...

And technological innovations...Well I could tell you but I'd have to kill you. Think of a problem and then think of a solution. Most of the problems I have nowadays are the player, not the gun...:p

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
It's worse than that, it's physics Jim...

Originally posted by RePete

...If you're going to talk physics, does anyone have info on barrel length and closed or closed bolt relative to range/accuracy?
Barrel length can have a minimal effect on accuracy (not range) and I've personally always theorised that low pressure/acceleration will lead to a more stable trajectory because of the effect of high gee force on the fill *

(Sorry I don't have the numbers... I'm a Political Scientist by training not a real one) :p

As for range... unless you put some back-spin on the round (as with a Flatline) paintballs will always travel the same distance if fired at the same velocity. If you fire a level marker and drop a paintball simultaneously from the same hight they will both hit the ground at the same time. The only thing that will change is how far they move horizontally en-route

*excessive acceleration will cause the fill to migrate effecting the balls centre of gravity... or so I think. It would explain why Shockers really do seem to be more accurate at range

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Hotpoint
The problem of long-range paint slinging will always be down to mass. Paintballs are too light relative to their volume to travel accurately over great distances. A tiny bit of wind-shear and they've missed by several metres
Certainly a truely consistant Paintball would be an advantage but I doubt the aerodynamic advantages offered by dimples would help much in real life
Any thoughts?
Yeah I got some thoughts, you mention the weight / volume ratio as being the main determinant in a paintball's ability to stay accurate, then how do you explain a golfball's undoubted accuracy, which has for the most part, a similar weight / volume ratio in the light of your last statement of you doubting the advantage of dimpling ?
They are my thoughts, wanna help me out? :)
Hee hee
Robbo
PS Just stirring up debate here, so we understand the whole accuracy / paintball thing.

John Molloy

Jedi Master
Jan 9, 2002
Manchester
ukjaguars.com
Seems on paint were mentioned earlier I think JT's new brand of paint is seamless and as for dimpling paint like a golf ball its hard enough getting consistent size and roundness without adding a dimple doohicky on the production line. As for the tennis ball seam idea see if you can sell it to Draxxus of course it would probably mean completely altering the machines.

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Originally posted by Robbo

They are my thoughts, wanna help me out? :)
Inertia. A golf ball masses a damn sight more than RP Shearer

When I was talking about ratio I meant in terms of the mass/volume of similarly sized objects and the effect of external force upon them. A paintball sized ball of Depleted Uranium would be much less subject to wind-shear than a paintball

Any disagreements?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Inertia. A golf ball masses a damn sight more than RP Shearer
When I was talking about ratio I meant in terms of the mass/volume of similarly sized objects and the effect of external force upon them. A paintball sized ball of Depleted Uranium would be much less subject to wind-shear than a paintball
Any disagreements?

Agreed, the mass of a golf ball is more than a paintball's, and if I then go on to use your reasoning (and ignore the mass / volume ratio) how do you explain the inherent inaccuracy of a beach ball which obviously weighs more than a paintball ?
Robbo :)

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Originally posted by Robbo

Agreed, the mass of a golf ball is more than a paintball's, and if I then go on to use your reasoning (and ignore the mass / volume ratio) how do you explain the inherent inaccuracy of a beach ball which obviously weighs more than a paintball ?
Surface area relative to that mass :)

Okay here's a good one. Many people confuse range and accuracy when talking about ballistics

Fire two identical lead balls from a smooth-bore musket and a rifle both having a muzzle velocity of 1000fps

Both lead shots will travel the same distance and take the same time to arrive but if you fire ten rounds through each you will see a much tighter grouping of shots from the rifle

The spin imparted to the ball helps stabilise its centre of gravity and allows a more stable trajectory. The range is the same from either weapon but the accuracy is much different ;)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Surface area relative to that mass :)
Not so fast young man, the time for smiley faces isn't yet upon you, isn't the surface area directly proportional to its volume ?
If there is such a relationship, then the mass / volume ratio is still in contention as a determinant for accuracy is it not ?