Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

velocity?

Jul 8, 2013
London ,UK
from what ive heard its not all about how hard your marker shoots, as long as its above 250fps which all markers do you'll be good. Some marker will be better at higher fps and some wont. I have an etha and i shoot at 280fps but ive heard others prefering to shoot around 260fps because it make the marker more consistent. so i think it all depends on your gun.

dont take my absolute word for it im just a newbie too but just going from what ive read and been told

Alex R

Fusion 141
Jul 15, 2006
North Yorkshire
Increasing the velocity will increase the force behind the ball, you may shoot a little further, but I imagine the accuracy would suffer.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Bear in mind you need to be within the legal limit on velocity (generally accepted as 300fps but is in fact based on 12 ft pounds of pressure so strictly speaking varies depending on the mass of the paintball) and within the events maximum velocity

A professional tournament may go nearer to the legal limit but the general maximum velocity used is 280fps for normal paintball and 250fps for indoor,CQB or night games

A higher velocity would be expected to go further. Depending on your thoughts on physics the accuracy at a given distance could be the same going by the theory that it still drops / swerves at the same rate (and at a further maximum range could be therefore further off centre) or could be better if you go by the theory that more energy in flight fights against side winds, or worse of you go by the same impact of sidewinds but accompanied by more energy flying off course

Accuracy is more dependant on consistency. If you go by the instructions for hammerhead barrel kits you 'tune' the barrel by starting at a high velocity then turning down the velocity gradually whilst watching for consistently straight shots

Last edited:
Reactions: michael freeman

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Hammerhead said:
http://hammerheadpaintball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=35

FAQs - How to Tune Your Marker for Your Hammerhead System

How to Tune Your Marker for your Hammerhead System
Always use a chronograph for the final velocity check!
Hammerhead technology allows you to visually tune the barrel for optimum accuracy. First, choose the correct Hammerhead Fin (see below) size for the paint you are shooting. Next go to the chrono area and intentionally turn your velocity high. While aiming at a chosen target approximately 100 to 120 feet away, fire about 1 ball per sec and slowly turn your velocity down while shooting. When your max velocity is above about 280 fps the paint will be flying in huge arcs. Continue to lower your velocity while shooting and you will notice the arcs get smaller and smaller. When you get to the velocity where the arcs go away and the accuracy is at its best you will have found the sweet spot. Finally, recheck your velocity with the chrono to be safe. Your velocity should now be around 260-280. Paint changes size due to temperature and humidity so be sure and do this several times during the day so ensure you get the most out of your Hammerhead barrel system.

Paint size and performanceThe bore size of a Hammerhead is .688 across the lands and .694 across the grooves. The closer your paint is to .688 to .693 the better results you will have. This is because the ball is able to engage the rifling much better when the paint is closer to the size of the barrel. Smaller paint will still perform well but paint that matches the barrel bore is preferred.

Choosing the correct Hammerhead Fin (ball sizer)When sizing your paint it is best to measure more than one ball. Paint size varies even in the same bag of paint. The best paint-to-bore match allows the ball to slide through the ball sizer with a little bit of resistance from your pinky-finger or enough to blow the ball through the ball sizer. A good rule of thumb for sizing your barrel is a little looser is better than too tight. You should be able to push the ball through the ball sizer with your pinky finger with some resistance. The ball should not fall through nor should you have to force the ball through. Also, remember to close up your paint from bag to bag. Moisture and temperature will cause the water vapor in the air to be absorbed by the balls resulting in ball swell. We suggest monitoring your paint size with a ball gauge several times a day when playing to confirm bore and paint match.

nick hare

Jul 23, 2013
Bristol
I've always wondered if pushing the velocity up to 280fps has a detrimental effect on accuracy. I guess a lot depends on barrel and paint/barrel fit

Game

Doing men things to men in the woods atm
Nov 21, 2004
Dereham,Norfolk
260-280 as long as you are getting +/- 2-5 max per shot it shouldn't make much difference

but of course the holy grail is to get no variant

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
If you are shooting crap paint velocity won't matter

Shoot good paint and your accuracy improves at all velocities