Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

To buy or not to buy - ION?

JTD1993

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2007
Chatham, Medway, Kent, UK.
Thanks Skeet,

I do think the PMR looks a lot better. Wont require a new feedneck. If I understood what I read the bolt is easlily accessable (?).

Also what eye's does it use? I want to avoid bounce beam, as thats what my T1 has and they were pants!

All in all tho, is it worth the extra £100?

I am looking at new prices. I know people look after their equip but you never truely know what has happened to a marker. (may actualy buy 2nd hand, will see)
The bolt is very easily accessable, Turn off the air and gun, degas, undo the back cap, push out the bolt with a fluffy.

It uses break beam, I've had a PMR and not chopped once!

Yes it's worth the extra, you just need a new feedneck, on/off and back cap, IN MY OPINION!

Joe

Kevy D

Retired, lol
Aug 6, 2007
Northern Quarter
I'd say GO FOR IT mate, same story for me, I had been out of it for a while and ended up starting from scratch again.

I got an Ion and stripped it down the same day, LOL. I've learned everything I know about modern day markers from this gat, they perform really well in tourneys (even standard) and you can gradually buy upgrades for it as you go.

With regards to breaks, I've only had a few in the last few months and have never needed to remove the bolt to remedy them, just a quick unscrew of the barrel, squeegie and wipe of the eyes, away you go - can be done on the field if need be. So basically, not being able to remove the bolt out the back hasn't been a problem for me at all.

You definitely won't be flamed for owning one because even the uber-marker owners know what good value the ion is, I think it's a marker that still gains great respect..

For cost effectivity, it's a winner in my opinion.

If you are willing to go up to £250 for a marker as you say, I'd also recommend you take a look at the Epiphany - a nice beefed up version of the ion (kind of) - got a load of nice parts as standard and shoots ropes no problem (nice looking too).

.....and there's my 2p worth :D Hope it helps!

Hobo_Joe

Enjoying the view...
Oct 30, 2004
London
Lol, looking around the Ego looks very similar to a Dragun T1... assume it owns the crap out of it tho.

JT, I was likeing the whole, it comes with a clamping feedneck... if it needs to be replaced it just add's to the price

Skeet

Platinum Member
Can't beleive you said that.

I love ion's to bits as this was my starter marker and I upgraded after 11 months to a PMR.

So Ion's and PMR's? No comparison no matter how up'd the Ion is.

The new SLG thingy is Proto's answer to the Ion, and should corner the market for electro starter markers.
Ion = Downmarket, cheap version of the Shocker
PMR = Downmarket, cheaper version of PM

So, yes, it is Protos answer to the Ion, albeit much better. As is the Etek to the Ego.

It's not a comparison to the Ion...

Skeet

Platinum Member
Lol, looking around the Ego looks very similar to a Dragun T1... assume it owns the crap out of it tho.
Only ever so slightly!!:D

If you are on a budget, then really, the only wise choice is to buy used...seriously.

If you buy from here, as long as it's from someone who has been around a while, or can be vouched for, you wont go wrong.

An Ion, is a £140 new, marker and Ego 5, for £200, is a £800 new marker...and that isn't just the name you are paying for.

If you buy an Ego that has been used, new set of o-rings and pistons and the gun is literally like new, only better as the body has been worn in and they are so easy to tech. Also, there is pretty much bugger all to go wrong on them.

Hobo_Joe

Enjoying the view...
Oct 30, 2004
London
Thanks Kev,

Im not too stressed about getting laughed at, there is a pic of my T1... gold *hangs head in shame*.

I play mostly rec-ball (walk-ons where I can). I dont think I am tourny material. When I am back in the game you will see me hiding in the corner working on my gun when not on the field and running around like a nut when on the field... so dont sit and talk much and give people time to laugh at me.

Dont get me wrong, would love to play a tourneys but got to have a team, and all the guys I played with have quit and sold up (and left the country)... so Im the lone ranger.

On the getting back into it after ages, glad to see Im not the only one. Its nice to get a perspective from someone who is in the same boat.

I saw the Epih, but new at £300 is out of my range.

I see your point Skeet, I have bought and sold on here and am very trusting... just dunno. I have some time on it (April is going to be my first game).

Kevy D

Retired, lol
Aug 6, 2007
Northern Quarter
No probs Joe, just to correct you though, BZ have the Epiphany for sale at £205 now BRAND NEW.... having used one I'd say they're definitely worth that.

As for not having a team, where are you based? We all go to Northern Quarter near Manchester Airport, top bunch of lads (most are on here) and you can be put into a team for the tournaments, you also get some fantastic advice. That way you can decide if it's "your thing" or not....

Hope this helps.

O.J

TEAM LUCID!!1!ONE!!
Aug 29, 2003
newcastle upon tyne
Ions are really nice guns for starting out. but if your anything like me youll want to upgrade after a while. my first marker a few month ago was an Ion and i recently sold it for a PM5.

to be honest for the extra £50 you get alot more than an Ion can offer. so my view is you should break out the extra dosh and get something a little more expensive (second hand off here) that you know will last you alot longer, is of much better quality and can handle the field better. :)