The Home Of European Paintball

UK Paintball

Syd (NSPL)

NSPL and Pr0to KotH
Aug 30, 2001
Torquay, UK
www.purepaintball.co.uk
Originally posted by Robbo
Syd, I would love to believe that what you suggest is the case mate but the more I talk to people the more I am becoming convinced otherwise, if you care to look at the final Millennium rankings there is no such evidence of any resurgence in Brit ball and if you are telling me your assessment is based upon what you have seen in-house, then I am afraid it remains untested until these players / teams venture outside this UK sphere.
Now what’s very important here is that I don’t want people running away with the idea I am dissing anybody, I am just making an observation on what I have seen.
OK, the strength and scope of your opinion about UK talent and motivation aside, what's your opinion on the rest of my post? It was written as a direct reply to your comments, so I would be interested to hear if you think the plans in place are along the right lines to improve the player pool.

To summarise, the UKPSF needs to educate venue owners about the positive aspects of getting involved in the Walk-On scene. Then the King of the Hill series' need uniting and expanding to encourage more rec-players to step up to tourneys and provide a place for hobbiests to play tourney in Open divisions at those events. The quality of Domestic Leagues is improving and can provide a place for aspiring sportsmen to flourish. The Pro-Tour then encourages this and filters competitive standards back down from International Play to Domestic Leagues.

Any comments Pete?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Syd, this is what I know :- every time I have seen a group of young guys (and to a lesser extent girls) who are playing as rentals who then see pros (or whoever, as long as they are serious ballers) playing alongside, the interest shown is significant.
The majority of them look on with huge interest in what's going down. I am talking from actual experience here in that when Nexus train amongst ourselves and sometimes against others and those dog-ball games are seen by rentals, it pretty much blows their minds as to what real paintball is all about.
They see a bunch of guys screaming out to their primaries, diving here there and everywhere and it truly is a spectacle of athleticism and one that they previously would never have associated with the sometimes sedentary woodland game of rental paintball.
It's an eye opener for them and as such seems hugely attractive, this is not idle speculation here, I have seen this time and time again.
I know this sport of ours has huge potential but the next step, that of selling the game so that we convert that significant interest into recball and ultimately tourney players somehow then goes awry.
I am all in favour of what you suggest but at the back of mind it seems as tho we may be just arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic a little differently; I also readily acknowledge we have to start somewhere.
We do need a coherent tourney circuit and leagues such as Bully’s Wendy’s and the PA all go some way toward fulfilling this requirement.
The pro league sits atop of this pyramid of leagues and any assertion that differs from this runs contra to the interests of overall consolidation because we need to recognize actual (and not perceived) hierarchies here before we move forward.
I think what you suggest can certainly help with what we need to do and good luck to you is what I say, I just seem to be thinking the more fundamental of our problems is a systemic lack of ambition from our players and as such, no matter what arrangements and infrastructures we make available for them in terms of walk on venues, I’m just worried we ain’t got the numbers to make them viable.
This is as things stand now I hasten to add but……if we educate people or rather showcase tourney ball (like those flash Yank vids we often see) to rental players then I think we can generate interest in the right demographic of young people.
Coz at the moment, we just don’t have the right people in paintball playing for the right reasons.
But I just can’t imagine our average Del Boy site owner going down this road and this perhaps suggests we need to have visionaries start the process of enlightenment and hopefully others will follow.
Make no bones about this Syd, this is a process, and will take time and money but if you’re up for it then I am sure there are enough right minded people to help you.
But…you must choose them wisely because for every person who really knows what they are doing in this country, there are another 20 lined up behind him ‘saying’ they know what they are doing….and they don’t.

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by PKNUTZ
sorry if this has been suggested or sounds stupid:eek: but why not have a second squad just to play uk tournies for the players who may have the talent but not the experience to play the nppl or other us tourneys yet?
Any second team of any pro team that plays in the US would play Millennium.

Millennium is easier to play than the NPPL, but still of a high standard. Playing in the UK at regional events is largely a waste of time and resources.

From my point of view, I would try and convice the rest of Shockwave to play the Midland Masters (for example) only if there were a significant number of teams who are of quality playing already. If Joy, Ton Ton, Nexus, Tigers and Menace were playing it then we would be there. Unlike the atttitude of most UK teams, why waste time and money if you know you are going to be the best team in the league, teams need to push themselves against the best, not sandbag against lesser teams

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
From what i have heard of warped's site, they seem to have a good model for converting people through the specturum of paintball. Please forgive me if this is not 100 % accurate, and anyone from their feel free to correct me on any details.

They have a Recball club that they promote to their rental customers. It gives rentals that want to play more often the structure to join, and the events to attend. They also have the site's home team, wolf city union. This has a number of squads playing at different levels. They all filter through nicely, allowing people to progress. And from what i've heard it works.

What would be nice would be if all sites did this. It would go a certain distance to helping the situation.

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
Hi Jeff

Both inside and outside works fine - albeit indoors is obviously to be preferred, as it cuts down significantly on the need to clean reballs for various debris.... but if you are prepared to wash your Reballs (just hose them down and dry them) after each day of use, outdoors is just as good.

Both need to be on a flooring that allows for easy pick up of the balls after use - carpeting is most common.

Two examples of commercial fields:

Sebban from Joys' outdoor Reball site:

http://www.fameworld.se/_act/PB/index.php?mnuAct=1&mgid=7

Brian from Ugly Ducklings' indoor Reball site:

http://reballarena.dk/

For pure non-commercial training purposes - many teams in Scandinavia have taken to renting gyms for a day, and then setup up inflatable bunkers and play Reball.... no mess no fuss.

Nick