Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

UK National League Champions 2005

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by Robbo
Then you're an even bigger cynic than I, glad to see I am not alone. :)
Peace out
Pete you may be a cynic in most ways, but in a few cases you show an amazing faith in human nature. In fact, you remind me of why Ian Botham was so useless as captain of the England cricket team - he was incapable of motivating the rest of the team because he just couldn't understand why they weren't motivated simply because they were playing for England. In the same way, you love this sport even more passionately than I do (which is really saying something) and just can't understand anyone who is in it for anything else e.g. money, bragging right etc. and this comes out in the other thread about playing Div 1 to win or Pro even though you know you'll end up near the bottom of the table.

But I'm the same; however many times I get shafted by someone taking advantage of any kindness by me I still get up off the floor and try to help someone else, and just hope they don't equate niceness and ethics with weakness as so many around us do.

luke kelly

Jun 29, 2002
wherever my job takes me
Intimidation

Originally posted by Goatsling
I guess Luke Kelly would have the answer to this
Hey Goatsling, I wish I did have the answer mate, but it'll just be my opinion so take it any way you like.

In CA I basically walked over to the Oakland Assassins, said hello, they heard my accent and asked why I was in Corona. When I told them I had saved up all my money, moved out of my house, given up a great relationship with my girlfriend (yes Nexus I know what it's like), and quit my job just to spend 6 months learning to play Ball, they flipped. My first experience was playing with the OAs against the Philly Americans at X-Ball. This was a real baptism by fire, I was in at the deep-end.

This kind of thing happened EVERY weekend.

So how does this relate to intimidation. Was I intimidated by the Pro Yank teams.... YES of course I was, but I had something to break the ice... something the yanks love... that something is a hardcore attitude (the accent helped too!).

The yanks love to see someone trying to do their best, it's earns respect.

But you know what, in the States there were tons of Div2 Div3
teams that couldn't get anywhere near Dynasty, Wicked etc. And that's just 'cos they were intimidated.

Now intimidation in the UK is WAY different, I do think Brit Teams are harder to approach, but the reason is.... well it's the chicken and the egg... they may be defensive towards unknown Teams/Players and as a result those Teams/Players are defensive towards them, or maybe it's the other way around. I dunno and I just went cross-eyed.

I think if you called Robbo or Twizz and said "Hey I have a kick-ass team, we train every weekend and we wanna see if we can beat you, we're all really up for it" then you'd get the same response as you'd get from Dynasty, so long as you were legitimate that is. Remember this is just my opinion, they could tell you to naff-off.

Maybe we all need to go out for a piss-up together, something's gotta give.

Sorry Goatsling, didn't really have an answer did I...!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Liz
Pete you may be a cynic in most ways, but in a few cases you show an amazing faith in human nature. In fact, you remind me of why Ian Botham was so useless as captain of the England cricket team........

Liz -I think that's the first time I have been described as useless at something and still been heartened :)

mad dog

On Facebook
Jan 18, 2002
Nottingham / UK
www.maddivision.co.uk
RE: Intimidation

Originally posted by luke kelly
Hey Goatsling, I wish I did have the answer mate, but it'll just be my opinion so take it any way you like.

In CA I basically walked over to the Oakland Assassins, said hello, they heard my accent and asked why I was in Corona. When I told them I had saved up all my money, moved out of my house, given up a great relationship with my girlfriend (yes Nexus I know what it's like), and quit my job just to spend 6 months learning to play Ball, they flipped. My first experience was playing with the OAs against the Philly Americans at X-Ball. This was a real baptism by fire, I was in at the deep-end.

This kind of thing happened EVERY weekend.

So how does this relate to intimidation. Was I intimidated by the Pro Yank teams.... YES of course I was, but I had something to break the ice... something the yanks love... that something is a hardcore attitude (the accent helped too!).

The yanks love to see someone trying to do their best, it's earns respect.

But you know what, in the States there were tons of Div2 Div3
teams that couldn't get anywhere near Dynasty, Wicked etc. And that's just 'cos they were intimidated.

Now intimidation in the UK is WAY different, I do think Brit Teams are harder to approach, but the reason is.... well it's the chicken and the egg... they may be defensive towards unknown Teams/Players and as a result those Teams/Players are defensive towards them, or maybe it's the other way around. I dunno and I just went cross-eyed.

I think if you called Robbo or Twizz and said "Hey I have a kick-ass team, we train every weekend and we wanna see if we can beat you, we're all really up for it" then you'd get the same response as you'd get from Dynasty, so long as you were legitimate that is. Remember this is just my opinion, they could tell you to naff-off.

Maybe we all need to go out for a piss-up together, something's gotta give.

Sorry Goatsling, didn't really have an answer did I...!
When luke left Sabre to go abroad,Paul and myself said just go, you may never get a second chance. He kept in touch a lot over email.

I recorded most of it because the hints and tips he found from the States was valuble information, stuff we don't learn over here.

I respect him for that, hes not been playing as long as most players on the scene but he got off his ass and tried to learn more.

Robbo is putting guys together who can teach you stuff just by watching them if you know what your looking for.

I personally feel times are beginning to change and people are now listening.

Good in a few years if we carry on listening to the top men who have been around a while maybe then we may have 10 plus pro teams representing the country.

P

Paintball Paladin

Originally posted by JoseDominguez
Personal experience, nothing more, I believe what you write, same for the others, but only because I know you. Look on the thread, just as an example take paintball palladin..... I don't know him, I've got a feeling he is being honest, but for all I really know, it could be anyone, that's what the politics have done. I'm reading between the lines every time I log on.
Just for the record, everything I say i mean from the heart.

I aint anyone big in paintball. I'm a div c player in the uk masters enjoying my first full season playing sup air. I aint got no axe to grind, I dont know anyone on these forums but by the same token I aint here to offend anyone either.

I just wanna improve myself and my team and make it easier for us to play more often. Not much to ask eh?

Thanks

Chris

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
You may be surprised at how many people you know on these forums. I know you don't actually know me but I'm hopefully going to Lincoln this Sunday so if you're there, look out for the fat middle aged woman with red hair hanging out with Wolf City Union and come & introduce yourself :)

P

Paintball Paladin

Originally posted by Liz
You may be surprised at how many people you know on these forums. I know you don't actually know me but I'm hopefully going to Lincoln this Sunday so if you're there, look out for the fat middle aged woman with red hair hanging out with Wolf City Union and come & introduce yourself :)
Cool,

I couldn't actually make it this weekend. I've been to all seven rounds this year and travelling from the isle of man every month has taken its toll. Not to mention all the other costs. Just short of a grand for the team every month.

anyway it was my turn to sit out and let someone else play. You'll see my team wandering around in blue angel tops. Look for the lost boys. If you actually see us play any advice would be most welcome just ask for steve.

See you at the Welsh if you're going.

Thanks

Chris

Raffles

Going....going....not quite dead yet...
Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
Just in case anyone was wondering (which I doubt) - I am staying out of this one, except to repeat something that I said last year on another forum: "Paintball is all about attitude - and Brits have plenty of it - just the wrong sort!".

*gone*

Markie C

Carlos Spicy Weiner
Aug 1, 2004
Northern Quarter
www.northernquarterpb.com
Re: RE: Intimidation

Originally posted by mad dog

I personally feel times are beginning to change and people are now listening.

I dont i think we are getting even more stuck up if people dont want to learn off the top people in the sport then who are they going to listen to.

Some of the best player's on the kelly's are booked in to be at the xsv clinic because i they want to be is the best.