Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Originally posted by Stan
Good work on all this Steve. Call me tomorrow afternoon. Have pm'ed number
Will do.
Originally posted by mike from brum
ah **** I knew I should've put more effort into starting a club up here!
I'll see if I can find some uni forum and put it up on there see if theres any interest :)
Go speak to your SU sports/societies rep. Tell 'um you're intersted in getting a club going and want to use this event to find some like minded people, to start the club with. They should be keen to help, and able to let you know the best ways to advertise for free round the uni. If you're lucky they may even help out with costs for the event.

Let me know how you get on. :)
Originally posted by SpAnKy1000
Hey buddy, Is this strickly UNI only, or can say a City College enter?
Its guideline is higher education institutions.

Here is a list of BUSA member institutions. Link
Originally posted by webby
Steve, have you heard anything from anyone at Sheffield Uni? If so, can you give me their contact details?

I might be able to get 4 complete newbies and myself to play.
There is no one i know of at sheffield Uni. But it would be great if like you said, you could bring down 4 newbies. Especially if they were interested ingetting a club going.
Originally posted by Michael Merola
Basically i thought BUSA covered students on the whole e.g. people with NUS cards
That isn't the case. BUSA is an association of the institutions not the students. To be a member, institutions have to be a recognised higher education provider. Also:
Eligible Participants - For a student to be eligible for BUSA Individual Championships or to represent his/her University in BUSA Team Championships and in BUSA Domestic Representative matches, he/she shall:

i) Be an internally registered¹ student at an institution of Higher Education² that holds current membership of the Association; and

ii) Be registered on a credit rated course (e.g. Degree or HND) 3 ; and

iii) Be undertaking a study programme equivalent to at least 60 credits per year, or in the case of a postgraduate student be undertaking a study programme of no less than 50% of the full time student programme, and

iv) Be a player who is permitted by the governing body of the sport concerned to participate alongside amateur competition in that sport; and

v) Have paid the appropriate Union or Athletic Union subscription.

Ineligible participants - The following students are ineligible to participate:

vi) Students at ‘franchised’ colleges unless recognised as fully registered internal students of the member institutions of the Association (and whose BUSA affiliation fee for the franchised college has been paid by the member institution).

vii) Externally registered students, as determined by the university’s Registrar.
So current hnd or degree students. I haven't bothered looking into how this would affect the Oxbridge type colleges, as none have paintball clubs.

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
The Format & Rules

Following discussion with some of uni players who have experience in tourney paintball I would like to propose the following format and rules for the UK University Paintball Championship.

We decided that most of us know the rules and can be relied upon not to break the spirit of them. So we decided we only needed to describe the specific details of the format and provide a basic set of guidance for the less experienced players. However I ended up writing them up in a bit more detail. :)

Here they are, feel free to post your thoughts. I have tried to weight them such that they give the less experienced teams more of an opportunity to gain some points – centre flag, limited paint, a less ‘all-or-nothing’ points system.

The Format
5-a-side
Centre-flag
Maximum game time is 5 minute

Equipment
A maximum of 2 layers of clothing (each not of excessive thickness e.g. no jumpers, hoodies etc) and 1 layer of protective padding (elbow/knee pads etc) is allowed on any one area of the body.

Clothing must not be deliberately baggy so as to cause paintballs to bounce.

Full face and ear protecting goggles, specifically designed for paintball must be worn.

Markers must be semi automatic only, chronographed to a maximum limit of 280 fps.
Players will only be allowed on to the field with their marker when it has been tested by a ref and found to meet the above rules. If it does not no penalty will be applied, and they will be allowed to go away to tune it and return for testing as many times as time allows. When the head referee is about to start the game they will be informed that they may immediately go on with out their marker or not play.

Limited Paint
The amount of paint each player is allowed to start each game with is limited to:
- one hopper (containing not more than 200 paintballs)
- and one pot (containing not more than 140 paintballs).

Players can not pass pots to, or drop pots for, other members of there team until after the break out, when the game is under way and they have reached the first bunker from which they play.

When a player is eliminated any pots in their possession are also removed from the game. If prior to being eliminated they place a pot on the floor that pot remains in play and can be picked up by active players from either team.

Eliminations
Any player hit by a paintball that bursts and leaves a mark is immediately eliminated from the game.

If a player is hit it is assumed that they are aware regardless of where they were hit.

They must then immediately stop playing (Including moving, communicating or shooting.) and they must attempt to check themselves to see if the hit has burst.

Exception 1: If they are not in a safe position where they are able to check themselves (e.g. in the open or running from one bunker to the next) they are permitted to continue to the nearest bunker first, before immediately checking themselves. They may not fire while moving to this bunker, and they must stop at the first available cover.

Exception 2: If they are unavoidably engaged with an opposition player such that they have no opportunity to check themselves. (E.g. two opposing players in the same bunker trying to eliminate the other first with insufficient cover from each such that they are unable to check themselves.) In such cases a referee is required to determine whether a player is eliminated.

Note: Neither of these exceptions apply if the hits would be visible to the player without having to check, such as on the lens, or hits within their immediate field of vision.

If a player is unable to check the hit themselves they must immediately call for a referee to check them to determine whether the hit has burst leaving a mark. While waiting to be checked they may not continue playing (e.g. communicating, moving or shooting)

Exception 3: They may continue to communicate by calling for a referee to check them.

Exception 4: If an opposition player engages them in such a way that they are unable to avoid them (e.g. an opposition player attempting to bunker them) or if an opposition player advances to a position from which the player is unavoidably exposed. (e.g. an opposition player running down the tape) they may move to take cover in the position they are in, and only if will not be possible they may fire at the opposition player. In such cases a referee is required to determine whether a player is eliminated.

If it is determined either by the player themselves or the referee that the hit has burst they are eliminated.

Eliminated players may take no further part in the game.
The only movement they can make is to leave the field and this can not be done in such a manner as to influence the game (e.g. to distract the opposition or to deliberately shield other players).
They may not fire their marker.
They may not communicate, either to provide team mates with information or to attempt to influence a Referees decision.

Exception 5: Sportsman-like players may inform a referee if they believe that an opposition player that they shoot was hit by them after they themselves had already been eliminated, in order that the referee can assess whether to reinstate the opposition player.

Eliminated players must immediately place the hand in the air and promptly make their way off the field by the shortest route, and then once off the field make their way round to behind their start gate. Note: The route may not necessarily be directly to behind their start gate. If the edge of the field is closer, they must first leave and then make their way round.

If a player has been marked by a paintball and fails to follow the above rules, they are considered to be playing on and will receive a minor penalty. In extreme, blatant or deliberate cases this can be increased to a major penalty. This will be assessed by the head referee at the end of the game.

Neutral Players
If a referee requires he can call a player neutral in order to get access to check him. This will be signalled by the referee raising one hand over their head and shouting ‘neutral player’.

While a player is neutral, opposition players can not fire on or advance on them. If an opposition player does advance on the neutral player, the opposition player will be required to return to their original position. If an opposition player shoots at a neutral player, any hits will not cause the neutral player to be eliminated. Repeated advancing on or firing at a neutral player may result in a penalty.

Wiping
The removal of a hit by a player is not allowed and will result in a major penalty.

Overshooting
Shooting a player more than is reasonably necessary to ensure eliminating them may result in a minor penalty being applied, at the discretion of the referee. Extreme cases (e.g. where it is considered that there was deliberate intent or gross negligence) may result in a major penalty.
Deliberately or excessively-negligent shooting an eliminated player them may result in a minor penalty at the discretion of the referee. Extreme cases (e.g. where it is considered that there was deliberate intent) may result in a major penalty.

Exception 6: So long as it is not excessive, shooting an eliminated player that is not signalling or leaving the field in the correct manner will not result in a penalty.

Reinstating players
If a referee determines that a player is hit by another player who had already been eliminated the referee can reinstate player, cancelling their elimination.

Stopping play
Referees can stop play I they need to deal with either a safety issue or in extreme circumstances to deal with a penalty that can not be dealt with during play. The clock will be stopped and Referees can return players to positions where they were prior to the incident(s) that resulted in play having to be stopped.

Scoring
There will be one flag in the centre of the field.

The following points will be awarded:
- The team with the first active player to grab the flag. 20 points
- The team with possession of the flag by a live player at the end of the game. 20 points
- Hanging the flag in the oppositions end of the field before the end of the game. 40 points (points awarded to opposition for own goal)
- Teams will receive 4 points for each opposition player eliminated and 4 points for each of their own player who is not eliminated. Maximum 40 points

Penalties
A major penalty will result in 50 points being deducted from the team’s score for that game.
A minor penalty will result in 25 point being deducted from the team’s score for that game.
This may result in teams having a negative score for the game.
In addition is a referee suspects that a marker is over the chronograph limit they may test it after the game. If the middle of the three shots ordered by velocity (the median velocity) is:
- between 281 and 290 foot-per-second, 10 points will be deducted.
- between 291 and 300 foot-per-second, 25 points will be deducted.
- more than 300 foot-per-second, 50 points will be deducted.

Sideline Coaching
No one on the field other than active players are allowed to communicate any information to other players.
Spectators outside of the netting are encouraged to shout support and information to the players, so long as this is done without artificial aid.

What's gona be the test for bouncing markers? I'd suggest just checking for run away triggers over the chrono and a tap on the bottle similar to campaign. With no excesive checks for bounce (ie a marshal standing on his/her head pulling the trigger as slowly as humanly possible).

Obviously you've said its semi auto but is that being capped at 15 or unlimited?

Limited paint, pain in the arse but fair call, i can see the valid reasoning.

-EDD

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Originally posted by Edd Hobday
What's gona be the test for bouncing markers? I'd suggest just checking for run away triggers over the chrono and a tap on the bottle similar to campaign. With no excesive checks for bounce (ie a marshal standing on his/her head pulling the trigger as slowly as humanly possible).
That's what i was thinking. Basically common sense and no anal inforcement. In the rules there is a lot of scope for the referee's judgement and discretion. They will be briefed to enforce the spirit of the rules and 'not be dicks'. :) But i don't think we will have a problem with that. It will be people like milky who'll be reffing.

Capped or not? Do we have any way of checking? I hadn't really thought about it.