Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

University Paintball 2009

Banil

Fe
Dec 29, 2007
Right then guys, if no-one minds, Sam and mylself ( Leeds Uin) have decided to step up and run the uni league for 2009/2010. We will publish dates etc as soons as possibe, we will be having a sit down to discuss everything when we are back at uni.

So stay tuned for details

pJervis

isle of butts
Nov 10, 2005
newtown,powys
Visit site
Yeah they used to, but the guy who ran it decided to concentrate on his exams during the final year so it didnt start up just the year just gone :( (even though i tried to drum up some interest on the SU forums)
Most of us have gone now but I might be able to put you in contact with some of the guys who are still floating about

wasn't it Cov that had all the drama a few years back? might be mistaken.

Something along the lines of students shooting up the campus and/or town and the uni vowing to never allow another paintball society. Like I said I could be mistaken and thinking of some other uni :S
Nope not us

boddy

Aug 29, 2005
Birmingham
Most of us have gone now but I might be able to put you in contact with some of the guys who are still floating about

Yes mate if youve still got some of the details then that would be ace. One of the lads has already sent me PM, but to get in touch with some guys would be well good. Cheers dude

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
UWE are still going strong, but as above, my hopes for a uni league that provides value for money aren't high after the last few years. Students just aren't committed enough to support a league. We'll be sticking with the existing leagues for now I'm afraid.

Frenchman117

Jul 15, 2009
Redditch
Im currently in touch with the owner of UK Masters who can provide a site with free camping and a 5-man field for the tournament. Im just trying to get an idea of costs to hire the site from friday to sunday (if teams arrive on the friday night and the tournament is sat-sun).
Will post the costs here and the venue

Michael Merola

bust 3 hoppers in 1 day!
Aug 17, 2004
Milton Keynes / Birmingham
Samwell and Kitty have really ironed it out above,

Yes the prospect of another go at a university league sounds great, but you really need to think on what you want to achieve.

Long term, league of sort? A format following the UK Masters, x amount of events over the year, standard entry fee's and standard format? This was accomplished during my time at Coventry University (2006) being well co-ordinated by one Steve Hancock.

If I remember correctly, we had 4 events spread across around 6 months. This took considerable organisation from Steve and his team and as you would expect considerable cost, both of which are not usually found with students.

I believe we had 11 universities taking part, some of the more notable universities that did not play, include the likes of Portsmouth. Though I believe there were some details in the background which don’t need to get mentioned.

Let me get that into real terms for you, from how many universities in England we had 11 teams. From that 11, I believe 8 ‘finished’ the league of sort as many had to drop out due to time and mainly funding issues.

Entry per team: £250 Entry for the year (I think?)
Format: 5 Man X-Ball lite – 2 games at each event lasting 10 minutes
Locations: 2 events at Dartford, 2 events at Sneterton (spelling)

Personally, I believe I spent around £500 on paintball during my term time, just to play events, excluding gear etc. Quite a large amount of money for a student, don’t you think?

So, without stepping over rough ground again, the correct way would be to pursue a one off event, open invites for a standard 5/7 man competition held in a central location. This was the original plan for inter-university, a one off event held at Birmingham.

In my opinion, it is time to step away from the idea of getting paintball a recognised BUPA sport. The money is just not there, especially these days with higher tuition fees and fewer amounts on loans.

Your best idea would be to work with Kitty as I am sure she still has a number of contacts at various universities. Get a steady yearly event going, if you’re not happy with that, push for the twice yearly but I really doubt your get the numbers.

Good luck

Mike

P.S. Spangley - No that was definetly NOT Coventry :)

Mike_Evans@Warped

Oct 8, 2007
My suggestion to any Uni teams would be to enter existing tournaments.

I know the guys who have tried to organise events specifically for the Uni's in the past and they are great people with paintballs' and the Uni's best interests at heart, but as anyone who has tried to organise such an event will agree, it is no easy task.

Frenchman117

Jul 15, 2009
Redditch
Here is what has been set up so far between me and Wendy from the UK Masters
The event will be happening at BZ Dishforth (which is in the North) over the weekend of Saturday the 20th - Sunday 21st of February 2010. The Saturday will be for training and familiarising teams to the field whilst the tournament will run on Sunday. 16 teams can enter (5 man teams) which will cost £200 per team (with a £50 deposit). We are allowing each team to have up to 7 players for changing the teams during the day if people get tired or injured. This will also mean that the cost per player will be reduced.
A camping site is next to the field which is free and has good access to local pubs. There will be medals and possibly trophies for the top 3 teams. Marshalls will be provided and its a bring your own paint event. However paint will be for sale at the site. I am currently haggling over the price of the paint with Wendy.

Any questions?