Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Tsunami hits big time!!!!!

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
On the flip side, the PA is a National League, there are no two ways of looking at that, and entry was open to everyone to take part. In all fairness if you're not taking part you can't really claim to be the best in the country can you? Anyone can say "oh we're way better than they are so we don't need to prove it"...but that does wear thin after a little while. After all, anyone can talk a good job...

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Originally posted by Hatts
But I'll answer your point. The PA is important. I haven't over inflated the value of anything, but sadly it's important for reasons I doubt someone like you will ever understand.
Originally posted by LIVE THOLS
Funny how its only you saying that, bit of a coincidense dont you think?
He's not the only one at all, a lot of people feel that the PA is important and have said so. Me for one, but there are plenty of other examples.

D6

Jun 21, 2002
Nakatomi Plaza
Originally posted by Steve Hancock
Well go on spell it out for us. :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :confused:

Pretty obvious to me. Nothing against the PA- was there yesterday- good event. But the claim is that if you're not there means you can't be the best in the country is what the quote implies. You knew that- go bother someone else :rolleyes: :p ;)

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
The reason it wasn't obvious to me was because that is not what Hatts said - Teams that don't play the national league can't claim to be the best. That doesn't mean they are not the best in the UK, but if you want that title you should make it one of your goals and set out to achieve it. The national league or cup might be a good way to do that.

And anyway the best uk team is a transient and indefinable title, just a claim. "Best team in the UK" is always just going to be an opinion, even if it is a widely held one. Based on performance - is it done on averages or most resent result? Hypothetically nexus could beat Birmingham Uni 20 times in a row, and then my boys could beat them once at the end of the day, would that make us the best team in the UK? No. What about if we lost to them 20 times, then went away and trained solidly for 6 months and then beat them, who knows.

And back to the football analogy, if one team wins the FA and another brit team wins europe, does that mean the FA winners arent national champs? Admittedly the teams will have played the FA as well, but there have been occasions where teams have not fielded there best players in the FA in order to save them for europe, effectivley not playing their best and potentially sacrificing the UK title.

Mark

UK Cougars
Jul 9, 2001
England
www.ukcougars.co.uk
Just a thought is there ANY domestic (as in English) tournament where the winner can be called the champion of the country, this can't be applied to the Millenium as only one leg is held in the UK and has european and american teams playing in it.
Do Nexus or the Tigers play in any tournament where they could win and be called champions of the country? There isn't a single tournament in this country where anyone could be called the champions of the country...the closest IS the PA Cup.
Other English teams might well be able to play the winners of the event/series and beat them with one hand tied behind their back.
To use the often quoted football analagy, you have the minor leagues and then you have the FA cup (a knockout tournament for ALL) this is the benchmark for football, how many times have the Premier league winners been knocked out of the cup....loads and often the team that actually did it came into the full time league and overall have been doing well since (with some hiccups...Watford?)
An attempt was made some time back to try and do a amalgamation of the winners of different series to attempt to get a sort of "true" champion of the country...all seems to have gone quiet now.
On personal note I have travelled abroad and spoken with total outsiders about why I am travelling and they always say "oh you are the english champions !" Not even close! I am english sure and I have the money to travel to a foriegn tournament but it certainly doesn't make me an english champion! But you try to explain that and it goes over their heads as they hear what they want to hear, same as this press release (you can substitute read for hear in this case)
The UK has many tournament series and as I have already said but in case any reading this missed it ;) the PA Cup is the closest we currently have that will allow a team to call themselves the Champions of the country, the Millenium doesn't as it is a single event, KOTH is closer than the Millenium. Lets not try and go down the american route of calling events World series when they are not true World events, in our case the word would be National.
BTW I do understand there will be some who will disagree with this post but think of it logically first before you answer this.

PA Cup, Teams from all over the UK play
KOTH, Teams from all over the UK play
SWPL, Teams from the area of the UK play (a couple of exceptions)
Dartford 7's, Teams from the area of the UK play (a couple of exceptions)
Millenium, Teams from all over the UK play and Europe and America, with no geographical divisions
So the thrust of these tournaments is which can the winner be closest to saying that they (the winners) are the National Champions.

* edited for spelling, nothing more ;) *

Vampire

Second Time Around
Well put Steve and Mark :eek: - pretty much on the button for me, and hopefully spells it out for everyone. Having said that, a quote came to mind: 'there's none so blind as those who will not see';)

In any case, the important word in the quote (whoever it came from) was 'among'. In my book competing in a national league automatically puts you 'among' the best in the country because for all of those teams who take part, there are ten times as many armchair paintballers (myself included:p ) who continue to dither (for whatever reasons) about entering such a competition. Additionally, just look at Tsunamis's result! Based on that, and the fact that most people on here have heard of them, puts them 'among' the top teams in the country.

Whatever your viewpoint is on the thread hijack - I think we can all agree to give a hearty 'well done' to Tsunami for raising the public image of paintball. I for one am looking forward to what comes out of the Sky filming!