Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

The X-Ball Saga....cont...Chapt 23

Someone

Explain to me tha point of running a one-off X-Ball event...Will it:

Make any money for a promoter?

Attract any other players or spectators, thus making it at all appealing to sponsors?

Attract any media?

Do any good for teams that are geared up for 7-Man for the rest of the season?

Make a blind bit of difference to tha state of Euro Ball?

R

raehl

Alright..

First, an X Ball game the same day as regular Millenium that you're also playing in is a horrid idea. X Ball games are EXHAUSTING, and that's with a full 10-player roster, 3 coaches and a pit crew. With 7-8 players, your players are not going to stop moving for the 90 minutes they're on the field, and it's going to be even worse than IAO and World Cup if you follow the NXL's lead and drop to 2 minute timeouts.

Second, I'm with TJ: What are you guys paying for? If there's some significant fees to play X Ball at night after millenium games, I can only believe that one of two things are true: 1) Someone doesn't know what they're doing or 2) Someone is pocketing a lot of cash.

Set up your 7-man field, add a penalty box on each end and an extra 100 yards or so of netting on one side to enclose team staging areas. Run 7-man on this field all day, and then (with some intelligent field design) take down the row of bunkers in front of the team staging area. Now you've got your coaching area and a 5-man X Ball field.

You're not paying refs apparently if the teams are reffing themselves (Which just means the whole Millenium + reffing + playing is even MORE tiring), you're not paying any more for facilities, and the setup/takedown cost differences are minimal. What are you paying for?

Paint: College teams averaged under 15 cases a match. That's on par with what our All-Star team shoots in 10-man. They did play 2 or 3 matches, so yes, if you're playing 2-3 matches, you're using more paint than you would if you just played one 10-man (or 7-man) event.

IAO teams shot 25 cases per match. They also shoot 25+ cases per 10-man tournament - point being that yes, they shoot more than college X Ballers, but they shoot more than college players in general. Again, those teams did play 2-4 matches, so yes, they shot more than they would have in a 10-man (two to four times as much) but they also PLAYED a lot more too. So if you play one X Ball match, you're not going to shoot more paint than one 7-man tournament.

Practice: How hard is it to get a stopwatch and a 5-man field to practice? If you're practicing, you're practicing. I have pictures of Purdue practicing, that's exactly what they did: 5-man field, played X Ball format. Illinois and Illinois State did the same thing against each other.

The most expensive thing about X Ball is the scoreboard. You can have one made for about $15,000 + maybe $5k in controls - if you do the big scoreboard thing. You can fake it with multiple TV outputs, a laptop and a TVout video card for under $5k.

I think you guys have got to take step back and seriously ask yourselves TJ's questions. It seems like you've decided that you need to play X Ball, but have forgotten WHY you need to play X Ball. I don't think it's a good idea to do it very wrong just for the sake of doing it.

- Chris

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Alright..

Originally posted by raehl
I think you guys have got to take step back and seriously ask yourselves TJ's questions. It seems like you've decided that you need to play X Ball, but have forgotten WHY you need to play X Ball. I don't think it's a good idea to do it very wrong just for the sake of doing it.
- Chris
FFS, does ure arrogance know no bounds ?????
WE know full well what's involved, we ain't forgotten nothing, I and others know a lot more about what's involved than u ever will and we will do what's best for us !!!
Change your frikkin tone !!!!!!!
Jeeeeeeeez, how many times?
Robbo

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Re: Alright..

Originally posted by Robbo
Jeeeeeeeez, how many times?
You can't count that high.:D

Here's a nuts and bolts X-Ball question for ya, Pete. Has anything been discussed regarding standardizing either the number of bunkers or types of bunkers or features of field design besides the jumbo center X? Just curious as I thought the IAO version played distinctly differently than the Disney layout.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Re: Alright..

Originally posted by Baca Loco
You can't count that high.:D

Here's a nuts and bolts X-Ball question for ya, Pete. Has anything been discussed regarding standardizing either the number of bunkers or types of bunkers or features of field design besides the jumbo center X? Just curious as I thought the IAO version played distinctly differently than the Disney layout.

Hey Paul, as far as I know, there will be four basic field designs that X-Ball will be played upon.
These will be standardised I believe but as we are finding out, things can change in a heartbeat....so don't quote me :)
Pete

sykesg

Smakin your Bitch up
Aug 22, 2001
London
www.mayhemtigers.com
Thinking caps on .....

.... I love 7 man but want to play where the European/American big boys are playing whichever format that is.

Sadly I've no miracle solution, nor anywhere near the financial backing to run an exclusive X-Ball league so doesn't that leave two alternatives, X-Ball at each Millennium or all the X-Ball games at one Millennium.

Although it has been commented that spreading the X-Ball games out somehow dilutes the whole thing, I can't help thinking that it would be better for the teams involved as they would get to demonstrate a learning curve over a period of time with plenty of practice and self critisism/improvment between tournies.

What say you?

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
How could spreading the X-ball events out dilute anything?

It's got to be best for the players, the cost, the sponsors, as well as any media coverage possibilities.

I think X-ball AT Millennoum events is the best option, but not with the teams playing 7 man also unfortunately. It's a loss I know but I don't think playing X-ball and 7 man at one event is possible. Nor do I think having all the X-ball games at one event is a good idea.

Just my opinions mind :)

R

raehl

Or the college field for that matter. I thought it played a lot better than the Disney one. I'm not a big fan of the vertical X in the middle. Maybe if they rotated it 90 degrees.

Pete: I believe I know, mostly, what I'm talking about. It's fine if you don't agree, but that's not arrogance on my part. I have an opinion. I know it frustrates you that I can provide the reasoning behind my opinion. Deal.

- Chris

TJ 2

Sep 9, 2001
Visit site
It'll be bad cos X-Ball will be an afterthought when you're tired and your game's gone to ****...besides, the key isn't format, it's playing good opposition surely, and if you ain't facing the 10 best teams in the world, yet they're facing each other regularly, the disparity will grow and grow and grow.

If I finished a Millennium day as top qualifier and was looking at winning that tournament, I'd sack off X Ball to make sure my players were rested so we stood the best possible chance of winning the 7s.

Running the two alongside each other so you have to play both, even with the Russians and some NXL teams, is a bad idea - running it without them is pointless IMHO. Play Millenniums - hopefully against Dynasty, Lanche, Redz, Dogs and the other Pro NPPL teams - and save up to get across to some Super-7s. Or just play Super-7s for then standard of opposition.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by raehl
Pete: I believe I know, mostly, what I'm talking about. It's fine if you don't agree, but that's not arrogance on my part. I have an opinion. I know it frustrates you that I can provide the reasoning behind my opinion. Deal.
- Chris

Chris, you know f##k all worth knowing about what happens over here, deal !
Whether you substantiate your posts or not is not the point, it's your tone !!
And please do not even begin to imply it's just me who is irritated by you, almost all the other big hitters on this site regard you in the same way as I do, it's just that they are more polite and more restrained than I, that is all !!