Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Tournament Paintball Coach - How to find one?

Henry.B

London Hope #73
Jun 9, 2002
Amersham
Hi all,

Could anybody please advise on how to find a tournament paintball coach to coach and develop a team to high division standard?

Many Thanks! :)

kway44

Controlled Aggression!
Jan 26, 2008
South London
Could anybody please advise on how to find a tournament paintball coach to coach and develop a team to high division standard?
You could try and get Dave Stewart to help you guys out I think he's coaches down at bricket wood. I used to play on his team Outkast back in the day:sneaky:

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Hi all,

Many Thanks! :)
This mostly depends on how deep your pockets are!

You are best looking for a recently retired player, preferably one who has successfully played at the level you aspire to and has the time to devote to your team. Then you'll probably find that the minimum you'll need to do is pay your coaches expenses, i.e. travel, accommodation, food etc. and provide any kit they need.

There are lot of people out there who think they know how to play paintball and 'coach' their own teams by simply spotting and calling the opposing players from the sideline, this is not the true function of a coach. You should really be looking for someone who understands the complex 3D aspects of the game and who can impart their knowledge to the team, someone all the team respect and will listen to, especially the team owner and/or captain.

Someone who will be there when you train and run endless drills until you have mastered the basics, find your strengths and weaknesses and work on them to your advantage and keep beasting you until you get it right. Then when you do play they should be able to devise game plans for you, scout the opposition and be able to debrief you and adapt your plays between games/points.

You first need to have a team meeting and decide between you what you want, and what your budget is! For instance, if you live in Newcastle and your coach lives in Bristol, its going to get expensive on the travel front.

You need to commit 100% to your coach, I can cite one instance where after training a coach (then a recently retired successful pro-player) gave specific dietary advice to an aspiring Millennium team on what to eat pre/post training and event for the best performance, who then totally ignored his comments and went straight into Mcdonalds. Suffice to say, that relationship didn't last long.

I'm not going to make any particular recommendations, as I don't know who is available or what commitments they may have outside the game. It may well be worth your while, after you have had a team discussion and have worked out if you are in a position to afford a coach, to post up a wanted ad for one!

Reactions: Henry.B

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Step 1: Get money.
Step 2: Pay money for good coach.
Step 3: There is no step 3.
Step 4: Become a paintball god.
Step 5: Win everything.
Step 6: Start swimmin' in women and champagne sippin'.

On a more serious note, don't for one moment think that any retired player, even if he was the best, makes a good coach. Coaching and playing are two totally different beasts.

Henry.B

London Hope #73
Jun 9, 2002
Amersham
Hey guys thanks for the advice!

Would you happen to know any such qualified persons? From where we are now, we'd like to play division 3 at CPPS next year, and continue up the divs over the coming seasons. International tournaments would also be on the menu, but the idea is to get the team well organised and proficient so we can (hopefully!) achieve our goals

Thanks!

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
At your level your best bet is to train and play with teams better than you. get beaten, whopped but learn from it. Figure out why you got beaten then go fix it and try again.
You don't need to be paying a coach. Yet.

Approach other teams, they may be glad of the training partners, go to training days run by pro players and listen to what they're telling you, don't go flat out to try and impress them, just learn.

Even getting your team down to watch other teams training will be a massive help, you will all know what's expected of you then.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
And just be organised. Its all very well having a laugh, but there should be a common want to win in the team, and a certain level of concentration, ESPECIALLY AT A TRAINING DAY GRRR!!! If you want to win stuff, turning up late to training half pissed is no good to anyone.

The winners are the ones who wanted it more.

Reactions: Dusty