The Home Of European Paintball

The X-Ball Saga....cont...Chapt 23

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Nick,

A round robin would mean 5 X-ball games in 3 days? Isn't that gonna kill players? I heard how hard it was for the teams at IAO.

Also the cost of 5 X-ball games in three days will be quite a financial burden and this time it's being picked up by the teams and sponsors not a company show boating a new format...

Nice try but I don't think your idea will work either. :(

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
so 5 X the paint bill for a normal event to be paid (or covered by the sponsors) for a one time event. Maybe...

You will also need to add the cost of marshalling as you won't be able to use the same ones as the Millennium event because it would be run at the same time. Don't tell me you are gonna have the X-ball teams judge... isn't that just opening it up to the current biase and problems? I DO NOT think having a set of judges with something running on the event judge the same event can in any way be a good idea at all.

Since it is being run at the same time you also need to add the xtra cost for the field, netting and stands...

You kid yourself if you think the only primary cost wil lbe the paint. Maybe to the team playing? but not to the event.

X-ball isn't about taking your players to exhaustion in one tournament event. Even though that was what happened in the IAO show off.

I thought the whole point was a series of events run like a league with play offs etc.

If a team gives it's all in each X-ball game, injuries etc may occur. How can a team give it's all if they know they have 4 more games to go?

I don't see what your format has to offer to be honest. I think you are more compromising the whole idea of X-ball.

manike

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Nick, I wish I had a solution.

As shown by Robbo's posts and all the discussion going on with Niall and Laurent, I don't think there is an easy solution to it all.

I have a feeling it either needs to be done outright and with full commitment as it's own format or not done :(

Will a weakened version work? Will it give the format and possibilities justice? I'm not sure.

Now what it Europe just isn't ready for this? We aren't at the same point as the USA that's for sure.

I wonder if it will be a bigger mistake not to take part now, or to move forwards and take part when we are not ready.

I fully understand the point of view that if we don't do it now we will get left behind. Maybe I agree.

But to counter that let's look at RL. They came from behind in paintball terms and with only a very small pool of people developed what is argueably the best team in Europe, in a VERY short time all things considered.

If that was possible then why couldn't it happen with us when it comes to Euroball getting back into X-ball?

I think we need to do more ground roots of paintball development before we can get to the point where we can compete with the yanks at X-ball. I'm not convinced 'just' taking part in X-ball will make us competitive at X-ball...

It may sound strange but I think we need to develop more walk on players and a bigger paintball scene to develop a bigger talent pool to draw from to make teams that can compete at X-ball...

I think the deciding factor that made the RL and Sergei such a success was finance and commitment.

And at some point in the future we in Europe may have that also in order to compete in the USA version of X-ball. I am yet to be convinced that enough teams here have it at the moment in order for this to work.

Currently I am thinking of how to develop or get more X-ball teams out of the UK. I think we maybe have to start with a UK X-ball league. Then have a Europe one. Then have a global one.

manike

(sensing a monumental thread about to develop ;) )

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by Paul_collier
UK xball league? At present we can't/won't organise a uk league of any description, nevermind an Xball one!! :(

Paul.
That's a very different thing.

If you just had ten teams in the UK X-ball league to start with and played one game every month or so it would be simpler and easier to organise than a UK league. IMHO.

manike

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by manike
I have a feeling it either needs to be done outright and with full commitment as it's own format or not done :(
Will a weakened version work? Will it give the format and possibilities justice? I'm not sure.
manike
(sensing a monumental thread about to develop ;) )
Si, the section of the quote I cut out and posted above sums it all up for me...and may I say for Sergei also....my mind wanders westward......... :rolleyes:

I spoke to Sergei yesterday and he's thinking along the lines of approaching Richmond for an X-Ball franchise in the States...now that would be a frikkin disaster for us !!!!!!!

I am gradually losing my faith and sanity :(

Pete

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by manike
Wow...
Sergei with an X-ball USA franchise would be awesome in pure terms of paintball. But alas not good for us and Europe.
manike
And an X-Ball league with no visiting Americans or Russians means bollock all !!!!!

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
For what it's worth, I too am firmly of the opinion that we need to do it properly or not at all.

The thought of a Euro scene with no or few US teams & no Russians is a nightmare and probably the worst possible outcome for Euro paintball IMHO.

One thing - if you were going to do it Nicks way, there isn't anything stopping you running the Xball from the Thursday, giving you 4 days of playing.