Planet Eclipse Manic Paintball Just Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball Valken Paintball

The Saviours of UK Paintball ?????

Discussion in 'Paintball News' started by Robbo, May 2, 2017.

1. Mark Vickery Member

Mark Vickery
    Message Count:
    Also, I confirmed with Ainsley that CPPS is not going anywhere, so whatever happens with NXL, players will always have a choice.

Hansel likes this.
  2. Hansel So Hot Right Now.

Hansel
    Message Count:
    EPBF.

3. Spikerz Well-Known Member

Spikerz
    Message Count:
    I heard it shall be called NXL Pro Europe.

4. QBaller Member

QBaller
    Message Count:
    Hi all. Been inactive for a while and this thread really piqued my interest. Robbo made a very strong opening statement and I'd like to share my perspective as the balling situation north of the border (west of scotland specifically) is in dire straits.

I used to ball fairly regularly with my cousin. My interest has largely been with the rec/scenario and his the tourney side. The current situation where i am is that there exists limited locales to play the rec/scenario side and nil for the tourney side. There have been three good sites that have closed within the last three years, Major Day at Stirling, Scottish Paintball Centre at Kilmarnock, and Prozone at the borders. This is a key problem for seasoned rec-ballers who are looking to play but have nowhere to go. I have always wanted cross over to give a go at the tourney side, but business and family commitments prevent time to travel to events.

Robbo mentioned rec/scenario and arena as distinct "factions", which to me reads as "us vs them". It also mentioned the "evolution" and "transition" out of the woods. This mindset I would argue is counter productive as I believe there exists value in development of both sides for the future development of paintball. The latter half of this thread has been somewhat disappointing as the rec/scenario scene has been all but ignored. Per my cousin, the rush you get from each side is different. From a business perspective, there are two distinct products on offer which should be explored, developed (subject to the financials making sense) dare I say in collaboration with each other to introduce the cross over aspect.

Robbo mentions the trip to nostalgia lane, flirting with the past and the (older) age of woodballers and that this renaissance will be superficial at best. I'm not convinced. Due to the locale circumstances, I have recently crossed over to airsoft and I make no apology in doing so. What i witnessed was a burgeoning scene that I haven't seen in paintball for a good while. Players young and old alike having a good time together. I don't see why this cannot be replicated in paintball as well.

The cost of playing and the exorbitant prices of gear has also been duly pointed out. At the end of the day, balling is a recreation which is subject to financial limitations. The sport is competing with all other recreational activities and subject to the same cost(time/money)/benefit constraints of players past/present and future. This means other sports, the cinema, video games, day trips, an overseas weekend away etc etc. The bang for buck of balling just isn't as strong given the economic climate and the "premium" of paintball just hasn't got that luster anymore.

Whilst I've made reasonably investment in airsoft, I have no intent of giving up my paintballing kit either and await the time paintball in my vicinity will rise from the ashes. Given that the heart of paintball lies south of the border, I even had a fleeting idea of purchasing a plot of land to develop for like minded individuals to band up and play. However, i will resign myself to sharing my perspective to this forum.

Thanks for reading.

5. Hansel So Hot Right Now.

Hansel
    Message Count:
    I understand where you are coming from, @QBaller. I've recently taken up airsoft with my son, and it's ridiculously cheap compared to paintball. And yes, the airsoft scene is booming.

That said, I'm not giving up paintball. The people you meet and friends you make keep me coming back.

I have seen quite a number of Scottish players and teams attending regularly at CPPS, and I take my hat off to them - they must drive upwards of 500 miles there and back, then pay for a hotel, entry & paint on top of that. That's a big wedge of cash to spend on a day's play.

Care_Bears and QBaller like this.
  6. crumbla146 Well-Known Member

crumbla146
    Message Count:
    Unfortunately I have done the same, Airsoft over Paintball. Although I must admit its boring playing the same airsoft field several times whilst a speedball fields actually give you something to learn for a bit. But even so, I could go airsofting 5 times before I hit the personnel cost of 1 tournament. Its all relative to the individual, but I found speedball fields that charged £30 - £90 for a single day for even training. The prices are all over the place.