Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Time to lay this to rest....

The one point everyone has forgotten is that most high quality barrels are stepped.

For those who wonder what I mean - it is the fact that the end of barrel that goes into your marker has a tighter bore size than the muzzle.

Think of the Freak system - the tips have to accomodate even the largest insert size. So this means that if someone is shooting very small paint, there will be a greater difference between the paint and walls of the barrel at the tip of the marker (actually after about the first 6 inches).

Technically speaking this is why the discussion about barrel length is kind of a waste of time. The first 6 inches is all that matters, the rest is just for individual preference - we all know most people (especially guys) like to brag about how long their barrel is. The reason I say "technically speaking" is for the reason Beaker mentioned, he said the advantage of a longer barrel is the fact that you can use the tip as a point of reference for aiming - some people like longer, some shorter, it's just a matter of personal preference.

For those who think I am "full of it" (many people do - so this won't be a first) I have a story to back up my statements. Anyone who was at this years Mayhem Masters who watched the finals between Avalanche and Joy division can vouch for this. The story is as follows:

Weasel from Avalanche dives head first into the snake on the Diablo field and in the process of this wonderful move proceeds to break off the tip of his Dye Boomstick. So after looking quite shocked and not really knowing what to do about it (he finally put the tip in his pocket) he decides to finish playing with only the back part of his barrel (the silver end). After a few practice shots against the netting - to see how it would shoot - he then proceeds to snap shoot a Joy player out of the game (goggle shot by the way). For those who missed what I said read it again - he SNAP SHOT - someone out.

Now I will agree that with his new 6" barrel, Weasel wouldn't be doing any longballing (just not enough barrel to accelerate the ball enough with his reg settings), the 6" was all he needed to put an accurate shot on someone 15-20 meters in front of him.

goose

Hey Manning, I don't think the topic of the thread has mutated - actually it was started by asking the effects of barrel length on accuracy.

A footnote to the story though...
Yeah it was way cool - and just shows the skills that can be achieved. It was just too bad that 20 seconds after he did this, Weasel then stuck his head in aplace it shouldn't have been, and got gogged himself. He still got mad cheers from everyone on his side of the field though.

goose

Seal1001

Nov 25, 2001
Canada
Visit site
The airgun design info was very interesting. Does this mean that the Armson Stealth barrels which are internaly rifled a complete waste of money?:confused: From what I've read there are people who swear the rifling helps. I have been interested in these barrels for sometime and do in fact want to buy one(also see post "Armson Questions"). I might be stirring up a hornets nest with this, but I would like some info on it.:rolleyes:

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
The Armson barrels are a different story altogether, although the theory is a bit similar to such weird creations as the flatline barrel.
The rifling causes the ball to spin, thereby making it less susceptable to external influences (read: air). The ball sort of drills through the atmosphere. This works really well, as long as the ball is traveling fast, i.e. when it just left the barrel. What happens when the ball loses momentum is sometimes funny to behold. The paintball can go anywhere it damn well pleases. Up, down, left, right, or anything in between.
I used to have an Armson barrel on my automag (when I still had one, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away....) and the things are sweet at short to medium ranges, after that, they sucked. So if you play up front, you'll be fine. Back players, give these things a wide berth.......Make sure that, should you want one, you get one with porting. The unported ones (which I had) are noisy as hell! A short, sharp barking sounds is what they make! Woof! Woof!.
Hope that helped somewhat.