The Home Of European Paintball

The X-Ball Saga....cont...Chapt 23

shamu

Tonight we dine in hell
Apr 17, 2002
Now-Cal
Re: Re: Alright..

Originally posted by Baca Loco
Here's a nuts and bolts X-Ball question for ya, Pete. Has anything been discussed regarding standardizing either the number of bunkers or types of bunkers or features of field design besides the jumbo center X? Just curious as I thought the IAO version played distinctly differently than the Disney layout.
I'm curious to see what the Xball fields will look like. The college and Disney fields were substantially different. The Disney field was originally laid out similar to the college design (lots of low bunkers across the center, taller bunkers around the outside) but was changed to a more familiar 5-man type layout.

Why the change? Because most of the pro teams wanted the more familiar layout, such as the big house (standing X) in the center and the tapeline snake. The comments I heard (directly from the pros) was that they didn't like all the small bunkers in the IAO/college design.

Should interesting to see which design wins out in the future.

shamu

Tonight we dine in hell
Apr 17, 2002
Now-Cal
Oh yeah - I hope you guys get this worked out. Be a shame not to have the european teams get to compete in Xball full-scale. Personally, I want to see Sweden, England and France compete against the US teams again. :D

R

raehl

Originally posted by Robbo
Chris, you know f##k all worth knowing about what happens over here, deal !
So, uhm, I guess you're saying that you disagree?

The college field played a lot better than the Disney field. I don't know if you had a chance to walk the college field or not, but it was designed very well - there was a shot on pretty much everywhere from every where, with things set up so you could shut down lanes and make good moves if you were communicating well. If you wern't playing as a team on that field you were pretty much hosed. The doghouse bunkers mid-field where very easily angled in on from the sides, and the side bunkers were very easily bunkerable if you wern't getting cover from the other side and middle of the field, and the back corner bunkers were small so it was very difficult to hold a tapeline with impunity. You had to put your players on the 50's to pick your opposition out of their bunkers, but you couldn't have players on the 50's unless you were protecting them from the middle and cross field.

The Disney field seemed to be more of an individual skills field, battle-on-the-tapelines type deal. Pick off back corner man, push snake, repeat. The middle X cut out cross-field shots, and the big back corner cans let corner guys to the traditional shoot at each other down the tapeline until one is eliminated type deal. Kinda boring really.

College field made for better spectator paintball. The three dorritos on the spectator side alone were a big deal - lots and lots of bunker moves right in front of the spectators. I wish I'd seen the IAO field, which people seemed to like.

- Chris