• Go Back to Woodland Paintball

Votes: 29 13.9%

• Total voters

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
We've had more than our fair share of negative talk regarding our tourney scene on this forum over the past year or so, a lot of it from me I have to admit.
I suppose I haven't been as positive as I should have been because what's important here is not so much the correct reporting of our present state of affairs but the future of our sport is vastly more important.

And with that in mind, I am gonna post a poll that will allow us to see what's going through your minds .. after all, if this site is the most popular European port of call for ballers [which it is] then it seems a waste if we can't canvass opinion with a view to using any results as leverage when talking to promoters.

Mind you, it's worth noting our second most popular national demographic are the Yanks which I suppose is because of the language commonality but I'd like to think they come here because they wanna keep up with events over here and we also have some interesting threads running that appeal to all ballers everywhere.

Anyways, this the deal, do we wish to stay with the present order of things whereby the main format is either XBall or one of its derivatives, would we like to go back to 7 man where the leagues are unlocked and anybody can play anybody with one of the main attractions being the novice and amateur teams can go up against the top pros.

Would you like to try Johnny Sosta's Formula 5s format that focus its ethos upon two main tenets, value for money [gun time] and a scoreboard driven accountability system that is live and accessible throughout the game and also just as importantly, provides interesting stats that can be compiled for league positioning or just plain interest.

There are some among us that would have us regress back into the woods and people like the mercurial Ged Green, Niall Squires, and the ever hard-working Steve Bull have all endeavored to provide a woodland platform for players and teams to try out.

We may well be on the brink of a woodland revolution ... but then again, it may well be nothing more than desperate whim ... let's try and see what we really want as customers and ballers

The choices are :-

1. Remain with XBall and its derivatives maintaining the locked league system

2. Go back to 7-man open leagued format [or maybe a 5 man format based upon the 7 man model]

3. Johnny Sosta's Formula 5 format

4. Forget Arena formats and go back to woodland ball

Please vote and please comment on why you elect for a particular format.

Reactions: Donk

Parksy

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
Newcastle, UK
I voted 7 man. Back when fields were actually designed to accomodate different sizes of players, not the small fast playing fields we see now with tiny cubes as back corners. I understand the xball reasoning and these bunkers (the long lost hope of televised paintball!), but this is pretty much dead now. Even if it wasn't it only really applys to the top levels of teams.

I also used to like the 7 man NPPL & Milleniums of old where pro teams played lower Div teams as part of the qualifiers!

In my mind after playing different formats (excluding Formula 5s) was the most fun to play (and watch) for me :)

Big Mac

My Custom User Title
Oct 19, 2006
York
Having not played for a few years, i'm a little rusty on the formats, not having had the opportunity to experience the formula 5 set up/concept, and as such won't vote. However, for what it's worth (which ain't much) IMO there is nothing more frustrating than your team getting rolled over and that being that, often having to wait around for ages before being able to play again. Which is why I enjoyed playing some form of x-ball, think it was lite. If you got beat quickly, you had the opportunity to go out straight away and make amends.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Well Im gonna vote Formula 5's purely on the value for money side of things. In a 15minute game, you can literally be playing for 10+ minutes of it and shooting 15 to 20 people while your at it!

Would like to see 7man again though.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I'm amazed that even though its generally recognised XBall is killing our sport, we still have people voting for it ... I spose that tells us something but it's not really something I wanna acknowledge.

It's perplexing to say the least but it might explain why we are in the position we find ourselves in I suppose.

Codiak

GWC 2010 #23
Dec 2, 2004
Newcastle
www.codiak.co.uk
I'm amazed that even though its generally recognised XBall is killing our sport, we still have people voting for it ... I spose that tells us something but it's not really something I wanna acknowledge.

It's perplexing to say the least but it might explain why we are in the position we find ourselves in I suppose.
People like heroin too Pete and that's killing them, I'm not quite so surprised to see the results showing the way they are to be honest, as x-ball is all some players know.

Sid Sidgwick

Tinkering ain’t easy
Hmm difficult one each has it's advantages, I enjoy the adrenalin rush of xball with it's fast pace and quick turnarounds, but the downside is actual limited playing time (obviously limited by player skill) and coaching.

I enjoyed 7 man and would happily play this is possibly a race to 2 format with no coaching and open divs. In fact this would be my choice of a tourney.

Formula 5s interests me as I think the concept is solid and all the feedback is positive.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Hmm difficult one each has it's advantages, I enjoy the adrenalin rush of xball with it's fast pace and quick turnarounds, but the downside is actual limited playing time (obviously limited by player skill) and coaching.

I enjoyed 7 man and would happily play this is possibly a race to 2 format with no coaching and open divs. In fact this would be my choice of a tourney.

Formula 5s interests me as I think the concept is solid and all the feedback is positive.
Sid, don't ever let anyone accuse you of sitting on the fence mate :)

Luke H

Apr 29, 2010
Wrexham
i like this idea, and similar ideas to the nppl, especially the no coaching, it would make on field communication alot more important

Donk

Gorrilaz
May 11, 2010
Clacton-on-sea
Having not played for a few years, i'm a little rusty on the formats, not having had the opportunity to experience the formula 5 set up/concept, and as such won't vote. However, for what it's worth (which ain't much) IMO there is nothing more frustrating than your team getting rolled over and that being that, often having to wait around for ages before being able to play again. Which is why I enjoyed playing some form of x-ball, think it was lite. If you got beat quickly, you had the opportunity to go out straight away and make amends.
What are you doing on Sunday the 15th of May? If you can make it to Colchester (CO6 3DN) I will get you both a game so you can try it out!

It is like xball on steroids without the mindless laning...