Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Tips for getting started in Paintball

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
Welcome to All new folk, If your reading this thread your probably looking for advice on what kit to get, how to get into the game etc. Hopefully this thread will be a good start off point for you.

1st, Assuming you have already played on a day out with your friends/family at a local site, you would perhaps like to have a look at other types of Paintball are out there.

There is Tournament balling which takes on a variety of formats. This is generally played on an open field with inflatable bunkers set about the place, general rule is eliminate opposing team players and hang their flag at your start gate. games can last from a few seconds to a few rounds within a time period.

Then there is Rec balling which is similar to what you'd get at a site if you paid £50 for a days game at various themed games, difference is usually price and most players have their own gear.

finally there is scenario paintball which tends to take place in woodlands and will follow a script or a theme and can take place over a weekend.

All of the above games have different styles of play/kit so what you you want to play is up to you entirely so just go out and have fun.

now kit wise

Before diving straight in and buying the most expensive, shiniest paintball gun you want.think about budget. not everyone has money to buy the best straight out, but a little pointer to get you started.

Mask
Hopper/Loader
Air tank
then marker

Reason being is... Most sites, tournaments, teams etc have spare markers that they're normally happy to loan out (may cost a small deposit or something) so based on that.

If you get a mask first you can protect your eyesight, and it becomes personal and comfortable to you, rather than being worn by many people before you.

Again try before you buy, what is comfortable to one person may not be comfortable for you. Most shops have a range you can try on. dont scrimp on the mask as you only get one pair of eyes.

regards to air tank and loader/hopper, these again depend on preferences and budgets, in the classifieds on this forum there is usually some bargains to be had, or even check out the stores listed on the sponsors bar. these items can be transferred over from marker to marker wherever you play.

most walk on players or tournament players dont seem to mind if you borrow kit (with permission obviously)

doing this gets you into the field quickly, gets you playing and having fun without a huge start up cost.

Markers are dependant on type of game you play and again budget, but if you do the above, by the time you come to buying a marker you may have tried out a few different models etc and may have formed a liking to a particular maker/model etc.

*Quick addition* Playing Gear
If your planning to join a Team they may have their own sponsors, and uniforms so once your on their roster get yourself kitted out same as them.

however for training and regular playing. a decent pair of Playing trousers (pants) with padding should last you a while. Jerseys, whatever you can afford and like the look of.
there are now playing clothes for Scenario and tournament formats.
Padding, should be comfortable and not move around too much, slide shorts, knee pads, elbow pads or even bounce vests offer that little extra protection thats always handy if you plan to throw yourself around like action man.

rest of it's down to how much you can afford, though 2nd hand is a good way to start.

I'm sure I've missed out some advice etc, but you can get the gist from above, and I'm sure other users will add their advice as well.

Last edited:

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
air bottles tend to come in two variations, a steelie or a fibre wrapped. steelie is the straight up can of steel as you'd normally find at a rental field. a fibre wrapped is as the name says..

fibre wraps tend to be a lot lighter than steelies, though a bit pricier.
all bottles tend to use a standard thread size and will usually fit all markers.
ratings? there are 2 fill sizes 3000 psi and 4500psi. a lot of players prefer 4500psi tanks as they can accept a bigger refill if it is offered, whereas a 3000psi tank will only accept 3000psi.
Inspected, a company called HPac seems to be the main that offers testing and inspections, however if you buy new you get about 5 years worth of life in it before it needs testing.

Safety, if you are unsure as to how to refill, use an air tank someone at your local site will show you, i also believe one or two tournaments offer a quick training session on how to safetly handle tanks and give those that attend a pass to show at future tournaments.

I will post up some photoes of some of this gear etc, and hopefully this thread will be stickied to make it easier for people to find.

G

Gassy

Good start Rat,I like this post so it's now a sticky on the newbies board.

If others want to add please feel free but do not push your product views on people,this is to help newer players not brain wash them;).

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
If anyone else has info to add, please do so. Although, it might be a good idea for Rat to take this info and edit into the opening post. That will keep it all in one place, and easier to read.

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
Thanks fellas/fellaettes... will update this weekend with pictures ands other advice that may have come to mind/been mentioned.

oi M4GICKZz io

Mar 19, 2011
Just played for my sixth time, been told that I am a bit of a crack shot (sniper) wondering what marker to get! any help?? thanks

upzii

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2011
For me one of the most helpful things was to get to know the marshals at my local sites, Generally most of the marshals are really helpful and will know other people who are in the same sort of situation as you are and generally know of events in the area :)

1983dan

Apr 16, 2011
leeds
Can anyone help me please.
My back ground is P.C.P (air rifles),But because people cant use or follow the law in my new area its hard to find land to shoot.Anyway i have been to Docaster in the past and loved it and some of my gun shops sell them so i thought way not it still gets me out .So i want to know the best way to set up a team and what is the law with paint balling.
Please if you can help me it would be grate thank you

BaconDude

Rawr.
Dec 3, 2010
High Wycombe
Setting up a team... you may want to join one first and learn the ropes.

As for the law... well, same as any firearm. Don't carry it around in the street, only use it when on a proper paintball site... don't shoot or aim it at people without headgear on...

Reactions: Viva79 and 1983dan

1983dan

Apr 16, 2011
leeds
Whats the best way to get in a team? Just go down and ask or practice, practice.
If i was to have permission of some land. What kind of insurance do i need
Thank you