The Home Of European Paintball

The Resurrection Shuffle

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Pete Robbo "The Guvna" Robinson,

What a masterfully written article. Always enjoy reading your articles and insights. Thank you for your commitment to paintball. I'm going to repost it on PB nation for my team mates to read.

Regards,
John
B&M Pro Shop/On Target Products

Hey John,
flattery will get you everywhere mate and feel free to poke it up on pbnation whenever you like.

By the way John, you still see Brahime?

PS Thanks for the compliment anyway.

Timboy

www.shorelineoutdoor.com
I think you could see a convergence of scenario/Big Game events and tournaments.

A single event weekend where camo lovers can play in the woods and tournie lovers can play on the sup fields - all at the same venue.

Both scenario and tournie players require the same infrastructure - HPA, staging, field to play on, food, loo's and traders to supply paint and tech support.

There are several facilities in the UK that are large enough to hold a full scale tournament and Big Game simultaneously. It's economic sense for the promoters and organisers to share those costs, better for the traders and manufacturers present and ultimately can (and in my opinion should be forced to) provide better value for the players through these economies of scale. The money saved should be put back into giving players better value and facilities (i.e. proper flushing clean toilets, decent quality food, bigger player prize funds, free WiFi etc).

There are also other fringe benefits - woods teams who are 'sup air curious' can get the chance to play the competitive version and teams knocked out of the tournie early need not pack their bags - they could jump into the Big Game if they wanted and get some additional trigger time which would ensure they get value from their weekend.

If ego's can be tucked away on both sides of the game - it's a no brainer and pretty much everyone would benefit.

madness

i love formula 5's
Mar 27, 2006
south east london
I think the idea of running a big game type of event and a tournament event over the same weekend is a blood good idea.imagine the trade stands that would attend.it would be like Christmas come early. I and some of my team mate enjoy playing both type of events and normally go to campaign mainly for the trade stands and that's been pretty poor the last couple of years(didn't even get to use my credit card).let's see this happen please.

chuckwood

Now back in Australia!
Aug 2, 2008
Adelaide, South Australia
You also have to acknowledge that in the UK many companies such as but not exclusive to Shoreline, Warped and NPF Birmingham have taken the bit between their teeth to give Scenario players excellent games to play in all the year round now.
They are all to be encouraged and congratulated on what they have done.

A combined Sup Air/Scenario weekend is a great idea, Warped always have an inflatable Sup Air Arena at the big game which allows the guys to have some fun before the big event.

At the end of the day, all operators are there for future financial gain as you cannot rely on Corporate sponsorships such as in Football etc. Some are now adopting a smarter business model that encourages field owners to rent their fields out for large games. This will continue once field owners realise the value and advertising it brings to their sites.

Suppliers also need to get smarter and they will. Business changes and you need to know your market.

KlearKnight

Apr 20, 2010
Upland, California
Hey John,
flattery will get you everywhere mate and feel free to poke it up on pbnation whenever you like.

By the way John, you still see Brahime?

PS Thanks for the compliment anyway.
Haven't seen him in a while, but I do call him every once in a while. I did tell you said hi the last time I talked to him!

chrisshanks

Jan 30, 2007
Irony...

at the most recent paintball sighting of Tom Kaye (a few years ago), He was in-fact strictly attending only big games/scenario games for a year or two straight

this is also what Greg Hasting is doing as well latley, if this holds any weight

you might often see Jim Lively (originator of the Masters & soon after evolved into the NPPL) playing quite a few biggames/scenario games a year, I have even played side -by- side with him myself at several events

there are many others to name that are finding the sport fall back to this format(s) and are aiming to invest where this retail market warrants, even manufacturers of product too

this side of the sport apears to be able to support "small shop" makers of products and even allows them to grow from nothing

I definatley don't feel as though Biggames/scenario games are the end-all, be-all of the sport, but I DO feel that EVERY paintball player has experienced this type of paintball (majority had their first game like this) and can easily adapt to the format... creating a more solid foundation for them to evolve from

Clearly Robbo writes some well thought out articles and worthy reading, however, I personally feel this "shuffle" may result in a investment "shift" over the next 18 - 24 months

Mag7

Sep 19, 2006
Guernsey
First up - good first post Robbo. (apart from the stab at the bankers ;) )
Second - general comments:

- start with over the last 5 years - considering world markets, local economic factors, people's disposable income will be generally less - especially in the US where the effect of Fannie & Freddy was widely felt. (before you say it Robbo - yes, bleedin' obvious award again!)

- globally and cross markets, the effect would have been felt across may 'past-time' activities & industries not just paintball - anything as random as Kayaking to Motocross, people would be just less keen to invest in new kit as their priorities lay elsewhere

- the much cheaper kit available to new players to the sport allows players to compete at near enough the same level as high end products - at least at a local level. (eg. Mini / Ego)

- if maintained correctly, the kit available five years ago is still very very reliable - which may explain some players willingness to retain markers & accessories - meaning the 'new' cash going to retailers will be less. (Granted lots of players need the new shiny gat year on year)

- Global wealth is expected to rise by 61% by 2015. Enjoy the core data people:
https://www.credit-suisse.com/news/en/media_release.jsp?ns=41610

All credit to anyone re-entering the market, they may have this global data & novel ideas always sell.

Ciaran