Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Uni Tournament

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Craig - it's worth a go, last year we picked up a tourney player that way. But your right most of the people you recruit won't know what you mean by marker, sup'air, or have heard of tourney paintball. Our job is to indoctrinate them. Mu-hahahaha

Frahill - Its prob a bit late for the 15-man woodland next weekend, but it would be great to have a manchester uni team along to the 5-man next term. As i said earlier we are finalising a date next weekend.

if you were to speak to your S.U. about starting a club, and stuck some posters up you should be able to find enough people to start a club. Then all you need to do is take them recballing(*), spot the keen ones to take over running the club when you leave/start your finals.

*Recballing should IMO be a core activity of the club, it is an accessable route in to paintball, and lets face it most of us got in to it that way ourselves. A tourney team will find it a lot easier to find recruits if there is a large club of recballers to harvest from.

It is worth finding a good site (one that is UKPSF registered, has public liability insurance, & is prepared to send you a copy of their risk assessment documentation) and negotiate a decent rate with them.

Steve,

Sorry I havent got back to you about this yet.

Basicly I am nothing to do with Salford Uni Paintball society anymore, thats if its even still going.

Out of the Salford Uni team from 2 years ago I am the only player who is still at uni.

However I am willing to play for a Combined Manchester team if they need a player.

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Combined teams is something i want to discuss with the clubs next weekend. Ultimately i aim to get BUSA recognition for an annual event. One of the rules of busa is that you have to be a registered student at the uni to play for its team, and i was thinking about where we should start off with this in order that when we apply for recognition we are able to show prior compliance with as many of their rules as possible.

This would not allow for combined teams. But this would encourage Uni's with a club but not enough tourney players, to use the event to introduce more of their members to tourney paintball, and a good oportunity for paintballers at a uni with no club to get a group of people interested in paintball together to start one.

Admittedly the teams might not be as good as a combined team, made up of people who already play tourneys, but i feel it is more important to introduce new people to tourney ball.

It would also prevent graduate old-boys/girls playing for their uni at the event, which would rule out 2 of Birminghams team. But they would still be able to come along and support, coach and/or manage the team.

Mikey D

I suck
Sep 14, 2002
Birmingham
how did this go?

like I said, im pretty sure that i'll get a paintball club started here, I wear my team hoody around quite alot and get plenty of interest (and weird looks ;)) from people.
what sort of arrangements did you have at your place, and what did you have to do to get it started.
ive got the addresses to get in touch with the society/club people at the uni so i'll also see what they say and what I need to get done.
if you could pm me with any info about insurance and just generally everything i might just get started on this.

Michael Merola

bust 3 hoppers in 1 day!
Aug 17, 2004
Milton Keynes / Birmingham
It actually went quite well - only problem was in the morning where certain people got lost on the way there :rolleyes: and came an hour late, (no names)

Apart from that, all ran pretty well. Nice one to Steve for organising the event, thanks to the marshalls and sponsers. All my Coventry lot had a good time.

It finished,
1st - Birmingham , 2nd - Imperial , 3rd - Southampton

My students union where just happy we beat warwick - now im gonna start asking for money :p

Basically its best to speak with your students union, see what you have to do to make a new society. I had to fill in a few forms e.g. what will we do , how it benefits the su.... and get a list of 10 other people who wanted the society to start.

After that they had a meeting and approved my society.
The insurance details may depend on each uni. My university makes me charge a joining fee but then it covers all students with its university insurance. Obviously ive had to do a risk assesment and stuff but thats pretty standard.

Just speak with your student union society reps :)

jonhaley

Jun 24, 2002
N/A
Is anyone from the Southampton club on here?
Just need an email address for someone on the team...

cheers