Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Want paintball to be recognised as a sport?

Stephen

RIP Topcats
Apr 27, 2008
Hertfordshire
Just come across this from the UKPSF facebook page:

"I have been asked recently "If there was one goal that you would like to see the UKPSF achieve what would it be?"

Simple - To get the game of paintball recognised by Sports Council UK as a SPORT.

A bit of background - the UKPSF has submitted 2 applications since I have been involved and both were rejected - The PBUK and a paintball company have also submitted applications and these were rejected. There are various reason why these were rejected but now Sport England have "clarified" their criteria. I have exchanged emails with the Sport England (once one body accept paintball then Wales, Scotland and N Ireland will follow) and have the criteria. I feel that we should be in a position to submit another application in 18-24 months. By this time we will have meet certain criteria.

BUT and it is a BIG BUT there is one criteria we have to meet before we can even send a submission. We need 1800 members and this is not negotiable.

There is a membership push over the next 6 months by the Facebook pages, sites promoting membership as part of a walk on membership scheme, tournament organisers looking to make players members as part of a registration scheme and the scenario market encouraging membership.

I am not looking for 1800 over night (or this year) as I think it will be a slow process but we have a 2 year target."

1800 to me doesn't seem overly ambitious or unattainable in the slightest. I want to feel like doing my bit for the sport I love, and will definitely become a member, something i've been meaning to do for a while now. And hopefully, the UKPSF will reach their target and we can finally get this amazing 'hobby' of ours recognised as a sport!

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDestinyPB

helder

Jan 28, 2012
london/ canning town
http://www.ukpsf.com/ TheDestinyPB

It does involve a small cost of £15 per year I believe which is probably the main reason people are put off

An easy way of getting the 1800 we need coud be if you at ukpsf offer a 3 month trial to all new members without the perks but with the option of getting full membership after the trial by paying the fees I think it would work

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
An easy way of getting the 1800 we need coud be if you at ukpsf offer a 3 month trial to all new members without the perks but with the option of getting full membership after the trial by paying the fees I think it would work

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2
???
Free membership without membership benefits is nothing, and does nothing to achieve 1800 members in 2 years.
A free member either pays and becomes a member or walks away and did nothing but distort the figures for 3 months

Nothing can be provided without the fees (other than getting on the mailing list)
All the members fee goes to the insurance premium. No fee, no membership, no cover

If you want free membership then join UKPBA, they have more than half a million members, and it must be way more than that now - UKPBA is nothing and just everyone who has been to Delta Force since - 1989
http://ukpba.org.uk/

Reactions: helder

helder

Jan 28, 2012
london/ canning town
???
Free membership without membership benefits is nothing, and does nothing to achieve 1800 members in 2 years.
A free member either pays and becomes a member or walks away and did nothing but distort the figures for 3 months

Nothing can be provided without the fees (other than getting on the mailing list)
All the members fee goes to the insurance premium. No fee, no membership, no cover

If you want free membership then join UKPBA, they have more than half a million members, and it must be way more than that now - UKPBA is nothing and just everyone who has been to Delta Force since - 1989
http://ukpba.org.uk/

lol easy there mate it was just an idea don't need to get upset, i just thought one of the criteria was the 1800

but anyway im not a free loader and i don't really want a membership if i wanted one i can afford one, don't really think £15 is that much so i think the reason its that people just aren't interested, for one reason or the other.

Last edited:

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Wasn't meant as biting your head off.
But I do get touchy on some things

I'm not a tournament style player but have an interest in paintball in general

For the goal of sports recognition, I could not care less. I don't regard my hobby playing a game as sport.
But for some areas recognition will be beneficial.

As an outsider of the tournament world looking in I often see some good things being done, but the collective memory is short.
I have been around to see the dangers of high speed fills, unsupervised people ignoring signs or through ignorance filling 3000psi cylinders at 4500psi fill stations blowing burst disks, and the flash fill explosion
Changes happened, high speed fill stations ceased to be provided, fill stations were supervised and kids stopped from self filling.
Things such as UKPSF air training guides were introduced

The Federation was formed to represent tournament paintball below the UKPSF

Compulsory UKPSF membership was brought into a league

In scenario the UKSPC was formed to represent scenario below the UKPSF - I thought we had a group similar to the Federation but the Fed apppeared to have dropped away or been disregarded
UKSPC put in minimum voluntary standards, including free UKPSF air training. I thought this was highly established in tournament play, but then found little or no knowledge

It appears that compulsory UKPSF membership was ignored, people didnt want to pay £15 for a year but still put thousands into gear and hundreds into tournament fees and paint

There are often subjects on what paintball should do for the players, but little acknowledgemnt or interest when the industry and 'faces' of paintball try to act

The UKPSF has long been working hard to keep paintball going. In Scotland paintball was illegal just because of CO2
Anything gun related in Scotland is still a major political tool

The Michael Ryan incident was going to turn paintball illegal - step in UKPSF
Just using the PC terms and throwing away camo didnt save paintball

UKPSF insurance and the urge to continue is due to personal membership, all the fees go to the policy, the interest of players that subscribe keeps the UKPSF going. Site members pay the only other income for UKPSF

There are a few individuals in all areas of paintball that are constantly working away trying to benefit the hobby/game/sport/business of paintball. And there are many who give them stick for it