Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

UK National League Champions 2005

KitsuneAndy

Platinum Member
Originally posted by Rosie
site owners are slightly to blame yeah, as i would never have got into tourney ball if out of the blue i hadnt have been picked up by a supair team, straight out of the woods, having never even seen a supair field.
This all comes back to what I was saying right at the start of this thread.

I'm new to the scene and would never have known tourney ball existed if it wasnt for chatting to an ex tourney player at the local site.

Since chatting to him I've bought my own kit, played a walk on, will be at Staargate and hopefully, eventually make the transition to sup air.

But there could be hundreds/thousands of people who would make great tourney players, who dont even know the scene exists because unless you actively look for it, you dont come across any info at all. And if you dont know it exists, you're not going to look for it.

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Over the many years I've been in paintball I've changed from a bright starry-eyed young evangelist to a cynical old ex-player - all down to the attitude of both the majority of the players and a few people in the industry. We all know this is an expensive sport and we can't really blame people for trying to get their playing cheaper, and many of us know that some traders have quite a high margin on the stuff they sell/services they provide. But not all people providing goods or services are ripping customers off - you can only really judge if you understand ALL the costs, which most don't. And the expectations of many players are insane.

A little lesson for life for all of you out there - you have to expect to pay, both financially and in lifestyle, for success.

Teams like Nexus have earned their sponsorship, gods have they earned it! They work very hard, as Robbo and Ledz said their relationships have suffered, every penny they have & more has been invested in their sport. They don't have any free weekends to go & visit relatives, or have a day out with the wife/girlfriend, or just relax; they are training if they aren't playing. This isn't just me repeating what Robbo & Ledz have said - I know some of these guys quite well and this is based on MY knowledge of them. Then you see "Sunday player" at a tournament whining because his "sponsor" has only given his team 10 free cases of paint that month when the team has played one event and maybe scrimmaged one other weekend, they are up until 2.00am partying the night before playing, they expect to take their families to 'ball for a weekend out. They expect a very high standard of facilities, then moan that they have to pay more. They expect to be treated like professional sportsmen but won't behave like it or show the committment. And when it comes to putting their hands in their pockets.........:rolleyes:

Many of you out there know me, and know that I have done my best over the years to help anyone at any level, all the way from a team at their first tournament to the top pros. I'll drive for hours at my own expense (if I actually have the money!) to help friends out. I'll lend my kit to people if I'm not using it. Then I get some guy I know reasonably well, not a particular friend or anything, EXPECTING me to treat an injury they've picked up (usually because they aren't fit, or haven't warmed up) for free then SULK when I say I will charge for doing something which is how I earn my living. I know this is something personal to me but in my mind it sums up the attitude of today's hobby 'baller - that the world owes them a living and free play. Wel, why the fcuk should I give my (very expensively obtained) skills for free? Why should a paint supplier give paint to a team that may or may not get third or fourth in the middle division of a domestic tournament?

You don't seem to get this attitude from most of the US players & teams, or many of the mainland Euro guys - what is it about UK 'ballers?

I'll still help out people at all levels as much as I can, as I'm a hopeless case addicted to the sport & people in it. But I've come so very close the last few months to packing it all in & not bothering to even keep up with what's going on let alone go to tourneys due to the attitude of some people out there.

Pete, take what Jose D says at face value - I know him quite well & he's not the kind to bullsh*t or manipulate (unless it's obvious!) or support people even friends if he diesn't agree with something. We must find time for a chat at CC :)

figment

AKA Sinbad
Jan 22, 2002
Grantham
Liz ive read all the posts on this thread and to be honest ya hit it on the head with what you have said ..

there are people on "sunday outings to paintball " as well as the players who work for it ,

maybe a lot more sponsors should say "what are you doing for me ? " to the teams .

i can't say for the likes of Shock or Tigers but working at the stie Nexus train at dam these players earn everything they get if UK ballers did half what they do we might be going the right way.

NeXuS guys Rock in my book..

P

Paintball Paladin

Originally posted by TJ Lambini
Hey, I can do both at once can't I, I multi-task...;)

Sorry duder, but tha Tara thang well, I couldn't resist. If you set the shot up I just gots to finish it, I can't help it...I'm like Roger Rabbit - I just gotta finish em off.

Forgive me.:D
Oh the shame:(

P

Paintball Paladin

Originally posted by TJ Lambini
Hey, I can do both at once can't I, I multi-task...;)

Sorry duder, but tha Tara thang well, I couldn't resist. If you set the shot up I just gots to finish it, I can't help it...I'm like Roger Rabbit - I just gotta finish em off.

Forgive me.:D
besides I thought only Women could multi task. :D

P

Paintball Paladin

Originally posted by Ledz
Your wish is my command master.

My last comment isn’t relating to Nexus but just the UK player base in general. Nexus hold the odd Seminar from time to time. They have had mixed attendance but most recently quite poor and in fact a waste of time (Financially) doing. Also Markie C has put his hand in his pocket to bring some of the XSV guys over early to hold a clinic. By all accounts the take up on this hasn’t really been what it should be. Why is this? Are the Brits so arrogant that they can’t learn from the Pro’s? Having XSV over in the UK to teach there skills for what £49 a day, its nothing. They charge something like $250 in the states!!! We need to embrace these chances not turn our superior noses up at them.

LEDZ
Have you ever thought that these seminars can be a bit intimidating to a new baller? People approaching you sometimes requires a bit of courage especially when you are maybe perceived as unapproachable. This might not be the case I'm sure you're all sound guys but the stigma attached to a pro ball team is that your arrogant, cocky and sometimes rude. I'm not saying you are, I've never met you but thats the message thats being pumped into new players when you first start tourney ball. What can you do to combat this?

I've never been on one of the seminars personally, I'd never heard of them until a month ago. A couple of my mates have been on this and they said that they are worth every penny. The improvements to their game were visible immediately.

I got to watch the pro tour for the first time a couple of months ago at one of the masters events. You guys are very good at what you do. I'm sure I saw a Nexus player guesting for a team in the King of the hill. He snap shot his way through the whole of the opposition. It was great to watch. There is no doubting that anyone could learn just by watching let alone being taught by you guys

However knowing who you are and what you do can be a bit intimidating for people new to the sport, especially youngsters and thus make it difficult to approach you. Its a bit like my local pub team being invited to a training session with Manchester United. Anyone who wasn't standing in awe at the skills on display would probably feel a little inadiquate dont you think.

What are you doing to increase your fan base here in england by the way? This isn't meant in a cynical way I'm genuinly interested.
I'm very patriotic when it comes to english teams playing in international competitions. Most of my friends are. We also love paintball but we never get to see what you do! Sure we can read about it. But there is nothing better than being able to cheer your team on during a live event. Highlights just aren't the same.

Now on the UK scene I'd support whoever was most local to where I lived. I'm sure most people in England are the same. So you might not get the great support here but you would have a local fan base, but if people were able to get involved with what you do abroad surely that would break down some of the barriers.

What do you think can be done about this. If anything?

I've gone on for too long now and I'm at work so I best stop.

Thanks

Chris

P

Paintball Paladin

Originally posted by AndyDane
This all comes back to what I was saying right at the start of this thread.

I'm new to the scene and would never have known tourney ball existed if it wasnt for chatting to an ex tourney player at the local site.

Since chatting to him I've bought my own kit, played a walk on, will be at Staargate and hopefully, eventually make the transition to sup air.

But there could be hundreds/thousands of people who would make great tourney players, who dont even know the scene exists because unless you actively look for it, you dont come across any info at all. And if you dont know it exists, you're not going to look for it.
We're quite lucky here on the isle of man. The local site owner is a really sound guy who loves sup air paintball. He encouraged us to do it and get involved. He also helped make it cheaper for us etc etc. He's always on call to help us with a marker problem. He's helped us with training and all sorts. More site owners need to be like him. Spot the players who play regularly, let them know about walk ons. We marshall at the site now as a thank you for all his help. We do it for free. Just a way in which the owbers can get something back for giving like Kev did for us.

We've also recently stuck a TV up and we have sup air DVD's playing on that. That has grabbed peoples attention. We make ourselves approachable so people can come and ask us about it. Let them have a go with our markers. We proactively promote it any chance we get.

Anyone who's played sup air knows its miles better than woodland stuff. I'll never go back despite the fact it costs me 10 times what woodball costed.

Just a few ideas anyway and to let you know that there are site owners who aren't just greedy sharks out there.

We love you Kev!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Paintball Paladin
Have you ever thought that these seminars can be a bit intimidating to a new baller? People approaching you sometimes requires a bit of courage especially when you are maybe perceived as unapproachable. This might not be the case I'm sure you're all sound guys but the stigma attached to a pro ball team is that your arrogant, cocky and sometimes rude. I'm not saying you are, I've never met you but thats the message thats being pumped into new players when you first start tourney ball. What can you do to combat this?

I've never been on one of the seminars personally, I'd never heard of them until a month ago. A couple of my mates have been on this and they said that they are worth every penny. The improvements to their game were visible immediately.
Chris

Seems to me Chris, you already have the answers you need in that you mention some idiots generalizations on pros but at the same time you also recognise their value at these seminars.

And so, the answer seems to be, go to one and make your own judgment call and at the very least you will have learnt an awful lot even if we do turn out to be a bunch of arrogant *******s :)

Goatsling

May 24, 2005
Visit site
I guess Luke Kelly would have the answer to this, but as for the treatment pros get over here compared to the states...could it be connected to the segregated nature of how they train? I don't know how things work stateside, but it does sound like you are much more likely to rub shoulders with a pro at SC Village or some other big paintball hub, whereas over here training is more private and isolated. Maybe this leaves the common ballers more star struck, or on the other side, resentful.

Hopefuly the Pro Tour is something that will help this, but it does still seem hard to get to know the baller behind the mask.

P

Paintball Paladin

Originally posted by Robbo
Seems to me Chris, you already have the answers you need in that you mention some idiots generalizations on pros but at the same time you also recognise their value at these seminars.

And so, the answer seems to be, go to one and make your own judgment call and at the very least you will have learnt an awful lot even if we do turn out to be a bunch of arrogant *******s :)
Ok I Will. When's you're next one?

There is still the point of what are you doing to increase peoples awareness of who you are and what you're about in order to combat the petty mindedness.

It is politics, I know but its important. Its all about branding these days and if people associate the Nexus brand with arrogant spoilt fools. You're fighting a losing battle.

Also what's on the horizon with regards to coverage of your tourneys abroad

thanks

Chris