UK National League Champions 2005

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Paintball Paladin
Ok I Will. When's you're next one?

There is still the point of what are you doing to increase peoples awareness of who you are and what you're about in order to combat the petty mindedness.

It is politics, I know but its important. Its all about branding these days and if people associate the Nexus brand with arrogant spoilt fools. You're fighting a losing battle.

Also what's on the horizon with regards to coverage of your tourneys abroad

thanks

Chris
Chris, we ain't gonna set out to do anything to try and negate any petty mindedness etc, we just do what we do and these fools will do what they do regardless.
My guys, as the vast majority of pros are some of the nicest people you are ever liekly to meet in Paintball, as far as I am aware, there is only one arrogant ass on Nexus, the other ten are cool.
And as for your suggestion that the Nexus brand is associated with anything other than professionalism, you have definitely been listening to the wrong people.
We aren't fighting any losing battle here, the Nexus brand is a strong brand and known for many good things not least of which, we don't use cheater boards and trust me, you would be extremely hard presssed to find any other such team in the pro NPPL bracket that can boast the same.
As for what we are up to and how we get on, three letters spring to mind.....PGi.

mad dog

On Facebook
Jan 18, 2002
Nottingham / UK
www.maddivision.co.uk
Originally posted by Robbo
Seems to me Chris, you already have the answers you need in that you mention some idiots generalizations on pros but at the same time you also recognise their value at these seminars.

And so, the answer seems to be, go to one and make your own judgment call and at the very least you will have learnt an awful lot even if we do turn out to be a bunch of arrogant *******s :)
See look guys I understand it all, and one of the answers is this new or old we never stop learning. Robbo himself looks a bit mean sometimes but hes not he's sound, he had an idea has been slated many times as have the rest of us.

Most of the guys in Nexus as you all know got brought in from teams from all over the place and all started as young ballers firing site markers.

This includes all the American guys, what they have been lucky enough to do is to achieve a reconised state of play and had the finances to back them up a bit more.
This means they have played more and played more teams, this equals more knowledge and experiance.

What you get is a day downloading all that money spent training themselves. So you get all that knowledge in one day which they have spent ages learning over a period of time.
Thats not just for Nexus, but all Pro teams, Pro teams still learn off Pro teams.

I tell you this arrogance is a funny word, because most Uk players would call all Americans arrogant but they are not its called confidence. Win or Lose, train yourself be confident and learn from your mistakes.

Sorry if I sound like the old guy white beard and talks chinese proverbs.

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Jose, clever post :rolleyes:

I will roll back my cynicism for the moment regarding you and take what you posted as a truly held belief instead of what I first thought, a Trojan horse of a post to back door in an explanation of why myself and others would criticise hatts.

If I ignore your PA connection for the moment, then I think what you say has some merit, I just hope I am not afflicted with what you suggest because I would hate to think I’m standing in the way, or being critical of true progress in Paintball because of some trivial dislike.

See, this is exactly the problem.......... at no point did you consider any of what I'd said, you simply assumed it was groundless support based on some imagined "PA connection" rather than a considered opionion (I have no PA connection, I played in it, other than that I recieve NOTHING from it...TopGun now owns 6th element after a complete buy out, maybe people are getting confused) So, thankyou for condescending to actually listen to me. Robbo, I'm a teacher, I have a vested interest in teaching. Paintball is my hobby, I make my own decisions. I'm well sponsored by TopGun, for nothing more than having a name that's respected, being reliable, consistent and loyal, I get on well with everyone, mainly because I don't sell out, it's the reason I can swap paint suppliers, sponsors and home field without losing friends. It's the reason I can write for one magazine while still being sent another to proof read. It's the reason I was asked to mod a forum, those who know me are aware I'll always stick by my guns.
This is a major problem in UK ball, no way could anyone actually have an opinion, no, it's all based on ulterior motives...... you see the problem? Politics and all of the bollocks that goes along with it.
I believe you mean what you say, I respected you and your opinion (regardless of whether I agreed) I thought I recieved the same respect from you, it's why I've argued with you in the past, I was actually bothered about what you thought.
'Cynicism regarding me' eh? You don't know me, you don't know me at all.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by JoseDominguez

See, this is exactly the problem.......... at no point did you consider any of what I'd said, you simply assumed it was groundless support based on some imagined "PA connection" rather than a considered opionion (I have no PA connection, I played in it, other than that I recieve NOTHING from it...TopGun now owns 6th element after a complete buy out, maybe people are getting confused) So, thankyou for condescending to actually listen to me. Robbo, I'm a teacher, I have a vested interest in teaching. Paintball is my hobby, I make my own decisions. I'm well sponsored by TopGun, for nothing more than having a name that's respected, being reliable, consistent and loyal, I get on well with everyone, mainly because I don't sell out, it's the reason I can swap paint suppliers, sponsors and home field without losing friends. It's the reason I can write for one magazine while still being sent another to proof read. It's the reason I was asked to mod a forum, those who know me are aware I'll always stick by my guns.
This is a major problem in UK ball, no way could anyone actually have an opinion, no, it's all based on ulterior motives...... you see the problem? Politics and all of the bollocks that goes along with it.
I believe you mean what you say, I respected you and your opinion (regardless of whether I agreed) I thought I recieved the same respect from you, it's why I've argued with you in the past, I was actually bothered about what you thought.
'Cynicism regarding me' eh? You don't know me, you don't know me at all.

The cynicism you mention and the one I am referring to was more directed at people who I 'thought' had affiliations shall we say.
Both Liz and Duffy have now put me straight on that one as far as you are concerned so an apology is in order but I would also ask that you understand what it's like sometimes when I get into it with some people and then out of the woodwork crawl some affiliates whose agenda isn't exactly impartial...I'm sure you know what I mean.

As for paintball's politics staining opinoins, it does yes, but not to the extent you suggest because I honestly think, that when it comes down to it, most people can see thru all the bollocks and make a valued judgement call which isn't too far from the truth.

P

Paintball Paladin

Chris, we ain't gonna set out to do anything to try and negate any petty mindedness etc, we just do what we do and these fools will do what they do regardless.
My guys, as the vast majority of pros are some of the nicest people you are ever liekly to meet in Paintball, as far as I am aware, there is only one arrogant ass on Nexus, the other ten are cool.
And as for your suggestion that the Nexus brand is associated with anything other than professionalism, you have definitely been listening to the wrong people.
We aren't fighting any losing battle here, the Nexus brand is a strong brand and known for many good things not least of which, we don't use cheater boards and trust me, you would be extremely hard presssed to find any other such team in the pro NPPL bracket that can boast the same.
As for what we are up to and how we get on, three letters spring to mind.....PGi.
I appreciate and understand what you're saying. Most of the people you're talking about aren't worth the effort. The people I'm talking about are the ones new to the sport who are being fed jealous lies. These could be worth the effort as they could become a fanbase that may one day generate your team some income.(far off maybe)It didn't however take football very long to become a huge money spinning bonanza.25 years ago Division 1 teams were'nt really thinking about making money.

Now I'm an up front kind of guy and will make my own assumptions based on facts as opposed to heresay. Not everyone is like that though and to stop the rot maybe something has to be done. I dont know enough about the politics
of the game to even start a debate with someone like you but I do know what it takes to promote a brand.

I work for a global brand who for the past 8 years have been involved in the heavy marketing of this brand. Each and every day I go into work and I am asked to promote this brand in my own small way. Whether people are worth my time or not, it is essential for the public perception of a brand for people to automatically associate that brand with positive things.

I have no doubt that in the correct circles Nexus are thought of as you say they are. I am not disputing that. But people who are not in these circles dont know you at all. their perception of your brand has maybe been tainted. I could be making more of this than it actually is. If I am just tell me to go away.

Thanks

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Paintball Paladin
I appreciate and understand what you're saying. Most of the people you're talking about aren't worth the effort. The people I'm talking about are the ones new to the sport who are being fed jealous lies. These could be worth the effort as they could become a fanbase that may one day generate your team some income.(far off maybe)It didn't however take football very long to become a huge money spinning bonanza.25 years ago Division 1 teams were'nt really thinking about making money.

Now I'm an up front kind of guy and will make my own assumptions based on facts as opposed to heresay. Not everyone is like that though and to stop the rot maybe something has to be done. I dont know enough about the politics
of the game to even start a debate with someone like you but I do know what it takes to promote a brand.

I work for a global brand who for the past 8 years have been involved in the heavy marketing of this brand. Each and every day I go into work and I am asked to promote this brand in my own small way. Whether people are worth my time or not, it is essential for the public perception of a brand for people to automatically associate that brand with positive things.

I have no doubt that in the correct circles Nexus are thought of as you say they are. I am not disputing that. But people who are not in these circles dont know you at all. their perception of your brand has maybe been tainted. I could be making more of this than it actually is. If I am just tell me to go away.

Thanks
Well I won't tell you to go away unless your name is hatts or raehl but I do think you may have the wrong impression because I think the Nexus brand is strong (exceedingly strong Sateside) and is known for a variety of positive things and the people you mention over here are an extremely small minority.
I don't believe there is any taint on the Nexus brand at all that isn't already part of a general taint on pros...I could be wrong but I don't think so.

hankin

Jun 11, 2003
Visit site
more likely to rub shoulders with a pro at SC Village or some other big paintball hub, whereas over here training is more private and isolated. Maybe this leaves the common ballers more star struck, or on the other side, resentful.

[/B]
i think its more of a case of going to the correct sites, when the j10 site was open there were loads of uk pros mixing it up with anyone else who turned up, sanchez was down quite alot and the jags and a few of the nexus boys were down most weekends.

Though saying that im not sure which site people are going to now, so this post was completly irelivent

Ledz

Jul 13, 2001
Planet Planet
www.planeteclipse.com
JoseDominguez. In your post it says Ledz in Bold on it's own then your comments. Is this directed at me? If it is I’m sorry to say that i didn't read all the post in this thread and didn't read your points (As i said in my post) i just tried to answer the question about feedback.

LEDZ

JoseDominguez

Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
The cynicism you mention and the one I am referring to was more directed at people who I 'thought' had affiliations shall we say.
Both Liz and Duffy have now put me straight on that one as far as you are concerned so an apology is in order but I would also ask that you understand what it's like sometimes when I get into it with some people and then out of the woodwork crawl some affiliates whose agenda isn't exactly impartial...I'm sure you know what I mean.

As for paintball's politics staining opinoins, it does yes, but not to the extent you suggest because I honestly think, that when it comes down to it, most people can see thru all the bollocks and make a valued judgement call which isn't too far from the truth.
I know exactly what you mean, it's what I've been saying. The axe grinders and drum bangers reduce any discussion to a meaningless gang fight. No point expressing an opinion, the side you disagree with will assume you've got your tongue firmly in someones crack and it turns into a slagging match. Same on every forum, every subject. Everyone believes they are Mummy's special little soldier, no way someone with sense could disagree with them is there? As for those crawling out of the woodwork....... same on both sides, yes, certain people would agree with Hatts if he was roasting their chestnuts on an open fire, but that's no different to those who will use any thread he's involved in to grind that axe they've been carrying since there tourney was threatened or their team collapsed and slunk off from the PA (or in one case who's sponsorship was lost before I even got into paintball and has been harbouring a grudge ever since). What this basically does is turn any real discusion into an exercise in futility.... I know some teams left due to genuine problems or concerns, thing is, their argument is cheapened by the petty insults chucked by people who's problems are their own making. It's the British way,you don't need to be the best, just make sure you look better than the bloke next to you.
It's hard to make a judgement call when most of the parties have taken a side before the argument starts. How does a reader know that your concerns are genuine and heartfelt? That Mad Dog means every sentence he types from the heart? That BenFrain is one of the most forthright people I know? That Liz says what she needs to say, regardless of affiliation? What seperates you and them from the bitter and twisted or the fanboys?
Personal experience, nothing more, I believe what you write, same for the others, but only because I know you. Look on the thread, just as an example take paintball palladin..... I don't know him, I've got a feeling he is being honest, but for all I really know, it could be anyone, that's what the politics have done. I'm reading between the lines every time I log on.

JoseDominguez

Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Originally posted by Ledz
JoseDominguez. In your post it says Ledz in Bold on it's own then your comments. Is this directed at me? If it is I’m sorry to say that i didn't read all the post in this thread and didn't read your points (As i said in my post) i just tried to answer the question about feedback.

LEDZ
no, sorry mate, it was just from the post I quoted, wasn't meant to be in there, it's the first line from the next paragraph :) fixed it now, didn't see it hiding in the brackets :)