The Home Of European Paintball

Underwater Paintball

le-pig

the brotherhood
May 16, 2002
isle of man
Visit site
Originally posted by Ally^McK
lol so true.. pballs r more likely to go outa shape when ther is gravity. Eek frozen pballs :( oww
you caln't freeze paintballs any more,you used to be able to:eek:
they must of added anti freeze,probbally why they taste so bad;)

D6

Jun 21, 2002
Nakatomi Plaza
Originally posted by le-pig
why,what is the temp of space,less than my new freezer,ithink not,in theary they would explode due to negative preasure
Thats what i thought- the point at which things freeze or boil is dependent upon the pressure of the environment, something refered to as SVP, I believe, by chemists and physicists. Saturated Vapour Pressure in space would cause the blood of an astronaut to boil if his oxygen supply was cut off, rather than die of air starvation. But that was chemistry a-level some years ago....

When I said about paintball in space ages ago, it was meant as an example of how daft this thread was- glad it's still not dissapointing:D :D :D :D :D

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
OK, you asked for it. JoseDominguez BSc mode.

1) All rules change in space: no conduction or convection.
2) A fluid filled body would boil instantly, due to the lack of external pressure. So, you got that bit right.
3) In a fraction of a second, the body would lose all of it's thermal energy to space (which is extremely cold) and would freeze solid.
4) Any side exposed to the sun (or any star) would begin to sublimate (liquids aren't stable at this temp) losing it's water as vapour. The dark side would remain frozen solid.

Evidence: a comet is a solid ice-block with a tail of sublimating vapour. Three russian cosmonauts were exposed to hard vacuum, they came back intact (not popped) and very frozen.

So, a paintball in space would boil very rapidly, cooking the fill to glue, then freeze solid as it lost heat to space.

And, as Istated before, I like this thread, it's stupid.