Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

The Resurrection Shuffle

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Our sport harbours many of the things in life that just make you wanna go hmmmmm.... one would have thought our industry would have focused itself upon one of the die-hard principles of American culture and that is, to make as much money as is humanly possible, and in some cases inhumanly possible ... but this somewhat unhealthy pursuit of the green god takes discipline and a singularity of mind; there was a time in paintball when any idiot could make money selling paintball gear .. and trust me, many an idiot did just that.
Paintball went through a halcyon period of sales when Midas touches were ‘two a penny’ with bank balances nudging the ‘disgustingly embarrassing’ but all good things allegedly come to an end and we inevitably crashed, banged and walloped ourselves into a recession with the weak among us getting splattered across our respective yearly accounts.
It’s hard to imagine anybody who left our industry with enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their lives being attracted back into paintball while any of them still possessed neuronal activity between their ears ... it surely is an insane proposition to believe in ..... why on earth would anybody risk any of their heard-earned money investing in paintball again, especially now of all times ... it just makes no sense, not to me anyhow.
But... as some of you will already know, ‘paintball’ and ‘sense’ are not so much unwilling bedfellows, they are in most cases, mutually exclusive.
We already know that some of paintball’s founding heroes, the likes of John Gregory, Tom Kaye and Budd Orr have all pastured themselves out never to return [so far] but we now see a few old faces returning from our industry’s dead-box ..... Richmond Italia is one such individual though his re-emergence isn’t recent in that he has been nudging his way back into our industry portfolio for a year or so with his attempt to re-ignite the financial fires of our sport with a 50 calibre alternative paintball.
Richmond had previously sold his company Procaps to a conglomerate some years back and took his third share of a bazillion bucks off to the arguably warm embrace of Montreal before deciding to dip his Canuckian toe back in the paintball water.

Gino Postorivo once owned National Paintball Supplies before selling out to Kee Action Sports a few years back back-pocketing a reported cool $12 mill and then we had the recent demise of the Gardner brothers with Smart Parts, a disaster that has already been well documented.
Mind you, even though the company may have taken a dive that Greg Louganis would have been proud of, the brothers Gardner ain’t skint by any means.

This trio of company buy-outs and demises left a vacuum that we all believed would be filled by the suit brigade, people who sit round board tables discussing bottom lines, shares and stocks;
Boring farts who have as much soul for our sport as a butt plug.

These type people know the cost of everything in our industry but do not know the value of anything .. and never can, they are not ballers like all those guys previously mentioned, they are figureheads and by that I mean they deal in figures, nothing more.
And now ... out of the lunacy our sport so often inspires, we have Gino, Richmond and the Gardner brothers all making a comeback thus condemning any notion we may have had in believing our industry was maturing along rational lines.

Gino has crashed back in with Valken paintball and the Gardners have now come back into our industry with their new company called Gog Paintball ... someone allegedly noted that ‘Gog’ in Germany is translated as ‘cock’ and so it seems any German launch of the Gardner’s new company could well be received with a certain chuckle ... still, they say ‘sex sells’ though I fear not so much in this case.
And so the burning question seems to be, why the hell would these guys come back into an industry that’s about as buoyant as an anvil?
We have no growth, no green shoots, we do have however a slide of monumental proportions that still hasn’t stopped steepening.
Our industry could well rewrite the economics books as the most dramatic fall from grace ever documented; we live in hope recovery is around the corner but in the meantime, anybody wishing to invest in our market would do well to unbuckle the straps that pin their arms back in that nice white coat.

Ahhh, ‘therein lies the rub’ as Billy Shakespeare once noted ... it would seem our beloved industry has more than its fair share of admirers inspiring an almost maniacal devotion to duty.
Commentators have suggested these guys mentioned all possess an ego far too large for their own financial good ... but can it be that simple?
Can we really put this resurrection shuffle down to people’s self-image where it demands they return just to cultivate what they believe is something so fleeting as personal fulfilment brought about by other people’s adulation or respect?

My knee jerk is ‘Nah, can’t be, surely not’..... maybe someone as vain as myself could well submit themselves to such indulgence but not these guys.
I will readily concede they would have gotten bored just living off their millions but hey, give me a try, and trust me, you wouldn’t see me for dust .... it could be they need to earn money and after all, paintball is the business they know and so where better?
Let me explain something here, I know these guys pretty well and I also know they ain’t short of a few bucks, far from it ... in fact, f’kin far from it .. if you added their combined wealth together, it would equal the gross yearly turnover of a medium sized African nation and so the likes of Gino and Co ain't gotta work for their living that’s for sure.

I think commonsense is jettisoned pretty quickly when pondering the question of why these guys were so willing to make a comeback but you’d tend to think that maybe the timing of their return is somewhat inappropriate.
I mean, it’s not as if the paintball market is setting the place alight at the moment ... sales are down everywhere across the US and there is little to no investment in our sport from anybody.
These guys are basically using their own money to try and climb back onto the paintball wagon which at the moment has lost a couple of wheels .... one of them being the steering wheel.
Still, it’s their money, they can do with it as they see fit but from the outside, it certainly seems an over-risky endeavour.
I suppose though, we must readily concede these guys are extremely successful if we define success in terms of how much money you have in the bank and maybe, just maybe, they know what they are doing ... it may well come down to perspective, I most certainly view present circumstances in our industry being about as attractive as a baboon’s ass but then again, I’m poor.

It may well be poor people like myself are precluded from seeing opportune times such as these but I’ve yet to be convinced that a 70% reduction in overall sales when compared to 5 years ago, with no recovery in sight, with not one indication the sales down slope has even threatened to level out is a good time to invest ... call me a wussy boy if you like but the signs are there guys, it may well be the time to invest your money in something much less risky such as betting it all on black as a paintball clatters its way around the roulette wheel.
We must remember though, people like Gino, Richmond and the Gardner brothers didn’t get rich by accident, they must have done something right in the past and so it just may be they are smarter than the average bear thus explaining their somewhat curious return.
For my part, I rejoice they have returned, I know Billy, Adam and Richmond pretty well and have gotten on with all of them well enough in the past … they have paintballs in their respective nut-sacks, believe me … they love our sport, and we need them more than they need us, that’s for sure.
I know Richmond and he’s a one-off, he has never lost the ability to keep his feet on the ground … I’m sure he possesses an ego but it never comes across as being oversized and most certainly not too big for his own good, Richmond is proud of what he’s achieved and rightly so, the boy’s done good in my book and he’s a good mate and so you won’t hear a bad word from me.

And like the others, we need Richmond more than he needs us .. of that I am 100% sure.
I don’t really know as Gino well however, for some reason I never really got close to him like I did with the others; as for his character and intentions?
I am not gonna second guess why he has returned or what he’s up to but I do know this, his presence in the marketplace will most certainly shake things up.

He will undoubtedly create a more competitive environment which is good for the customer but I’ve yet to be convinced the pressure to lower prices is all that good for margins especially when the numbers ain’t there. It looks as though he’s squaring up to Kee which as some of you may know is one big mofo and not one I’d like to meet in an industry dark alley somewhere.
Still, Gino must know what he’s doing cos for sure, he’s one smart guy.
The next year or so should be fun for the spectator but I’m not so sure everybody is gonna get out of this fight alive …. Let’s hope this ‘resurrection shuffle’ doesn’t turn out to be an ‘insurrection scuffle’ cos if it does, companies get hurt …

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
It may well be poor people like myself are precluded from seeing opportune times such as these but I’ve yet to be convinced that a 70% reduction in overall sales when compared to 5 years ago, with no recovery in sight, with not one indication the sales down slope has even threatened to level out is a good time to invest ... call me a wussy boy if you like but the signs are there guys, it may well be the time to invest your money in something much less risky such as betting it all on black as a paintball clatters its way around the roulette wheel
"Smart"* money says market has bottomed out or is about too. Always get in 10% off the bottom, and out 10% off the top.

Truest business maxim ever uttered was "When Main Street talks, Wall Street walks". No one smart on Wall Street got spanked on CDO portfolios (AIG, end investors or Governments are not smart). I think the same thing happened here, except these guys saw the do-do about to hit the fan and got the fcuk out.

The TV and B*ll**** curve has been rinsed once, so don't expect to see the same investment / growth path (or tournament bias) previously witnessed. I see sustainability be the new investment aim, the Rec baller will inherit the Earth.

*"Smart" money, meaning the business view of the world. Whether emulating investment bankers is for the good of all is a different argument entirely.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
................. the Rec baller will inherit the Earth.

Hmmmm, this is soon going to become the new mantra for the next five years or so ... nice post Glenn, it's good hearing a 'macro business' angle because a lot of the decisions made that affect our sport are gonna be made in that arena ....

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Rec/scenario ball IS where it's at. These are the guys who go out to play ball and don't mind spending the money on their entry fees and paint.

Tourney ballers tend to want everything for nothing, even worse they might expect more at times.

There's also been a distinct shift in direction from several companies, notably APS with their Arabis and Camo ranges along with the scenario biased AR-K marker. Dye also bringing out their range of camo gear, while ridiculously priced in my personal opinion, it's still very nice looking kit. Kee have always had a lot of camo on offer and is it really any surprise? The grass roots of paintball players still want to believe they are Rambo for a day at a time. Thats where the money is.

Look at the number of players attending any of the UK tournament series, then look at the turnouts for the Warped Big Game. Where would you want to invest if you were setting up a paintball product?

CraigofScotland

Naked fun time
Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
I have to agree with Dusty about the Scenario ballers laying down the money (I dont like being called a rec player :p )

This is perhaps to do with the demographic of the typical player. Look at us for example, the average age of a warrior is 34 with the youngest being 25. With age comes something crucial for the industry, a higer income.

Whilst a fair few students and such attend big games, theres no denying that the majority of us are adults, earning a living, and not scared to spend it as we see fit (if our women folk allow us).

With the likes of MacDev bringing out the Tactical Drone, then a year later Angel coming forward with the ar:k, it shows that the companies are realising who is willing to spend and that the scenario player doesnt always want a blow back innefficent marker.

Companies are also realising what Scenario can bring to the table, things like sponsorship and support packages are coming back into play. Of course everyone and their dog can get a support deal to save 50p off a case of paint, but for the true sponsorship to come to scenario its showing a mentality shift towards what could be the lifeline of paintball.

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Hmmmm, this is soon going to become the new mantra for the next five years or so ... nice post Glenn, it's good hearing a 'macro business' angle because a lot of the decisions made that affect our sport are gonna be made in that arena ....
I absolutely agree that macro economics is something that Paintball cannot isolate itself from. I think the development / growth path in the early naughties was contra to macro economic common sense, and the contraction has been representative of this. The TV or Dick Clark Premium, was priced into Paintball and super leveraged. When the $$$ didn't materialise the contraction was going to hurt worse than the collapse of those Icesave A/Cs or Icelandic Penguin Futures OAPS and local councils were trading over here.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

chrisshanks

Jan 30, 2007
scenario ball/rec ball/big games in the States

I also agree

our personal experience here in the states is that all of our games are still attracting the equall number of players that they have for the past 4-6 years

we (my team: pubcrawling) have experienced your events in England and Scotland first hand.

a few points as to why we beleive Scenario/rec/big game paintball is VERY stable and continues great revenue in the states:

1) Players are provided with the pure origins of paintball entertainment
2) after years of trial-and-error, majority of feilds/promoters here are using a "standardized" format for scenario/big game events (this provides consistancy and depedability from event-to-event)
3) you can be "experienced" player or the "first-time" player and still be quite successfull in any event
4) you can also play along side (and "hang out") with experienced or first-time players
5) there is NO cash prize or real tangible reward at stake for winning or losing (We strongly beleive that this plays a HUGE role and virtually eliminates the warranting of "politics")
6) NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU ARE, you cannot eliminate the rush of 30 + players at once... this equalizes everyone
7) When feilds embrace the "standardizing format" we all have come to know here, this eliminates "hot spots" or "meat grinder" areas on the feild and levels out the ebonflow of the event

because of some of the above items, the attendees at the events are NOT afraid to pay full retail for paint/entrance/products/etc... because they are provided with the entertainment they want....
... this is like going to the movies (or a nice restraunt), even though we know that popcorn costs pennies-per-kilo to make, we still pay 5-8 quid for a large and another 4 quid for a soda (probably 15p to make as well). Because we know the consistancy and "white glove" service we are getting in some things, we don't mind paying and continuing to go either

keeping in mind these "retail" prices (like 80 USD/approx 50 quid per case of paint) keeps away those that are interested in doing nothing but smashing the faces of new players, because it could be expensive for them - this is probably another topic in itself.

from a greatly affordable perspective this also permits players to play more cautiously (allowing one to "get into the spirit of the game") or even to play pump or stock class in the mix with all the Eletronic guns playing and still be affective

In our team traveling experience to Scotland and Egland to play these type events, we found a few things:
a) there are some GREAT talented players out there desiring more of this, and wanting it to be more local
b) there are some GREAT promoters who want to do more of this and provide greater entertainment to more players
c) there is some inconsistancy with the formats, this could benefit hugely with what alot of us have learned over here (with our "standardized" format)
d) Europe Lends itself to amazing feild layouts that are not available over here in the states... all the more reason to do these type of events more

I feel that this "public" form of play will solidify the desire of existing players (and new ones too) of their enjoyment in the sport and allow them to grow roots and get excited about it. I also feel that over time, this will do two things 1) split the players that want to know if they ar the "best" in the sport they play 2) keep the other majority right where they are and continue "going to the movies" if you will turning the possible perpetual wheel of revenue

I understand the competative side and "splitting" is already there and has always been, but to provide and invest more into a stable platform for them to either "start" or "rejuvenate" what they have come to love or hear about as a entertaining sport will attract more people. On the other side, you can scare away prospective players (or those of us who are not competative) by blasting their faces off every time they come out on the feild. this will keep people from spending money and returning albeit first-time or experienced. To avoid this, give them more acreage, more numbers in opposition and an adventurous story or format, then the "face-blasting" becomes less

can you imagine going to the local public football feild to play casually and getting slide tackled or fouled several times a game from a bunch of "competative" locals and NEVER winning a single game every time you go. perhaps the smack-talk from those persons as well. Would you keep going? I wouldn't either

what if there was a LARGE group of community friends (and local neighbors) who played at that same feild instead and kicked around multiple balls just for fun in large very organized masses. This would do amozing things like promote polite and enjoyable conversation and "brotherhood" if you will, you would probably find most people catching up on local neighbohood ongoings and maybe people bring a grill with food the next time, maybe people bring beer for after, stories beeing shared, loads of people hanging out long after, etc...

there IS a time for competition, but allowing someone the oppotunity to grow in the pure "entertainment" sport first and affording them a clear opportunity to earn and experience before they make that decision

... does this make sense to anyone?

I apologise for the rant... and alot of spelling errors just wanted to share my own and gerneral our team perspective

-chris

Reactions: chuckwood

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Pete,

Just wanted to point out that Tom Kaye is back in paintball with a mini compressor system for people to buy and have at home which is capable of filling tanks to 3000 or 4500psi depending on which system you get.

His website for this is here http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/

It's a nice bit of kit!
Si, I spoke to Tom about a month ago and was well aware of what he was up to but the scale of his comeback was the reason why I excluded him from the Resurrection bunch .
All the other guys mentioned have come back in with a bang with companies that boast multiple product lines as against one single 'toe in the water' product launch.

Mind you, I like the product he's launching and I hope it acts as a springboard so he can some back in to our industry with something approaching the presence he did before ... we need more people like him involved in our industry that's for sure.

KlearKnight

Apr 20, 2010
Upland, California
Resurrection Article

Pete Robbo "The Guvna" Robinson,

What a masterfully written article. Always enjoy reading your articles and insights. Thank you for your commitment to paintball. I'm going to repost it on PB nation for my team mates to read.

Regards,
John
B&M Pro Shop/On Target Products