Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

TV gone bad! (formerly "The Jordan show" thread)

The ****e that passes for TV nowadays is nowhere near as good as what used to be on Telly.

I highly recommend Equinox and horizons from the 70's to the early 90's.

While the modern incarnations of Horizon etc are still very good on the whole, the series in its entirity its been on a downward slope of dumbing down for more than 30 years.

Episodes of note are:

Horizon:
Einsteins Universe (Peter Ustinov looks at Einsteins theories) (1979)
Professor Hawkings' Universe (1983)
The mysterious Mr Telsa (1982)
The pleasure of Finding things out (Richard Feynman Interview)
Frank Whittle the genius of the Jet (Im not ashamed to admit, I climaxed the first time I saw this one)
The Blind Watchmaker (Richard Dawkins program from when he was a lot less angry)

Equinox
Einsteins Biggest blunder
A very British A bomb
Russian Rockets

Stuff like this is simply not made anymore. And never will be again I fear.

If your into science and can find any of these programs, get them you wont be disappointed.
Nothing on TV or DVD is like this nowadays.
They are such a refreshing contrast to the dumbed down turgid ****e that passes for TV at the moment.

b.johnson

Mar 9, 2009
The ****e that passes for TV nowadays is nowhere near as good as what used to be on Telly.

I highly recommend Equinox and horizons from the 70's to the early 90's.

While the modern incarnations of Horizon etc are still very good on the whole, the series in its entirity its been on a downward slope of dumbing down for more than 30 years.

Episodes of note are:

Horizon:
Einsteins Universe (Peter Ustinov looks at Einsteins theories) (1979)
Professor Hawkings' Universe (1983)
The mysterious Mr Telsa (1982)
The pleasure of Finding things out (Richard Feynman Interview)
Frank Whittle the genius of the Jet (Im not ashamed to admit, I climaxed the first time I saw this one)
The Blind Watchmaker (Richard Dawkins program from when he was a lot less angry)

Equinox
Einsteins Biggest blunder
A very British A bomb
Russian Rockets

Stuff like this is simply not made anymore. And never will be again I fear.

If your into science and can find any of these programs, get them you wont be disappointed.
Nothing on TV or DVD is like this nowadays.
They are such a refreshing contrast to the dumbed down turgid ****e that passes for TV at the moment.
I couldn't watch it all as I have a new born who spoils all my fun but there was an extremely facinating show the other day called How long is a piece of string with Alan Davies about quantum mechanics. There is still good television on now and then for the 1% of people who actually have a brain. The discovery channels are pretty good also.

vmaxnick

Not in the face!
Apr 8, 2008
West Country
www.rhino-trikes.co.uk
Thing is guy's, sometimes you just want to be entertained, not enlightened. I appreciate that there are still a few intellectual programs to be found if you are prepared to channel hop constantly; the history channel (Yesterday) still has some interesting WWII stuff on albeit repeats ad infinitum!
To be honest, if I want to just kick back these days without sitting here suffering carpel tunnel, I just end up watching endless repeats of 'Top Gear', 'QI', 'Never mind the buzzcocks', and 'Room 101' I know they're just space fillers but at least they are aimed at those with an intellect over that of the average 8 year old.
Unless you believe the cynics who say that our whole school examination syllabus has dumbed down, then our kids are becoming more intelligent. So who are all these lowest common denominator programs being aimed at?

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
I thought I saw Jordans name on a loaf of bread the other day, but when I looked closer it said 'Thick Cut'

Plus, I heard that Jordan's claim to fame was that she once made peter andre happy AND sad at the same time (wow). She apparently just told him he had a bigger xxxx than his brother...

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
But even Discovery Channel has a tendency to become shouty and stupid these days... :(
Yeah, making nature fun apparently translates to making nature loud and stupid: "Core blimey mate! 'E's a beaut!" is no replacement for the distinguished and yet deferential tones of Sir Attenborough explaning the escape techniques of the pebble frog.

As easy as it is to slip into nihilistic doomsaying, Vmaxnick's interpretation seems most balanced to me. I'll never understand the appeal of Jeremy Kyle, but that's why I change the channel and watch Dave. His webcam is pretty rubbish, but he's always willing to dance for me until I'm done.

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
I thought the fact I am finding it increasingly more difficult to watch TV anymore was an age thing but I see this slide into media diarhhoea cuts across all boundaries ...which of course beggars the question, the TV basically puts out what people wanna watch ...... what does that say about us?
Now that fact worries the hell outa me.

Personally, I now watch very little TV and I witness a significant dumbing down of content............and so, how do we reconcile the knowledge that most of us have family members seemingly addicted to this cr@p???
My feelings on the subject exactly,it's like the suggestion that the Japanese Premier apologized for war atrocities through 'The Sun' because he believed that it represented the views of the British public, and to a large section it does...feking scary.

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Successful people have much less time to watch TV. They have lives, schedules, and work longer hours. They are no longer the audience. There are hundreds of thousands of people that go home and immediately turn on the set, or never left home in the first place. They are the veiwers, and they include a high percentage of 'Mouth-Breathers'.

Mouth-Breathers LOVE reality TV.