Thoughts Please ...

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
What we want is unity but as we still have a them and us attitude on
both sides of the fence I'll take my chance on the lottery

Previously, we couldn't even establish unity on one side of the fence (tourney) let alone between woods and tourney.

If Paris can't make the first step then we truly are fcukarooonied ....

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
What i would like to see is this:

A central registration for teams. A north and south tournament played on the same day, using same rules, fields etc. Teams are placed into the tournament in their appropriate region (if they are situated north of birmingham they play the north tourney etc) At the end of each tournament teams are ranked regionally and then nationally with the other tournament as per the scoring system (milenium etc)

A north organiser (wendy? rich?) and a south organiser (syd) agree to the dates, format price structure etc and stick to it. They also work together on getting support for the series from trade and paint vendors. These must also agree on the same prices across the board (where possible)

There would be four events per year that would produce north and south winners etc and then a fifth event after these four that those teams who wished to could compete in to find the "national" champions in each division and this would be seeded as per the rankings from each "local" tourney.

Players would also be registered and could move from team to team as they wished as long as the teams they moved to were the same as the one they originally registered with. New players could also join any team at any division.

Teams would have say three months at the start of the year to register their teams and after this any teams wanting to register would not be able to do so. These registered teams would commit to the series and paying for it. The organisers would then sort the teams into divisions accordingly.

In my eyes, this would allow each tournament organiser to have their piece of that pie. The organisers could then decide what other separate tournaments they wanted to run that were not affiliated in any way to the north/south tourney. I would suggest some sort of limited paint hybrid event (woods/supair) to get and retain new blood into the sport. With this they could also advertise the major series.

Perhaps idealistic and perhaps it lacks clarity but its what i think would be healthiest for paintball in this country at the moment.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
DW, I'm with you on this, I have had guys who have never even played on a punter day before play a (Koth) event and come back at the end of the day saying they had a ****ing brilliant time, I think it's how its all handled.

As for biscuit, you have some good ideas, though TBH there is a team in the south that broke into the Koth scene from woodland ball and have made a big impact, even to the extent that romours went around that they were samdbagging Millennium players or a Div One masters team, (amazing how misinformation can multiply).

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
dw i understand what you mean but believe me it is going to happen back in the woods there is a new series called old skool paintball,there are 5 sites commited to it and so far 12 teams.there were other teams very interested in playing but due to other commitments they could not commit to the whole series .if you break down the cost you are looking at 50-60 pounds per an event which is very resonable compared to other events,plus it will be running along side customer days on some of the sites so giving punters a chance to look at the other side of paintball.onasilverbike this is what i mean about bringing the newbies through woodland tournies first they learn and hone their skills at a slower paced game but when they step up to sup-air it,s not such a wide gap to span between the two formats as going straight from punterball is.as for the them and us attitude all i,ve got to say is where did the best players that this country has produced, start their balling careers in the woods were they perfected their skills then unleashed it on a new format called sup-air so maybe its time for people to lose this attitude and see if both formats can help their play, they might even find they are more suited to woodland than sup-air and vice-verse.this as been1 of the problems with balling in this country for a few years now of one type of baller thinking that they are better than another when in fact we could all learn from each other,its time we all respected each other but also time we taught the younguns that to get respect you,ve got to earn it,not the crap that comes out of some of their mouths on field and that goes for some of us old gits aswell,don,t sound right good infront of little johnnies mum and dad at his first event does it

philfull

Newcastle Lockdown
Jul 24, 2008
toon
i play in the ionman tourney in the north east which is an amalgamation of woodsball and sup'air and this particular series is based on sportsmanship and fairplay.

I do aggree that we as a sport need one set of rules to apply to all events but saying that i also believe if some smaller events like the ionman feel that adjusting the rules to try and make your first taste of tourneys more accessible then allow them to do so.

This event is always a friendly one and brings the teams that play it together both for the sporting aspect and socially.

If there were more events ran in a similar way i.e. woods and air in one series then alot of the them and us arguments could become us and us conversations. bringing in new teams to "beginner" events like this could i think eliminate alot of the hostility between the two types of ballers given long enough.

I honestly believe hybridising the sport in this way would be benificial to everyone entering the sports tourney scene. they are then able to decide which branches of the game they want to pursue more without being herded into an either or situation from the off.

I would also like to add having the likes of robbo and ledz spearheading a drive to unify the sport can only be a good thing and i hope things get sorted out in every ones best interest (traders and customers) as we need a strong collective of both for the sport to thrive especially in the current economic uncertainty.