Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Trying to ressurect an old tippman 98...

Tom Gaskell

Apr 16, 2022
So i have 2 tippmann 98s, one is my main, the other I bought as a back up... sadly I can't get this one to work.

Symptoms are, trigger pull followed by tapering fart noise. Kind like a low tank sound.

Is this a power tube issue? What would be the best first points of check

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
So i have 2 tippmann 98s, one is my main, the other I bought as a back up... sadly I can't get this one to work.

Symptoms are, trigger pull followed by tapering fart noise. Kind like a low tank sound.

Is this a power tube issue? What would be the best first points of check
A common cause for the fart & a form of full auto is the trigger sear. When the air pressure has dropped too low the bolt/hammer doesn’t cycle fully and therefore fails to engage on the sear which results in burping and auto cycling. This can also occur due to wear stopping the sear from engaging.

As it’s an old one that you’re bringing back to life I assume it’s been sat around for some time, which means it could probably do with a strip down, good clean, check out the o-rings and give it a fresh oiling.

Here are some troubleshooting things to look out for

Reactions: Tom Gaskell

Tom Gaskell

Apr 16, 2022
A common cause for the fart & a form of full auto is the trigger sear. When the air pressure has dropped too low the bolt/hammer doesn’t cycle fully and therefore fails to engage on the sear which results in burping and auto cycling. This can also occur due to wear stopping the sear from engaging.

As it’s an old one that you’re bringing back to life I assume it’s been sat around for some time, which means it could probably do with a strip down, good clean, check out the o-rings and give it a fresh oiling.

Here are some troubleshooting things to look out for

Brilliant reply thank you, very informative. As I don't have a bottle for it, it was last tested at a paintball site so I can't elimate the use of low gas pressure. It had been stripped recently with all o rings replaced.

I'll open it up again and check the wear on the bolt and trigger to

Thanks again