Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

UK National League Champions 2005

luke kelly

Jun 29, 2002
wherever my job takes me
I believe that we do have champions right here in the UK, but they're not getting any satisfaction in the form of positive feedback. This has to be be having a negative effect on them.

As far as I can tell the Russians are one of the only non-American Teams that seem to offer the yanks a consistently high level of competition. Nexus, Tigers and Shockwave have also do this to a lesser extent so we are doing something right.

I guess we have to just keep pushing and loving our sport until we can get through that membrane and out the other side. We'll know when that's happened when all the bitching stops.

I support all our top-teams, 'cos I know they love this sport as much as I do. And I bet I speak for the silent majority.

Our top-teams, and players, need us. We should show them respect without idolising them. This way I think they are gonna get better, and we'll have to be better to beat them. That's healthy competition.

Out in the States, and I haven't seen this mentioned here in this thread... we're loved. The Yanks respect us, the mere fact that I'm English opened so many doors that I thought I was dreaming. And they respect our top-teams too, because they have the aggression necessary to win. Aggression was a real key word out there in CA.

Peace, Luke.

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Another big issue in the UK, is that it's easier to get funding to paint gay whales on the side of a drug rehab centre than it is to put money into sports. Specifically in paintball, there is no entry level competition....anyone can enter almost any tourney, fine, but you'll be facing top end markers from day 1. It's demoralising and it makes the sport intimidating for newbies. What we need is true entry level...... low end, limited kit and tourney priced paint. Most players first experience of paintball is a shoddy marker and an £80 paint bill. With entry level, everyone can get a taste of tourny without bankrupting themselves.
We are getting it set up now. Sup air, 4500 compressor, the same place storming the castle was held (all in place already). Tourney will be priced like a walk on, limited paint and equipment (so no true 'tourney markers'). We'll see how it goes, drum up some interest. We've also started doing ion rental for tournies, I had four total novices at simply the best, we kitted them out so they could get a taste for tourney. All it really takes is for more sites to start doing this (it's a hit in the pocket though)..... that's what will attract new blood. Every site has a hundred or so prospective new ballers every weekend, where the hell are they all going?

D

duffistuta

Originally posted by Paintball Paladin
My name isn't Tara, I was saying ta ra which is a way of saying goodbye where I am from. (Preston, NW of England)

Really?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

I think TJ just whooshed you Chris...

Luke - what do you mean about feedback?

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by JoseDominguez
Another big issue in the UK, is that it's easier to get funding to paint gay whales on the side of a drug rehab centre than it is to put money into sports.
We also have to bear in mind that in the UK paintball is frowned upon by many types of authority, and the Sports Council (or whatever they are calling themselves this year) categorically will not endorse paintball as a sport however hard people like Steve Bull have tried.
So trying to compete at world level in a sport which is under attack from various parties and is culturally frowned upon by very large numbers of the general public isn't going to be easy.

P

Paintball Paladin

Originally posted by JoseDominguez
Another big issue in the UK, is that it's easier to get funding to paint gay whales on the side of a drug rehab centre than it is to put money into sports. Specifically in paintball, there is no entry level competition....anyone can enter almost any tourney, fine, but you'll be facing top end markers from day 1. It's demoralising and it makes the sport intimidating for newbies. What we need is true entry level...... low end, limited kit and tourney priced paint. Most players first experience of paintball is a shoddy marker and an £80 paint bill. With entry level, everyone can get a taste of tourny without bankrupting themselves.
We are getting it set up now. Sup air, 4500 compressor, the same place storming the castle was held (all in place already). Tourney will be priced like a walk on, limited paint and equipment (so no true 'tourney markers'). We'll see how it goes, drum up some interest. We've also started doing ion rental for tournies, I had four total novices at simply the best, we kitted them out so they could get a taste for tourney. All it really takes is for more sites to start doing this (it's a hit in the pocket though)..... that's what will attract new blood. Every site has a hundred or so prospective new ballers every weekend, where the hell are they all going?
You're a true gent amongst sharks.

Where is this site. I'm not familiar with the above events you mentioned.

This is the sort of place that needs to be up and running. Get people interested and the sport will benefit. Also by taking the long term view eventually you will reap your rewards at this site.

Good man

with regards to the funding. That was my point with regards to the increase in support recently for sport. Historically there wasn't really any kind of mainstream funding. Sites like the one you're setting up are the sorts of places that should be funded.

There are equivalents in all other sports where schools of excellence are set up and pros would attend and offer training lessons free of charge. It happens all the time in football. I recently saw a tenneis one in manchester city centre whilst Wimbledon was on.

If this sport becomes big enough and I know we are a long way off funding like this is possible. Also if we dont give them such a hard time maybe some of the best players in the country can do some of the above. I know we have Nexus seminars but at a cost. I'm not saying this isn't fair. The people that run these need to cover their costs. But if these were funded from other areas it would make it cheaper for those that need to go to these things.

there I go again

sorry.

and what the hell does "whooshed" mean?

mad dog

On Facebook
Jan 18, 2002
Nottingham / UK
www.maddivision.co.uk
Originally posted by Liz
We also have to bear in mind that in the UK paintball is frowned upon by many types of authority, and the Sports Council (or whatever they are calling themselves this year) categorically will not endorse paintball as a sport however hard people like Steve Bull have tried.
So trying to compete at world level in a sport which is under attack from various parties and is culturally frowned upon by very large numbers of the general public isn't going to be easy.

Hey to bring an idea back into play, I have 1-2.8 sales ratio and good knowledge of paintball.

Why don't we do what was said ages ago and send someone out on a sales and awareness campaign covering the whole country, lets get other interests in like new and old rocks bands etc into the scene when the weather is good or set up stands, lets put good safe areas up. then small amusement areas for the kids who are left at home. Come on big bouncy castles for the kids would be good.

If we create areas for people to sit and watch tourney ball and other areas of interest, its got to be good not only for trade stands but for business in general.

Why has nobody done this, are we scared of being publically known or is this a taboo area?

With public knowledge enlightened comes more awareness, with little steve the new kid comes his dad who owns a multi million pound business who could inject some sponsorship.

See where im going, its called a pyramid of things to happen, follow ons.

Things become cheaper because the sponsorship is coming in, public awareness is better of what we do for a sport and then if done right first time, our image is a good one.

We have the personalities in this country, we have the persons who should I say have the right attitude to conduct this in the right way, stuff the politics and bitchy comments, just everyone pull together raise the profile, increase the spectators they will bring the money in and hey presto, we have a reconised game.

Come on who dos'nt play different to a crowd.

And before the comments start, " I don't want play with a crowd , I play it for a sport and fun , i'm in it for fun". Well good thats nice tell your wallet that when it costs you less because games become cheaper.

Get a grip, find some mates , have some fun, play hard and aggressive then see if you start winning.

Liz I respect every word, but don't you think after years of this going on its time to change the world of paintball in this country. I have started with a themes attitude to paintball and build scenes from films, to gain the interest of site players. nobody wants to run around bunched mounds of broken sticks any more. And pallets etc or the odd tank here and there.

I build proper film sets safe for paintball, wild west towns, alien planets, war of worlds lay outs. And so on something that when they go home brings a whole new vision to paint ball. They can also play a tourney field soon with flood lit field etc on astro turf.

GOD get a feeling of that been here before thing.

D

duffistuta

and what the hell does "whooshed" mean?
It's the noise of something going over your head...i.e. TJ was taking the piss.

I think there is going to be a big swing in the way sponsorship £££s are spent in the UK next year...a lot less to teams, a lot more on the sort of thing that Jose is proposing.

Be interesting to see how many existing tournament players still think it's a good idea when their deal disappears and goes towards introducing the grass roots to gun ownership and the joy of non-rental Paintball (and not necessarily, or even predominantly, tournament based).

P

Paintball Paladin

Originally posted by duffistuta
It's the noise of something going over your head...i.e. TJ was taking the piss.

I think there is going to be a big swing in the way sponsorship £££s are spent in the UK next year...a lot less to teams, a lot more on the sort of thing that Jose is proposing.

Be interesting to see how many existing tournament players still think it's a good idea when their deal disappears and goes towards introducing the grass roots to gun ownership and the joy of non-rental Paintball (and not necessarily, or even predominantly, tournament based).
It all sounds great to me.

I'd also like to think that TJ wasn't turning a mature debate into a school yard slanging match. I think he was being genuine.

but I like to be positive and think the best of people;)

I'd also like to think that TJ wasn't turning a mature debate into a school yard slanging match. I think he was being genuine.

Hey, I can do both at once can't I, I multi-task...;)

Sorry duder, but tha Tara thang well, I couldn't resist. If you set the shot up I just gots to finish it, I can't help it...I'm like Roger Rabbit - I just gotta finish em off.

Forgive me.:D

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
We seem to have two distinct and very different problems here, one of which is in our control, the other not so much.
Firstly, lack of uptake of people who wanna play for reasons already mentioned by lotsa peeps and secondly the attitude we as UK ballers adopt to getting serious about our sport.

We don't show enough commitment, we talk far too much bollocks, would much rather moan and we don't respect success like others do and therefore at one level, we pull the rug from underneath ourselves.

As for any answers?

I been in this game for 18 years now and us Brits have always been the same, so go figure !
We might as well be asking why it's us Brits who disgrace ourselves soo much when we go abroad for holidays and how we gonna change that.
Same coin, different side.
:(:(:(