The Home Of European Paintball

The death Penalty.

Pigeon

Save a Drum, Beat a Box
Mar 23, 2009
Chester, Cheshire
www.facebook.com
Theres always a "what if".

But if I took a chainsaw and wandered through a town center ripping people to bits, do you think I should then get free room, clothes, food untill I die at your expence? Or should I be put to death for my crime.
Exactly yet again Bon. 100% Un-Disputable YOU GONNA DIE

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
Theres always a "what if".

But if I took a chainsaw and wandered through a town center ripping people to bits, do you think I should then get free room, clothes, food untill I die at your expence? Or should I be put to death for my crime.
I would put you in the same room with all those politicians:D

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
ok

Somebody breaks into your house in the night, murders your whole family in cold blood.
You seek revenge and in turn kill you family's murderer.

Should you also be sentenced to death?

No, however you should be imprisioned for not allowing the course of justice to deal with the offending party.

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
England and Wales

A life sentence is a prison term of indeterminate length and in some exceptionally grave cases, a recommendation can be made that a life sentence should mean life. Formerly, the Home Secretary reserved the right to set the "tariff", or minimum length of term, for prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment, but politicians were stripped of this power in November 2002 after a successful challenge by convicted double murderer Anthony Anderson. Anderson had been sentenced to life imprisonment in 1988 with a recommended minimum term of 15 years, but the Home Secretary later informed him that he would have to serve at least 20 years.

Since then, judges have been obliged to recommend a minimum term and only the Court of Appeal or the House of Lords Judicial Committee can make any amendments to the sentence. Though politicians can no longer decide how long a life sentence prisoner spends behind bars, the Attorney General still has the power to petition the Court of Appeal in a bid to increase any prison terms which are seen as unduly lenient.

The Criminal Justice Act of 2003 set out guidelines for how long murderers should spend in prison before being considered for parole. This legislation highlighted the recommendation that multiple murderers (the murder of two or more people) whose crimes involved sexual abuse, pre-planning, abduction or terrorism should never be released from prison, which is known as a whole life tariff, while other multiple murders (two or more) should carry a recommended minimum of 30 years. A 30-year minimum should also apply to the worst single murders, including those with sexual or racial motives, the use of a firearm as well as the murder of police officers. Most other murders should be subject to a 15-year minimum. Inevitably, there have been numerous departures from these guidelines since they were first put into practice. For example, the judge who sentenced police killer David Bieber recommended that he should never be released from prison, whereas government guidelines recommended a 30-year minimum for such crimes. On 23 July 2008, Bieber was told by the High Court that he would not have to serve a full life sentence, as originally recommended by the trial judge, but would still have to serve a minimum of 37 years before being considered for parole, meaning that he is set to remain in prison until at least 2041 and the age of 75. And in the case of Mark Goldstraw, who killed four people in an arson attack on a house in Staffordshire, the trial judge set a recommended minimum of 35 years—as the crime included planning and resulted in the deaths of four people, it might have been expected to come under a category of killings which merited a whole life tariff.

The average sentence is about 15 years before the first parole hearing, although those convicted of exceptionally grave crimes remain behind bars for considerably longer; Ian Huntley was given a tariff of 40 years. Some receive whole life tariffs and die in prison, such as Myra Hindley. Various media sources estimate that there are currently between 35 and 50 prisoners in England and Wales who have been issued with whole life tariffs, issued by either the High Court or the Home Office. These include Ian Brady, Donald Neilson, Dennis Nilsen and Robert Black.

Prisoners jailed for life are released on a life licence if the parole board authorises their release. The prisoner must satisfy the parole board that they are remorseful, understand the gravity of their crime and pose no future threat to the public. They are subject to a possible lifelong recall to prison should they breach their parole conditions.

Reading that made me feel sick. 15 years as a standard sentence for murder before being able to apply for parole.

Has our country realy gone so soft? Its disgusting.

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
I feel what your saying Bon, but there can never be a perfect system that is 100% safe when taking a convicted persons life.

What strikes me, is when the convicted gets years taken off there sentence due to holidays:confused:

A very good friend of mine got convicted of triad activity and murder over 20 years ago. He was sentenced to 13 years, but was out just after 9 years.

The person/persons who makes these laws needs there head seeing to.

robof9

awkward
Feb 20, 2005
East Coast
www.p8ntballer-forums.com
Now i have my own opinion on this subject. As it has been said in this thread, there is never 100% evidence, and as such, the death penalty is very hard to put right if it later proves that the conviction was wrong. :rolleyes:

But, i am for the death penalty, not as a judicial sentence, but as a option for the convicted to choose other than rest of life in jail.

in the usa a person can choose the death penalty, instead of life, and i think this will work over here too. This would releave space in jails, and burden on the tax payer.

did you also know that the moors murders were commited whist the death penalty was in force, but it was suspended prior to the trial

SJS

Karma Monkey Spunk?
Dec 7, 2008
North East, Sunderland
People who commit crimes, should be punished in likeness to the crime commited.

By doing said act ( e.g murder/stealing) you open your self up to said act (e.g being murdered or stolen from)