Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

View the Earth from outta space :)

LV 4 26

Millsy- Back Baby
Dont worry guys I have e-mailed some one for the answers ;)

Ahh just got this back, still he may answer:cool:

Your email regarding "How big is the universe and is it constantly
expanding." has been received.

Professor Hawking very much regrets that due to the severe limitations
he
works under, and the huge amount of mail he receives, he may not have
time
to write you a reply. All e-mail is read. We do not have the
facilities
in to deal with the specific scientific enquiries, or theories we
receive.

Oh well

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by AndyDane

Pete: aren't there several theories as to how the universe is shaped? And depending on which you follow the opinion of it being finite/infinite changes? (the theory of the universe being flat with infinite radius of curvature?)

I've actually applied for some course material from the Open University now, going to do a physics course, something I wish I'd done when I went to uni. Instead of getting drunk, dropping out and working for an insurance company, lol
Andy, yes mate, there always be on such a contentious issue and this is due to there being conflicting models and until sufficient data is accumulated to either bolster or contradict each and every model, then we will have this situation as I am sure you are aware.
The universe is expanding, that much is sure, it was the realisation of this that gave rise to the big bang theory but the main divide among cosmologists seems to be whether there is enough matter in the universe to bring it back together or not with I think the majority going for the oscillating universe - big bang, big crunch - big bang and so on.

I don't pretend to be well versed in such matters but I do have a 'working' knowledge that isn't derived from being able to 'copy and paste' :)

I did read some time back that some recent data had suggested that some galaxies were in fact accelerating away from the genesis point with this really putting the cat among the pigeons because the oscillating universe bods would have expected (if anything) for it to be slowing down.

As I said, I am certainly no expert, but even in my little brain it did make me think of possible reasons why in fact it should be accelerating.
Was something providing the required force for acceleration from outside the universe or was it a repulsive force from within, with the latter obviously seeming the more reasonable.

Now that is the event horizon of my knowledge on such matters and I can comment no more but I can still be intrigued by the subject matter ... I love things I don't understand but only things that blow my little mind when I eventually understand them :)

I mean, who understands women?
Certainly not me, they definitely have a quantum based psychology with us men being more Newtonian biased with direct linkage to the testosterone molecule.
This fact alone predetermines us to being soooo predictable, whereas females ??? ... now there's a can of worms :)
Good Luck !

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Skeet, you are gettin paranoid mate, don't 'protesteth too much' or people might begin to think......
But to put your mind at rest, I haven't seen any of it yet in this thread but it is just such a subject area where we might witness its appearence.
Still, let's hope we don't see any of it because for the most part, it stands out a mile.

KitsuneAndy

Platinum Member
Originally posted by Robbo
Skeet, you are gettin paranoid mate, don't 'protesteth too much' or people might begin to think......
But to put your mind at rest, I haven't seen any of it yet in this thread but it is just such a subject area where we might witness its appearence.
Still, let's hope we don't see any of it because for the most part, it stands out a mile.
And the people most likely to copy and paste are those that will claim that they know the answer. And it's 100% true and not a theory at all.

But atleast we could point and laugh at them.

I think part of what makes things like this so interesting and intrigueing is that no one *knows* the real answer. It means that all you can do is discuss it, share your idea's and opinions etc. Certainly makes for some interesting topics of conversation as well.

Skeet

Platinum Member
Very true...

My wife...(teh one Robbo seems to think I had to chloroform!)...said a while back, that she was browsing through a copy of Proffesor Hawkings "A brief History of Time" and said it was pretty interesting.

This leads me to believe, that it is written in such a way, as to be easily absorbed by an intelligent layperson.

Anyone read it and recommend it?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Skeet
Very true...

My wife...(teh one Robbo seems to think I had to chloroform!)...said a while back, that she was browsing through a copy of Proffesor Hawkings "A brief History of Time" and said it was pretty interesting.

This leads me to believe, that it is written in such a way, as to be easily absorbed by an intelligent layperson.

Anyone read it and recommend it?
Most intelligent people can read some of it and understand but I doubt most intelligent people can read it and understand most of it .... very few people indeed will have a full grasp of that book even tho some would like to think they have.

Read Hawking's book 'Universe in a Nutshell' for some similar reading that is equally intriguing and baffling.
Have Fun :)