Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

UK Paintball Marker Advice 'Rap4'

paul01

Aug 19, 2015
Hi

I'm new to the paintball scene but would very much like to get involved, i have been looking into the mag fed paintball and think i would prefer this over the regular games.

After lots of research and window shopping for paintball markers i came across this one...

http://www.rap4uk.com/RAP4-LE-p/1041.htm

The 'Rap4 Mets'.

I know it says law enforcement, but it is also for sale to the public

My questions are...

- is this marker legal to own & purchase in the Uk
- is the full auto legal on this marker in the Uk
- is this classed a 'RIF' and if so would this be legal in the Uk
- it shoots at a velocity of up to 450 fps is this legal as the caliber is smaller at .43
- are their any clubs that would allow the use of this marker in the Uk

This is a great looking marker and would love to buy it, I just would like to know where i stand if i did!.
I cannot seem to find much information on the legal side for paintball.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
[QUOTE="paul01, post: 1582640, member: 39848"
- is this marker legal to own & purchase in the Uk
Yes but see * below

- is the full auto legal on this marker in the Uk
Strictly speaking no, but it's a nice grey area
However you cannot use the mode in the UK whether it's legal to possess or not

- is this classed a 'RIF' and if so would this be legal in the Uk
By the word of law if anyone thinks it's a RIF then it's a RIF
Possession of a RIF is legal.
Whether it's a RIF or not then use, carriage etc fall into other legislation anyway
If you're responsible when storing and transporting, use it on paintball sites etc then as an owner you have no problem with RIFs
The seller is liable for the correct sale of RIFs
See * below

- it shoots at a velocity of up to 450 fps is this legal as the caliber is smaller at .43
We have 6 or 12ft lbs in firearms legislation, 300fps in paintball from case law
Many paintball guns are capable of exceeding those and could be found unlawful
Keep to site rules at normally 280fps and you're fine

- are their any clubs that would allow the use of this marker in the Uk
Paintball sites, provided they allow you to use .43

I cannot seem to find much information on the legal side for paintball.
http://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/paintball-and-the-law.171875/

[/QUOTE]
* RIFs

Recently the ukpsf brought up RIFs and paintball with the home office, the response given (of course subject to a case for precident) was that paintball may be exempted from the Vcra and RIFs under the same frangible element that protects paintball from parts of firearms legislation

Rap4uk were born about the time of the Vcra and effectively protect UK rap4 buyers from risks at customs
They were the first paintball retailer to act upon a potential defence for players with a membership scheme (following a police study fact finding visit)

Under the Vcra it is the seller that is legally liable for establishing the buyers valid defence for purchasing a RIF
If it passes a border (eg at customs) the importer is liable (an importing retailer/distributer or private individual)
This means that in this case it effects rap4uk, not you as the buyer
If deemed illegal they are liable for a major fine, hence the retailers getting the ukpsf to bring it up with the home office
If in doubt, sign up as a player member with the ukpsf

Reactions: Care_Bears

paul01

Aug 19, 2015
Many thanks Tom,

That has cleared up a few niggles i had,
still kinda feels like this marker is right on the edge and could possibly slide on to the wrong side of the law it all seems very grey to me.
I guess as long as i stick to the rules and have a tangible reason for the possession of this marker ie... (part of a club), i should be ok.

May i ask do you know of any paintball clubs here that allow .43 cal?
I'm guessing clubs with walk - on's are a little more lenient towards the markers?

ellie123

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
i would persoanly recomend you buy a speedball gun or a gun of that shape because they are much better for the money and you can still use it if you get into speedball, guns such as a proto rail, etek, or an invert mini

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
i would persoanly recomend you buy a speedball gun or a gun of that shape because they are much better for the money and you can still use it if you get into speedball, guns such as a proto rail, etek, or an invert mini
I would concur with that advice in general for a new player, even though my collection spans a great variety of shapes and sizes

It's a common misconception that 'speedball guns' are for speedball and woods all guns should be big

However Paul has stated that he's looked around and is interested in magfed paintball
An 'ergonomic paintball gun' would be of use to him if he moves onto speedball, and is just as good in the woods. But pointless in magfed
(Though a magfed event that is 'limited paint' and not strict magfed would allow stick feeds etc)

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I guess as long as i stick to the rules and have a tangible reason for the possession of this marker ie... (part of a club), i should be ok./
I forgot to mention a workaround
Two tones are Vcra exempt.
You could paint over 50% of it with one of the bright colours. But a bit dramatic as it will depend on status under Vcra
(when rap4uk had that police visit they made available blue/black mix 'training' parts as an option)

Currently I would say you are demonstrating the appropriate common sense and don't have to worry too much
Get a big orange or red barrel condom and slap that on it, then bag it

For sites that will allow .43 I don't know.
But it would really be walkons, and asking local sites
If the site allows byo paint then that will be easier
If a magfed player logs in they could direct to magfed events and where sites are '43 friendly'

I'd also recommend going to Facebook for one of the UK magfed groups to find those who will have the info

Big_jim

Team PUPS/PBM
Feb 10, 2010
Buy a 68 cal mate. Far easier and more common paint size. Look at the RAP4 468, the Milsig M17, the maxtact TGR or even the tipmann TCR. Designed from the ground up for recreational use you will find any of these will better serve you. I do urge you to try magfed before you buy though. Many magfed events offer marker rentals for guys wanting to try. Many people are drawn to the "tacticool" promise of the format but do not consider it's drawbacks. As magfed is still fairly niche they are more difficult to shift on should you find in retrospect it isn't for you.

paul01

Aug 19, 2015
thanks for the replies

As far as i can make out from the 'Guide on Firearms Licensing Law' 2015

It should be noted that the majority but by no means all guns powered by carbon dioxide
which discharge paint pellets and which are used in adventure games are unlikely to
cause serious injury, nor were they designed as ‘weapons’. As such, they should not be
considered to be firearms.

So I'm assuming the 'Rap4 Mets' paintball marker is then classed as a toy (not a firearm which an airgun is!) would fall under the 'RIF' category which is why Rap4 have their membership scheme to cover against the 'RIF rules within the VCRA 2006' and being classed as a toy the full auto is also legal.

Would this be the correct assumption or understanding of the law for the paintball marker?

Thanks btw 'Big_jim' i have been looking also at the '468'

joeslewis

Aug 24, 2015
Would highly recommend that you buy a speedball marker something like a used etek 4 would be a very good gun to start with

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
Would highly recommend that you buy a speedball marker something like a used etek 4 would be a very good gun to start with
Did you read the first post, he's looking to get into Magfed paintball, i'm pretty sure an etek 4 won't fall into that catagory.