Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
what has changed to tournie ball to bring up a thread like this

we are all looking at formats etc,etc

but the biggest change has been the field on which we play

from the days in the woods

to present day with xball

the fields have got smaller and smaller,thus shortening the game time as it,s in your face from the start

when we look back to the halcyon days of uk ball

it was when we were playing in the woods and the close years after when we had a mixture of woods and sup-air

so maybe we have to take a step back to move forward

if we look at the only growth in uk paintball terms ,it is in the scenario/recball scene

why is this

maybe it,s because it is the closest thing to punter ball,but back in the day tournie ball could be included in there aswell

tournie ball in the day was easy to get in to as most sites could run a tournie and usually had a site team

so if you think woods site =200+

sup-air =10+

woodsball =large fields

sup-air=small fields

so here goes keep the format players like but start a woods ball league to run along side sup-air

this will give the new players and old the best choice

keep the format the same for both but the field size will obviously change

p;s amazing how much you can waffle after a few beers

RICH HARRIS

The legend limps on
Nov 18, 2002
Living on the edge, often bouncing on a ledge
Speaking form my point of view the reason we have gone back to basics is to try and start again. Hence why we have the mixed rounds to establish the seeded divs for the later rounds. It stops the self declared issue and sand bagging in theory.

Thing is im a fan of playing different level teams like the old Millennium system back in the days of 7 man. The biggest highlight for us was going to an event knowing that you could draw a team like Avalanche, Dynasty or Iron Men and also have the chance to play some decent Am teams. Then you could talk about how long you lasted and if you managed to shoot any pro players out.

Something we are looking at closely with the CPPS for 2011 (and this year) as an ongoing evoloution of our events.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I used to start 7man with around 7 pots, now I play with 3 and hardly finished them.

Thib, you cannot possibly compare your experiences from 7 man with your experiences with the present game mate ......... I am gonna let you work out just why and come back on agree you cannot make the above statement in the context of it 'meaning one damn thing' .......

The whole premise of this post is flawed I'm afraid Thib.

Parksy

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
Newcastle, UK
All I can say is with a format such as xball you require non playing players to suport your team (ie some kind of pit crew/coaches). Personally I started playing paintball because guess what I enjoyed playing! Not coaching/potting up/gassing up. I think people that enjoy doing this type of thing are probably in the minority... most of us want to play I would guess.

I hate ramping still, sadly though the reasons it was introduced 5 years ago still remain in that gun cheats running illegal modes were readily available (even more so now!). The only way we could police things was to allow ramping to be introduced :(

Although I must say that at 10.5bps the game today is more flowing than it ever was back in 2005 when we had 15.4 when going through 7/8 pots in a game was normal!!

As for xball I hate it for a couple of reasons. The first is the whole coaching side of it. Back when coaching wasnt allowed teams actually had to communicate! A player could make fantastic run throughs, or blind moves to different bunkers without the fear of someone calling out what was happening.

Paintball at most levels is not a spectator sport. The fact TV never picked it up shows that anything without a central focus (football=ball, badmington=shuttle etc) shows is not viewer friendly in any format really.

Paintball changed to try and fit tv... xball format, 5 man, small bunkers, coaching, to try and give spectators better views and interaction with the games. For some reason it didn't pan out and we stuck with it anyway.

Don't get me wrong I think there is room for the format, probably in the upper echelons of paintball (Pro divs), where the level of play makes it exciting to watch and actually has some meaning.

I think I'm getting old... would love to see a return to 7 man, with fields that allowed players of all ability to play (back when back bunkers allowed back players to play them! ;) ). There was no coaching so teams could just as easily lose a game by not communicating as not shooting the opposition.

In my mind as well never has there been such a turnover in paintball of players/teams as in recent years :( Is this due to the cost of the game for players, or the fact they don't like the new fields/formats? I'm not in a position to answer sadly... Personally I went with the flow on the direction paintball pushed players (yes none, or very little of it when implimented was we the players choice at the end of the day). Most decisions were derived as a means to make the industry $$$, not to improve the quality/value of the game we play. How many players and teams though just decided it was a step too far and walked away at that point...

G

Gassy

meaning.

I think I'm getting old... would love to see a return to 7 man, with fields that allowed players of all ability to play (back when back bunkers allowed back players to play them! ;) ). There was no coaching so teams could just as easily lose a game by not communicating as not shooting the opposition.

Amen to that brother,either the bunkers in the backline are getting much smaller or we are getting much bigger,I cannot remember the last time I got a 8ft cokecan in the back corner,usually its a small brick or witches tit these days:rolleyes:

WingNut

UK Redskins
Oct 31, 2003
Essex, UK
www.uk-redskins.com
im pretty sure that a hopper and 4 pots per point is a rule for F5's
No, that is not correct.

There are no limits on paint used.

You can only shoot as much paint as you can from a 3000psi fill. This is why it is limited to 3000psi or else you'll see people with 15 pots and such putting down roots behind bumkers.

Even if your in the best position on the whole field, eventually you'll run out of air and have to return to the pits.

As mentioned, I see absolutely no reason why paint would want to be limited....

We played 4 games @ 15mins each. In total, as a team we shot 14 boxes of paint between 8 of us. That's not that much...... for 60 minutes of on field time with 5 players.

Wingy...

Oily

Big kid
Jul 30, 2006
Radcliffe,Manchester
As mentioned, I see absolutely no reason why paint would want to be limited....

We played 4 games @ 15mins each. In total, as a team we shot 14 boxes of paint between 8 of us. That's not that much...... for 60 minutes of on field time with 5 players.

Wingy...
What i'm trying say is if you have paint limited to say 2 boxes per player+entry fee then that player knows exactly how much he/she has to save up/scrounge/beg/borrow to play.
If your going into a game and not knowing how much money you need then it puts people off.
We're trying to get people into the sport and if they see other teams with big piles of paint then they're not going to come back as some can't compete against it.

john251282

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Bristol
www.google.co.uk
What i'm trying say is if you have paint limited to say 2 boxes per player+entry fee then that player knows exactly how much he/she has to save up/scrounge/beg/borrow to play.
If your going into a game and not knowing how much money you need then it puts people off.
We're trying to get people into the sport and if they see other teams with big piles of paint then they're not going to come back as some can't compete against it.
But those same people might be put off if they see a whole team all shooting £1k markers and top end loaders etc, and also having 1 or more backup setups. Or they might all be shooting top of the range tourny paint and they are using cheap stuff.

They will also might be put off by playing people with sponsorship/support or people that have played in high divisions in the UK or have done Milleniums or PSPs or NPPLs.

A more suitable place for those people is KOTH. Hopefully once this system is up and running there would probably be a division system, generally(though not always) the people in lower divisions spend less. Just like in most equipment heavy sports e.g. car racing. It is up to an individual and their team to decide how they choose to spend their money, e.g. do they want to buy a new gun or do they want save to paint at a tourny.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Then tell people thats what they will use. Its going to be between 1-2 boxes per day per player.

:thumb: