Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Tsunami hits big time!!!!!

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
I suppose the midlands masters have become the UK masters. So you could technically say it is a national series. But i don't think it claims to be. I think it comes down to what is recognised as the national title. And i get the impression that most people see the PA as that.

Geez, you guys get your knickers in a twist easy...

Back in tha day, b4 NPPL and PSP did a Tammy Wynette, we had NPPL and NAAPSA. NAAPSA proclaimed themselves as tha North American Pball Assoc., NPPL did tha same - if you won NAAPSA you were American Champions, if you won NPPL you were American Championss...and nobody worried about it.

Why?

Cos tha best were exclusively playing NPPL - they knew they were playing tha hardest oppostion, tha industry knew it, and they just got on with it.

Now, no disrespect meant, but y'all have got tha same situation here - and I don't see Nexus, Tigers and Shockwave having a cow about it. Because, just like back in the day when Aftershock, ironmen and AAS were ruling tha NPPL, they knew they were playing tha big league against tha big guns. As do tha UK's big 3.

Bottom line: at tha moment nobody - NOBODY - cares but ballers. And ballers know tha score...IF tha PA league makes a success of itself on TV and sponsors come rolling in, then the big boys will get interested...until then they play where they want to play, and where their sponsors want them to play - tha leagues with the best of tha best.

If you're a player, it's about bragging rights first and prizes somewhere waaaaaaaaaaay down in second - and when you get good you only get bragging rights by taking on and beating tha best. At the moment, the best of the UK plays Milleniums and NPPL - and all ballers know that.

Tha team that wins tha PA League will be the best team in the PA League. Now, if tha PA league does what Dick Clarke has been threatening to do, then you will see tha big 3 playing tha PA League, just like you'd see Dynasty, Dogs etc. clamoring to get into tha NXL. And then the PA winners will be tha best team in Britain.

Who would still be about tha 15th best team in tha world - but hey, you're a small island.

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Spot on TJ.

-The 3 teams (shock, Nexus and Tigers) will all play where the competition is. And it will allways be in the EXL, NPPL and MS events.

-The PA is on its way to bringing paintball to the public. I wish it well. If the resulting winner of the PA wants to proclaim themselves as the best in the country then thats fine with me. Firstly i dont care, secondly, it is too hard to quantify anyone as the best in the country. And thirdly nobody will take any notice because everyone knows that there is a far bigger picture than the UK scene here. The reason that the like of Shock, Nexus and Tigers dont play the PA is because rather than wanting to be the best in the UK, we all want to be the best in Europe, and in the world. Thats the reason that we all train our assess off, and travel to the USA to train, play and dedicate so much time to the sport.

-Tigers, Shock and Nexus also do not have the time to play the PA. Between training and playing and travelling every weekend, there is precious little time left to play UK events. I sincerely doubt that you will see Nexus or Shock play in the UK before Campaign (Tigers played a D7, not sure if they will/wont play another).

Hatts, i respect what you are trying to do with the PA. I think that the effort you are putting in, as well as time and resources is spot on. Congratulations. But in the grand scheme of things, you are small time. There is no denying that. That does not make the job that you do any less important however. A competition that does nothave the likes or Tigers, Method, Shockwave, Nexus, Hybrid, etc... can not claim to produce the best team in the UK.

When the PA champion is crowned UK's best team, can i have an autograph?;) ;)

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
I agree with a lot of whats said, but the distiction needs to be made between national champions and the best team in the UK.

Last year the European champion was an American team, who clearly aren't the best european team.

Are the top Brit teams from the Millenium and NPPL interested int playing the PA cup this year, that would settle things.

It's the weekend before the last round of the milleniums in Malaga, so i'm guessing some coaches might not want their teams playing. It would be nice if they could play. And if they don't see it as relevant for them, then there is no reason why should bother on our account.

Also i don't know if politics will get in the way.

Who needs to settle anything? The guys who win tha PA Cup/League are tha PA Cup/League winners - I don't think they are gonna start proclaiming themselves tha best team in Britain.

Tha best team in Europe is tha European team that finishes top of the EXL..tha best Brit team is the one that finishes highest in tha EXL.

In the US it's more complex, cos you have an argument that there is a pretty even match of talent between NPPL and PSP, but in Europe you ain';t got that problem - tha best in Euroland are in EXL.

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
The best UK X-ball team might not be the best UK 7 man team. Although this year they probabley are.

And the national champion doesn't necessarily need to be the best team in the uk. Are the winners of the FA cup neccesarily the best uk footy team? Although it would add more credability to the title if they were the best, or had beaten the best (not always the same thing).

Originally posted by Steve Hancock
The best UK X-ball team might not be the best UK 7 man team. Although this year they probabley are.

And the national champion doesn't necessarily need to be the best team in the uk. Are the winners of the FA cup neccesarily the best uk footy team? Although it would add more credability to the title if they were the best, or had beaten the best (not always the same thing).
As you say, this year they are, so it's moot.

And on point 2, AFAIK tha understanding is the best team is the one that wins the premiership, tha fa is secondary to that cos its a knockout. You ask anyone which is worth more, league or cup, they say league - cos that shows thae best team over the entire year, right?

So PA League winners, over tha season, are superior to PA Cup, yes?

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Going on the football analogy yes, but if top teams that are not in the league entered the cup, i think the cup might be worth more. Although a league system might be more accurate in determining the cup would be more inclusive.

Do nexus shock and tigers play any UK series?

Flash-Bugout

doin' other stuffs
Jul 6, 2001
need to get hold of Tank for an exit
Originally posted by TJ Lambini
AFAIK tha understanding is the best team is the one that wins the premiership, tha fa is secondary to that cos its a knockout. You ask anyone which is worth more, league or cup, they say league - cos that shows thae best team over the entire year, right?

So PA League winners, over tha season, are superior to PA Cup, yes?
Anyone can get lucky on one day/in a knock-out competition, but to do well over a full league requires either a high level of skill, or a certain amount of voodoo.

So I'd say yes, the league shows who is consistently better. Probably/Possibly. ;)

MrPink

Banned
Aug 15, 2002
Cook$ mom's house
www.ltpaintball.com
Originally posted by Steve Hancock

Do nexus shock and tigers play any UK series?
Not as far as I know - the level of competition of even the best domestic competition is only of International Am B/Div2 standard with a small handful of teams being of Am A/Div1 calibre, it simply wouldn't be worth those three teams entering any league as they wouldn't benefit from the lack of competition present and could improve their respective games better by training and scrimmaging amongst their peers:)