The Home Of European Paintball

The *REAL* reason paintball will never be an extreme sport

JanSolo

I still suck
Jul 7, 2001
Leamington Spa
Visit site
Originally posted by Buddha 3
Sounds extreme? It isn't. It's a mundane game of American Football. We play an old people's game really......:p
Apart from when Robbo plays, I dont see too many wheelchairs or zimmerframes on the field. <grin>

Seriously though, I think 'extreme' isnt about the actual/real danger involved in the sport. I believe that 'extreme' relates to the attitude of the people who play it.
Buddha reckons that paintball is played by normal average-joes. I disagree. Average-Joes play football/soccer. They play cricket/baseball. They play games that they can see on TV regularly.

Extreme sports people (including paintballers IMO) dont get to see their sports on TV. The general public doesnt know much about these sports. They are sometimes treated with suspicion by 'normal' people because of their 'non-conformist' hobby. This is because extreme sports people are playing something 'out of the ordinary'. Something unusual. Something extreme.

The actual danger involved in the sport is irrelevant; its the differences in the minds of the people who play it that make a sport extreme.

Jan.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I don't fully agree with you Jan, not trying to start an argument, just a discussion.
I see it like this: Extreme sports are the ones that'll make most people say: F#ck that! I'm not gonna do that! That's gonna get me killed!
The reaction that most people have towards paintball is: Yeah, now that looks fun.
When I look around me at any paintball event, I see all types of people. When I was working in an extreme sports shop (about 7 years ago) you would see mostly one type of person, be they skateboarders, inline skaters or snowboarders. They all looked (and smelled!) the same. I think that in order to classify as extreme (which is really a silly name) there has to be a certain fear factor. The fear of getting hurt.

I guess we could go on having a Yes/No argument, because I get the feeling there's as many opinions on this as there are members of this board. If paintball would indeed 'qualify' as an extreme sport, you have to admit it would be a bit of a tame one. No matter how cool the moves some of us pull off on the field, it doesn't compare to any of the stuff Matt Hoffman does (ask a BMX person to show you a video of what this guy does, it's mad!)

If the criteria for being an extreme sport indeed were along the lines of level of acceptance by the general public, I think the whole concept of extreme sports should be thrown out of the window. It would mean underwater hockey (this does exist!) would be an extreme sport, and most sports where people go out of their way to try to hurt/kill/injure others would not be. How can floating around in a pool be more extreme than say boxing, tae kwon do, yanky football, rugby, whatever.....
The more I think about it, the sillier the whole notion of extreme is.

Also, I think extreme is just one of them fashion words. Skateboarding isn't really that extreme anymore, is it? Sure you get the loonies dropping themselves off of vert ramps, but you also get millions of kids running around with skateboards, because for a while it's been a fashion accessory. That's not very extreme is it? I think a lot of people just like to be able to say: I do an extreme sport.

Anyway, enough ranting. Who cares anyway. They could call it sissy sports, and I'd still play the damn game!:D

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Extreme names

Originally posted by JanSolo

Seriously though, I think 'extreme' isnt about the actual/real danger involved in the sport. I believe that 'extreme' relates to the attitude of the people who play it.
The actual danger involved in the sport is irrelevant; its the differences in the minds of the people who play it that make a sport extreme.
The nature of an extreme sport attracts a type of person who needs more stimulation to enjoy an activity. That's psych talk for a brain wired up diffrent than most folks. "BASE" jumpes are usually VERY calm people in the real world, and also they tend to be 'bored' of most stuff.

Pikachu also asked about playing without masks. 5 years or so ago it was the rage, goggles only. Then a few magazine editors threw a fit, and they made tournament players wear full face masks. Then JT invented the flexi-bottom.

And, one more quote.

Originally posted by Buddha 3
Another thing: most of these extreme sports appeal to a certain type of person. Skateboarders all dress the same(ish), mostly listen to the same type of music, and so on. This applies to other extreme sports quite often as well. (Hell, skateboarders and snowboarders are almost interchangable) Paintball is a game that is played by so many diverse people, that it is difficult to point at the strereotype paintballer.
That's a stereotype too. I snowboard. I dress in the snowboard clothing, because it's what's offered to me to wear. Burton, Bonfire, Sims, Obermeyer... they all make clothing in which form follows function. And, dammit, those cargo pockets ROCK!

I live near a place called Mt. LaCrosse. There's this old dude, he's GOTTS be 75 at least, who snowboards. He wears ski pants, a ski jacket, a racing helmet, hard boots and his board. I think he's the oldest cool dude in the world. He doesn't stunt, but he rides. And he rides regular, which only adds to his cool factor. :D

Point is there's a lot of people who snowboard too. Women, parents, little kids, buisnessmen, and cool old dudes. And they may dress the same, becasue they get to buy wha thte companies offer in waterproof gear, and they may ride boards with "xtreme graphics", but they listen to a diversity of music, go to a diversity of movies, and enjoy riding. To say that snowboarding attracts one kind of person is similar to saying that paintball only attracts military wannabees who wish to play war in the woods. Same kind of statement.

Come to think of it, park riders, free riders, racers, and pipe riders don't, in my expirence, rag on each other for not riding the mountain the way they do. As long as you're riding, it's cool. And even the skiers have stopped calling us "Knuckle-draggers", and don't sneer at us as we go down the hill. It's all about enjoying the winter, the snow, and the mountain.

I think paintball can learn from this.

-Tyger

Magued

Jul 10, 2001
Visit site
Extreme no not really!

Paintball isnt a extreme sport. I would call it a adrenaline sport. Its the kick not the danger that we want. But alot of kids that is in to extreme sports really love to play paintball, why? beacuse they get the adrenaline rush, even more than when they do some air tricks with the board.

Magued

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
How to make paintball more "Extreme"

This is meant to be humorous. Deal with it.

Want to make paintball MORE extreme of a sport? Here's how we do it. And, youll have to follow the links provided to see it, but it'll explain everything.

Hard Bunkers with a coping / metal edging that's rounded
Soap Shoes
Grind Rails

Anyhow, put rails, hard sided bunkers with metal edging, and give everyone soap shoes. Now put flags up onto platofrms, where the ONLY way to get the flag is to run up to a rail, hook your shoes onto it, grind UP the rail, get the flag, and then either jump off or grind down the other side.

And to everyone that just thought "Yo that's screwed up! I'd get killed if I did that!" You learned know why I suggest it. :D

-Tyger

(Edited becasue the "IMG" tag doesn't work yet.)

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Okay on a personal note.
I've tried a lot of things in my life, some fun, some dangerous, some just stupid (like jumping off a 50ft cliff into the river below, not really knowing how deep the water is)
I tried skateboarding, snowboarding, BMXing, lots of other stuff.
I've had many adrenaline rushes in my life, and I enjoyed them all (to be honest, even the ones that you get when the sh!t hits the fan).
However, from all the things I've done in my life, adrenalinewise, I only found two to be satisfying. I've played American Football for almost ten years as a defensive tackle. So my job was to crush people. And I enjoyed. I played to cause pain. A tackle was not proper if there was no yelp to go with it. I would almost get hardons everytime I blindsided a quarterback and knocked his gloryboy ass into the magical realm of lala-land.
The things you do as a football player can not be compared to the things you do as a paintballer. Yet for some reason, hitting someone with a pretty harmless paint pellet, gives me the same satisfaction as going toe to toe with lardass offensive lineman, and physically beating their asses.
I must admit that since I picked up paintball, I've become a less agressive person (off the field that is),but this could be because at the same time, more or less, I grew out of my adolescense (I was about 20 when I started). I think it has made me less of a physical brute (although I'm still 6'2, 275lbs), and more of a 'thinking' strategist. I'm less likely to solve conflicts with my hands. Having these outlets in the form of paintball and American football has been good for me.
Now I know I digress from the extrme yes/no debate, but can someone please explain to me, why hitting some at 40 yards with a paintball feels similar to physically knocking the lights out of somebody on the gridiron. I'm just trying to work out how two so obviously different things, can feel so similar.

As for the yes/no debate, I'm out of that one. Because I see some good arguments why paintball should be extreme, as well as why it shouldn't. Let's just agree to disagree.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
HEY TIGER!

i just read your last post after I added mine. I can just picture what you described. You up for a game? I am!:D (Hell no! My baby girl needs her daddy out of a wheelchair)
I've seen some footage of some bizarre Japanese quiz show, that I got reminded off because of what you said. People had to perform certain tasks, and whoever ended up with the best overall time, or points (I don't remember which) got a major prize.
They had all kinds of crazy tasks for these people though. One of which was this. They were given a flimsy helmet, and het to run across a 20ft long plank, which was about a foot wide. This thing was about 15ft off the ground. Sounds simple enough, but not when they are firing BOWLINGBALLS at you!

How's that for extreme?

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Want paintball more Xtreme ?

Originally posted by Nick Iuel-Brockdorff
Get JT to improve the lenses - and turn op the velocity to 500 FPS.
[/B]
Don't laugh.

There was an indoor field in teh 'cities hat ran a monthly "Club" where there were no velocity limit. And you played to the pain, not to the hit. And playes wold brag about how many lenses tehy'd shatter in a night, or how big a welt they got every time they did it.

This was back in, oh, 92 or 93? I'm still amazed that nobody was killed or no more people got blinded back in th 80's and '90's. It's a miracle, of sorts.

-Tyger