Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

To buy or not to buy - ION?

Hobo_Joe

Enjoying the view...
Oct 30, 2004
London
Thanks Kevy,

I am a Londoner unfortunitly or I would take you up on that offer. I have done some more research into it and will look at either the Epiphany or something like an Ego 05 (thanks Skeet).

Thanks to all you have been a big help... eyes on the forums now... got to find a deal or a steal

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
Yes get one.

If you are the type or person not scared to open it up and have a good old look round and will keep it maintained well that go for it mate.

You wont find anything at the moment that out performs the ion based in that cost bracket.

Keep an eye on the classifieds and look out for one that already has some upgrades, you'll save yourself a few pennies that way.

Hope that helps
qft

couldn't have said it better

Suns

Apocalypse Paintball
Mar 16, 2006
Cambridge
Am I the only one that would say do not buy an Ion?

Its a nasty piece of work, and constantly has problems....

.... now to just sit back and wait for all the complaints :)

*suppose I better add thats my own personal views*

Kevy D

Retired, lol
Aug 6, 2007
Northern Quarter
Suns, if you've had bad personal experiences with the ion then I'd say you're within your rights to say that. I had a couple of probs with mine (mostly my fault though) but I class these as an invaluable learning experience, which would be ideal for Joe seeing as he's just starting out again..... hope that makes sense?

Marcus Geezer

Platinum Member
Am I the only one that would say do not buy an Ion?

Its a nasty piece of work, and constantly has problems....

.... now to just sit back and wait for all the complaints :)

*suppose I better add thats my own personal views*
ho hum.... :) we all have our opinions.

I don't agree with Suns, but to be honest with the way some of the PM5, PM6, Ego05, PMR etc prices are dropping, and with the release of the new budget Proto, I'd be heard pressed to recomend an Ion now unless someone really has only less than £100 to spend on an electro marker.

Ion's have had their day as the newbie starter marker, and I think it's time to recognise this.

Suns

Apocalypse Paintball
Mar 16, 2006
Cambridge
I think one of the most common phrases for an ion owner is probably "my gun doesnt work".

Ive seen it too many times, and yes I had my own personal experiences with Ion's. As you can probably tell, I don't like them :D

Lovetone

Peter Pan of Paintball
Feb 25, 2005
Manchestoh
www.myspace.com
the caveat is this:

the ion is a suprisingly complex (but also simple, paradoxically) marker to tech, and keeping it running requires a bit more thought that your average blow back semi for instance.

spool valve guns require TLC

your average noob low IQ player (lets face it, in paintball, theres a lot of people who dont pass GCSE) who doesnt know their barrel from their breach will quickly get stumped.

The ion is not a marker you can use day after day gumming up the internals with paint and dirt and expect to grab it out your kitbag working 100%.

the other problem is most these noobs wont even read the manual .

ergo - dont blame the tools, blame yourself.

the ion is a great bit of kit for the cash and there is only now markers coming into the fray that can touch its performance for sub £150 new 2 years on.

Suns

Apocalypse Paintball
Mar 16, 2006
Cambridge
Ion manual? oh the couple of pieces of paper stapled together? yeah... really great manual.

An electro marker targetted towards new people to paintballing who want to play at tourney level with a low budget, yet as most people who have an ion, or have done in the past have had to do is immediately change the trigger, drop forward (maybe add an oops), and feedneck. A marker that magically adjusts the reg whilst sitting in the box, and magically seems to fall apart when not being used.

Hobo, if your going to strip it down to learn it and REALLY take care of it, fair game. There is pretty much nothing else out there for the price.... but seriously save a bit more money, or buy second hand (DM5, ego05, mini...).

Lovetone

Peter Pan of Paintball
Feb 25, 2005
Manchestoh
www.myspace.com
If you cant look after an ion, then chances are a DM5 will be way beyond you.

as for the manual, it tells you what you need to know for the basics of keeping it running. For everything else there is the internet. That applies for most markers, as interpretation of even an amazing manual (such as the ego) can sometimes end up being subjective. WRT Dms, there is never a concensus on say, the best lube, and in fact the dye lube that used to come with them was **** - so again, look to the net for more advanced help.

Ion regs are reportedly some of the best in the business. You should always chrono from day to day, and even morning to afternoon as ambient temperatures can affect FPS. Also I beleive there is a locking nut out there for ion regs.

FWIW the stock equipment on an ion DOES suck - but so does that on say, a PM5. The feedneck was ****, it had NO ASA, and the barrel was a 12'' one peice like the ion. and that was a mid-high range marker in its hey day.

Lots of people change or have to add items to their guns.

the ion has a decent board and useable stock equipment out the box so all you need to do is add air and loader. It comes with everythnig you need to maintain it. as for falling apart hmm dunno bout that. the ion i had was mint.