Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Using a Mouse and Keyboard on a console. My experiance

obladeo

Platinum Member Lifetime
Nov 27, 2008
In a Shrubbery
Not posted in here for a while and thought you guys might like this review i wrote.

As some of you may know I’ve been having problems for some time trying to play FPS using a controller on the PS3 and XBOX 360. If shooting the sky was the aim of the game I would be the daddy. Well I had to find a way of plugging a mouse and keyboard into my console for use in game.

At first I found something called a XCM XFPS 3.0 Sniper Plus to use with my XBOX 360. Which was ok but I soon got bored as it wasn’t very accurate and it was very hard to configure for each game (not a 1-1 feel of the PC or even close). At that point I gave up and tried to adapt to the controller playing Zombies on Black Ops on the PS3, as I wasn’t good enough to play against real people. I’ve very slowly been getting better but still miss the speed and accuracy a mouse and keyboard give but I couldn’t afford to buy a decent PC or anywhere to put it.

The day came that Battlefield 3 was released and I’ve been waiting for this game ever since Desert Combat. My first outing with the game and it was amazing but the same problem hit me again!! That dam sky just would not die lol. On average I’ve been getting 2-4 kills per game if I’m lucky and this was ruining the fun I use to have on Desert combat.

Then I remembered a while back that there was a device called Xim2 but this needed a PC to run. At the time they were still developing a 3rd generation version that didn’t need a PC to work. Sure enough it had been released boasting

• Next-generation console input adapter
• Game on your Xbox 360 using your favorite PC gaming-grade hardware
• Mice, Keyboards, Joysticks, and Gameboard compatibility
• Unsurpassed in-game 1-to-1 feel thanks to advanced Smart Translator technology
• Simple configuration through an on-board full-color LCD screen
• Real-time feedback through the LCD to guide you to your optimal settings
• Supports your existing Xbox headsets and chatpads
• Firmware upgradable
• Active community forum

As I had sold my XBOX 360 I needed a way to get this to work on my PS3, thats when this little chap came to mind.

Armed with a debit card the shopping list soon racked up
Hardware Compatibility List

http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=8399.0

XBOX 360 wired controller (needed to control the xim3)
XIM3
XBOX to PS3 controller converter
Gaming mouse with a 5600 dpi (call of duty stealth mouse (RAT 7 internals))
Gaming mouse pad (Razor Vespula)
Gaming Keyboard (Belkin n52te)

All the items turned up in the post. The build quality of the XIM3 is the same as any other device off the shelf and really didn’t expect it (as it was developed in someones bedroom lol). Trying to juggle the family and trying the XIM3 out was a mission. First impressions I had straight out of the box was the mouse was very laggy and the controls were all in the wrong order. A quick search on XIM3 forums told me that I had to configure the mouse through the XIMManager because the RAT 7 mouse always returns an AUX constant so I couldn’t use the XIM3s on screen to configure this (Other mice on the list can be configured using the on screen menus). I also found out that my TV was not turned onto game mode which was causing the mouse lag.

With all the changes in place and Battlefield 3 loaded I was off. The mouse movements were so fluid just the same as the PC. After 5 mins of playing as it was getting late I had racked up 4 kills and gaming on FPS just feels like so much fun again.
If you’re a PC gamer that’s moved to consoles but having problems with controllers i would but one of these instantly!!! It’s that good!!!
I now have 5 smart translated loaded on the XIM3 for Black ops, Rage, Dead Rising 2, so on... and nothing’s going to stop me now.

10/10!!! AMAZING bit of kit. Don't buy the cheap crap ones

B 2the eano

Mar 19, 2011
aintevenmadtho.

Nice review and advice here mate but I'd take a controller over a keyboard/mouse combo any day.