Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

US tournaments vs. Euro Tournies

Hey, chris here. I mainly want to hear from the other PGI writers and high level tournament players on this one. What are the main differneces between the USA tournaments and the European tournaments? Obviously both get a respectiful number of teams but where do they differ from each other in terms of productivity, satisfying players needs and wishes, and such.? I just want to see where everyone else stands on this issue. Give me your feedback.
Chris
PGI

Wookie

Grumpy Sys*****
Prizes....

I agree with Nick about the organisation thing, but one thing I have noticed is that the US tournies have a load more prizes up for grabs than the European ones.

At Birmingham, poeple got paint and the occisional Zap/BE players pack (our team is still waiting for ours). Toulouse had barrels, kit bags and all manner of stuff, but the US ones seem to have $hit-loads of stuff: Angels, 'cockers and no end of goodies.

It makes me want to play US tournies more than the UK ones, but the cost of playing them is too great. Also, when it comes down to it, would you rather play an event that was a mess with bad organisation and bad facilities for a big purse, or a well run, well thought out tourney for a [much] smaller purse.

Toulouse was a good example. Our team enjoyed the event _much_ more than any other because it was so well thought out.

Wookie

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
Howdy.

I think the prizes matter a great deal. Ok, I gotta say that superbly run event with great fields, teams and atmosphere are by far THE most important thing in paintball, BUT, in order to attract this you need large pulling points. Top teams won't travel to an event they've never heard of before but if the prizes are amazing they will, a bit obvious I know, but true. Events need to at give back just enough to make the victors feel like "WOOOW this RIPS ASS!!, look what we did!!"
A bit of glitz is always good. I mean KINGMAN, the Spyder Cup, what were the prizes last year?? 5 or 7 (not too sure) Mustang Convertibles PLUS cash. That my friend is how you sell a tournament. Certain tournies aren't lacking as much on the prizes side as they are on the publicity side. Full-on advertising is the only way to get anyone outside 'ball into it. If an ad deal with a local TV network gives a few 15 second ads every now and then that'd be great for the sport.

Sorry dudes, I kinda get a bit lost in there sometimes, see if you can make some sense out of it.

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Well, now that I've finally been to a European event (and the best one ever at that!) I guess I can speak on the matter as to what US tournaments lack SEVERELY at times.

1. women
2. other adoring fans in masses
3. well structured atmosphere (depending on the event...WPF's are pretty good about it, but other leagues are lacking)
4. SINGLE AND GOOD LOOKING women
5. swift air lines -- The Toulouse air setup was excellent, with a dozen or so hoses coming off the compressor to connect and refill in a flash.
6. friendliness -- Too often it's either rush off to do business or sit on your ass and pout since ya hung out one second too long and got knocked out of the semis for it, neither of which makes for much conversation at tourneys. Hey, anytime we've come hundreds of miles, shelled out gobs of money we only have a chance to see some of back, and put in the best playing we can under the circumstances for what sometimes can seem eternity, shouldn't we be able to talk, laugh, drink, and carry on with people instead of being all too serious or sometimes standoff-ish? I think so. Paintball may be serious fun, but it should still be primarily fun. It's great to be able to talk to other teams in more meaningful and friendly terms than just "Check your hopper a$$]=[0le!" or "Hey, I hit you in the mask TWICE before you even came around!"
7. advertising -- Obviously promoters and vendors overlook the money they could be making from concessions, clothing, posters, and other merchandise if they'd bother to advertise the events to the public and get non-player attendence up. Come on people, a few posters or billboards around town, a few sets of bleachers, and a program. This isn't hard. Pet shows get more outside attention than paintball...isn't it about time we did something about that?

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
The deciding factor when talking about the CAMPAIGN CUP and whether it will rip the ases out of all other tourneys EVER is a simple matter of consumables.

DAWSON'S PEPPERED MEAT N' POTATO PIES

See you there Niall. Yum Yum.:D