Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

The EPBF - Friend or Foe?

P8ntballer.Com

Administrator
Mar 31, 2009
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Whenever something ‘big’ happens in paintball, my paintball antenna naturally goes into ‘cynical’ mode and I try to think of all the real reasons that potentially lay behind the press releases covering these type events …
In this case, the EPBF is an organisation ostensibly representing the differing paintball federations within Europe; this would presumably give us a degree of validation, some accountability and in a sense, organises us into manageable lumps of representation.
This sounds great because we have needed this for a long time but what about the timing?

It could be argued it was just its natural time-slot, in other words, people finally got around to doing what needed to be done but life is rarely so sensible or indeed predictable and so my antenna started to do its cynical best in trying to unravel alternative answers as to its timing.
The Millennium has long since had a monopoly in Europe which has over the years allowed it to get away with blue murder.

What made matters worse was the complete absence of a coherent interface for the Millennium to its customer base, its PR was non-existent; it neither answered nor acted upon any of the criticisms levelled against it and so eventually it distanced itself from the very people it was supposed to be serving … but, it being a monopoly, it continued on its way, more by default than design …

This uneasy situation was ripe for exploitation; it just needed someone to kick the cat right into the middle of the sleeping pigeons and this came in the form of the PSP with its recent threat to bring itself over to the shores of Europe .. it scared the living hell out of the Millennium guys mainly because they realised they were now exposed to everything they had done before and exposed in a completely helpless way .. basically, the Millennium were well and truly ***ked, more ***ked than Joan Collins maybes but hey .. Lady Luck has this unerring knack of turning up when you least expect her and on this occasion she made her entrance into the fray just in time ….

Now, for whatever reason the PSP failed to make the trip over even though an alleged $1.2 million was set aside to bring 3 events to Europe .. and even though the Yanks didn’t land on our European shores, they did leave their mark in the form of a resolve amongst the Millennium guys to never be so exposed again .. leastwise that’s my thinking ..
I think the prospect of doing battle with the PSP was a bridge too far for the Millennium and the white flag could well have been flapping long before any sight of a Yank landing vessel was spotted … as to why the Millennium would have all folded in soo quickly?
I think mainly because the financial stability in the Millennium just isn’t there, they really don’t make bundles of dosh like everybody believes and of course, the European team market isn’t as resolute as people would like.

If the PSP had landed then it would have cut the team European team market in half which would have meant no league would have made money in 2011, far from it in fact, both leagues would have lost bundles.
And it was a loss that could potentially have killed both parties off but it seems the plug was pulled before the channel could fill up and allow the Yanks to once again invade our shores.
A resounding, ‘Thank **** for that’ could be heard in German, French and English emanating from our shores when it became obvious they weren’t coming.
But what has all this got to do with this new EPBF initiative you may reasonably ask?
I think the Millennium guys may have realised they need to consolidate their interests and they have responded to that need of a coherent European representation, and let’s face it, at least they are actually doing something positive here whilst nobody else is.
I also have to add something somewhat reluctantly, these guys are the only people I would recommend to do the job; they most certainly have the required experience and also the organisational skillsets required which basically leaves them the problem of organising their initial band of merry men.

It certainly wasn’t a case of an old boy’s network being brought into play, more that individuals were selected who Laurent Hamet believed could genuinely help the cause.
They also had to possess the required commitment and love for the game because the work ahead was always gonna be unpaid.
I’m glad I was selected if only because it means I can keep an eye on things from the inside and hopefully have some influence on what happens .. that’s the theory anyway.
I think from what I have seen and heard they are doing things correctly, thus far anyway …. However, they need to tread very carefully to ensure people do not think the EPBF is just a Millennium extension, because it’s not and never can be .. as soon as that happens, I’m off, and I’m sure the others will be too … I don’t like the thought of anybody being manipulated, least of all, UK ballers, and if I can do one thing on this board then it will be to try and ensure the Millennium do not use this for their own nefarious ends .. I don’t think that will happen anyway because they’re really not that stupid.

I think this consolidation move now makes it increasingly difficult for anyone to come over and invade our shores … our destiny is better served by our people and if it’s a case of ‘better the devil we know’ then so be it … I’d rather that than the alternative option of foreign control of our most prestigious and influential tournament series.
I realise there is a crossover of interests between the EPBF and the Millennium but I believe it to be circumstantial and not operational, it needs to be kept independent but there’s nothing wrong in the EPBF being an indirect help to the Millennium especially when it discourages foreign invasion.
I think we’re going in the right direction albeit being steered by a disparate bunch of individuals.

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Pete

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the EPBF is anything new - I seem to remember seeing their logo on a set of MS rules in 2005.

And if they have been around for that long, what have they been doing?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Pete

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the EPBF is anything new - I seem to remember seeing their logo on a set of MS rules in 2005.

And if they have been around for that long, what have they been doing?

Oh, I've no doubt it might have been hanging around for lord knows how long but that's academic mate.
The point is, it's being resurrected now, and if you read above, I questioned the timing of its resurrection and hopefully gave a possible explanation.

I think like a lot of things, it got shelved for no apparent reason but maybe because the timing wasn't right or whatever ... what is important, to me anyway, is the fact something's being done that has us Europeans organizing ourselves ..... and whichever way you look at it, that can't be bad ..
We can of course question motives here, and to a point, side-track proceedings but there are bigger fish to fry here in my opinion and we should keep our eyes firmly fixed on the notion of self-protectionism ... the last thing I want, or we need, is for petty bickering and/or quasi-intellectual questioning to open up a can of worms and someone slips through the back door ... [I apologise for mixing metaphors there] .. anyway, that's my view on things but of course, we all have 'views' and this is the place to express them ....

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
I feel this organisation is more about funnelling residual business into the 'right places'. The MS events themselves almost become an associated cost of accumulating the contacts for incremental sales.
I just hope that in executing this plan, one side-effect ends up being a healthier tournament scene in Europe, although I think that would be mainly by accident, or through the efforts of those in the group that don't have their personal horse in the race, and actually believe in the stated mission.
I could be wrong, of course, but I do feel I've seen this all before, in a different dress.
Time, as always, will tell.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I feel this organisation is more about funnelling residual business into the 'right places'. The MS events themselves almost become an associated cost of accumulating the contacts for incremental sales.
I just hope that in executing this plan, one side-effect ends up being a healthier tournament scene in Europe, although I think that would be mainly by accident, or through the efforts of those in the group that don't have their personal horse in the race, and actually believe in the stated mission.
I could be wrong, of course, but I do feel I've seen this all before, in a different dress.
Time, as always, will tell.

Missy, I think there are a few jockeys involved whose horse is in the mix purely to try and create a healthier, more accountable European organisation.

I'm sure there might be some agendas being acted upon in the creation of this Federation but any self-interested moves, if they are conspiratorial in any way, stand on very fragile ground because it only takes one whistle-blower to upset the apple-cart ... as to how that might change the flow of self-interest?

I think it makes it more difficult for them to function without the support from the ground floor [players and teams] .. I'm quite optimistic about this Missy but wish we had more people like yourself making up the numbers ... you've got the necessary experience, intellect and personality to make damned sure this Federation goes in the right direction ...if you were, I think me and you could clean up :)

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
I've always wanted to be more involved in this kind of thing Pete, but know I could be too abrasive/blunt to make it a success. I also have long histories, often very competitive ones, with most of the people involved. Having said that, if I were on the right side of the Atlantic, and was asked to participate, that would go a long way towards convincing me that this latest acronim is aimed at 'the good of the game'. If it is as I (still) suspect, they definitely wouldn't want me within a country mile of their organisation.

I do appreciate the compliment though!!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
It wasn't in any way a hollow compliment, I genuinely believe you would be a great rep for players / teams and the reason I think this is because of the very things you fear would preclude you.

I'm aware some of the people involved might fear your presence because they would know damned well you would smell self-interested policies a mile off and would not stand for them.
There may be some truth in this but I suppose you could say the same thing for me unless they think I'm in their pocket which of course remains to be seen.

I'll do you a deal, if you come back home, then I'd do my very best to get your big black ass on this Fed because that in itself would let everybody know in Europe, this federation is for real ... and gonna be run in a legitimate and accountable fashion.
I think this new fed needs that degree of validation because it means we hit the ground running and we most certainly need to do that if we are to mobilize sufficient people to achieve that critical mass of membership whereby it kinda forces everyone else to sign up .. I'd love to get to that point but let's see what happens.
Let me know if you're coming over and I'll pick you up from the airport ...... :)

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Thanks for the offer - as much as I'm overdue to come home, I'm paid too well to leave.
No doubt I'll get fired for something-or-other eventually, or they'll start testing, and at that point I'll drop you a line for sure.