The UK's Best Team... PERIOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by DANIEL
I dont think you can rule storm out, they just need to find some consistency,
Isnt a lack of consistency what rules them out though? Untill teams like Storm start attending ALL the Millennium events and mixing with the top teams and beating the big boys on a regular basis, they will not be a force in UK paintball. Consistency is the very thing that makes a team great, without it a team is a mere flash inthe pan job, brilliant one second, horribly woeful the next. I saw some of Storms games in Amsterdam where they played well, but i also saw some of their games in Toulouse where they were almost average, it was like another team was playing.

This post is not a dig at Storm, i would like nothing more than to see them emerge as a force in Euro/Uk balling. I just think that at the moment they are a long way off

:)

Gillie

Apr 8, 2002
www.pbuk.biz
Originally posted by Syd (SWPL)
And please don't get the merits of the UKPL mixed up with the politics behind the title of this thread!
I'm curious - what are the politics behind the title of this thread....?

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
How about one massive national event, open to all comers at a really good venue? with consistent marshalling and an ultimate who'll make difficult decisions and stick by them? plus players can come from a variety of teams.

Oh hang on, I just described the PA cup. :)

could we do a big inter league tourney at the end of the year? best performers from each league meet up and play off? just an idea, top series 2k3 teams vs top mm teams vs top m25? would that work?
Be like the american wrestling "inter league" matches
(only not made up and less homo-erotic of course).

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Gillie
I'm curious - what are the politics behind the title of this thread....?

Gillie, there are no politics behind this thread, it was just a convenient tag Syd used to try and deflect my critiicsm of his use of the thread title....nothing more.....:)

Tony - Stupid Troopers

NorTees massive!
Jul 11, 2001
NorTees
Visit site
I really dont think that it is possible to place anyone in an order of ranking unless everyone playes the same event, and layes every team that is in a challenging position to them
isn't this what the UKPL is all about? the feeder events are there to decide who plays in the final, not who the best team is. thats decided at the UKPL tournament where the top teams from all the leagues can come together and play ball, at least thats how i thought it worked?:confused:

lothlorien7646

Free as a bird
Mar 19, 2002
My own world
Originally posted by Tony - Stupid Troopers
isn't this what the UKPL is all about? the feeder events are there to decide who plays in the final, not who the best team is. thats decided at the UKPL tournament where the top teams from all the leagues can come together and play ball, at least thats how i thought it worked?:confused:
I believe this is the point, events were selected from across the country to give everyone a chance to make one or more of them to get into the final where the top 30ish teams will play off for this title.

However it is in it's infancy so is still developing, once teams start to recognise it and play each and every leg a better picture will develop of the best UK teams. However without the likes of Nexus and Storm taking part, can you really say that?

The immediate reaction is to take the initial post title and the league table as a basis of the UKs best teams, which is clearly not the case. I mean come on, I like to think were good but, were equal 5th with Tigers Pro!!! :eek:

gaff

www.hired-killaz.com
Mar 12, 2003
'in ya face baby!'
Originally posted by sjt19
Isnt a lack of consistency what rules them out though? Untill teams like Storm start attending ALL the Millennium events and mixing with the top teams and beating the big boys on a regular basis, they will not be a force in UK paintball. Consistency is the very thing that makes a team great, without it a team is a mere flash inthe pan job, brilliant one second, horribly woeful the next. I saw some of Storms games in Amsterdam where they played well, but i also saw some of their games in Toulouse where they were almost average, it was like another team was playing.

This post is not a dig at Storm, i would like nothing more than to see them emerge as a force in Euro/Uk balling. I just think that at the moment they are a long way off

:)
not wishing to start a row sam, or thread jack for too long but your comments about STORM are utter ****e! talk to the tigers, your pro team and ask them how many times this season they have beaten us! how many 'top' teams have we beaten at the two milleniums we have played ermm quite a few, and dont forget the milleniums we have attended have been very full of top pro teams.

what is the saying in sport.....you are only as good as your last game. well we did not disgrace ourselves at all in Toulouse and if we had done what we had practiced to do would have done a hell of a lot better!!

gaff

www.hired-killaz.com
Mar 12, 2003
'in ya face baby!'
oh..... and i am sure Robbo will agree with this statement as well:

Nexus cannot be badged as automatic leaders of UK paintball just because they do well in S7's (although that is a great feat guys....nuff respect!) until we all play each other in a formal 'who's the best' comp then we can only guarantee that Nexus are the best UK team in S7's and the rest of us are only as good as our results in the Millenium

dont worry Robbo i aint putting any achievements that you have this season down, you guys deserve the respect of us all, embarking and succeeding on your campaign

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Go One

Originally posted by sykesg
theres a guy called Go One who has made this mathmatical formula for the M25 and I'm pretty sure it worked so well he took all the results from all the UK tourneys and worked out a proper ranking for all the teams - can't remember where it is but it's way more accurate.

Go One speak now or forever hold your peace ;)
Hey Gareth, pulling names from a hat would be more accurate than this method :)

Ok, I was joking...a little ......
As for the integrity of the 'mathematical formula' when applied to ranking UK teams, I doubt that it could do it accurately or anywhere near it.
It would have to take into account many variables and assign to those variables a factor that could only be 'guessed at' by the formulator.

I bet if I asked you to put the top ten teams in order, you would be able to do it a lot more accurately than this formula would ever be able to do.
Unfortunately the use of a formula is only as good as the data used for its variables and the integrity of its construct.

So unless Go One is Rene Descartes in disguise, you would do better to find a bit of paper and start scribblling if ya wanna know the ranking of UK teams :)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by gaff
oh..... and i am sure Robbo will agree with this statement as well:

Nexus cannot be badged as automatic leaders of UK paintball just because they do well in S7's (although that is a great feat guys....nuff respect!) until we all play each other in a formal 'who's the best' comp then we can only guarantee that Nexus are the best UK team in S7's and the rest of us are only as good as our results in the Millenium

dont worry Robbo i aint putting any achievements that you have this season down, you guys deserve the respect of us all, embarking and succeeding on your campaign
Well, Gaff, actually we were the highest placed UK team in Toulouse as well...... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.