Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Want paintball to be recognised as a sport?

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Only other sport i've competed in was martial arts a number of years ago, and membership of the INTERNATIONAL federation was compulsory because they are the ones responsible for regulation of rules and events, and they are the ones that promote the sport and organise international events. national federations (like UKPSF) are the ones that do this same function but at a national level, and quite frankly i think it will need to just be enforced that you must be a member to play at sanctioned events. After all what you are essentially paying for is to know that your event is going to be fair and safe. I think it's actually pretty selfish that the UKPSF put in the effort of investigating events and venues and approving them, but anybody can just waltz in and play. For me UKPSF event = UKPSF members only. The fact that they will happily insure you against injury and death is a bonus in itself!

philfull

Newcastle Lockdown
Jul 24, 2008
toon
Why not follow airsofts lead and make it mandatory to be a member of the ukpsf to own or purchase a marker? Almost every organisation i have been a part of and sport i have played has mandatory membership and it is usually more expensive than the 15 quid for ukpsf affiliation. Every thing from fishing(inland) to the scout association charge a yearly fee.

Reactions: Liam92

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Why not follow airsofts lead and make it mandatory to be a member of the ukpsf to own or purchase a marker?
For airsoft the UKARA was formed by the industry to prevent airsoft from becoming illegal. Because of their action the two elements of the VCRA affecting airsoft are that anyone over the appropriate age can buy a 2 tone, only those that play enough can register to be able to buy a RIF
It's no in the act to make people members of the UKARA, its there to stop ease of access to realistic looking imitations, and to make toys look like toys
Paintball did not need to be written into the act to comply
Speedball guns are not imitations, neither are many in the woods.
Some called woodsball guns mostly have similarities to firearms so to the layman could be a gun - then they could be in breach of the act.
Hence the carriage advice regularly handed out
Milsim and magfed have built a following in recent years, potentialy illegal RIFs
But the police have visited a retailer and said that if they were making an official visit they would have seized. It was surprising what some of the ones they flagged up.

Legal licensing could happen to paintball
As I said in my earlier post people have tried to make UKPSF membership compulsory. From looking outside my views are that people stopped entering the tournament, or went in and ignored the requirement (forgot my card but I'm already a member etc), some people actually joined or were already members

Compulsory membership for sales does not affect those that are around, and is difficult to enforce on private sales
I have paintball guns that I consider would be classified RIFs but were possessed before the act came into place

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Legal licensing could happen to paintball
As I said in my earlier post people have tried to make UKPSF membership compulsory. From looking outside my views are that people stopped entering the tournament, or went in and ignored the requirement (forgot my card but I'm already a member etc), some people actually joined or were already members

Compulsory membership for sales does not affect those that are around, and is difficult to enforce on private sales
I have paintball guns that I consider would be classified RIFs but were possessed before the act came into place
The thing is because it isn't an absolute requirement to be a member to play an event at the moment, people have no real interest in bringing along their membership cards. whereas if it was made compulsory people would be a lot more likely to make sure they had it in the first place. Of course there are always those who would forget so to make things simple, you could just apply online before an event just like the millennium. So i think it would be a relatively simple process for the event to liaise with UKPSF to cross reference the registered players and make sure that they are members. This way, on the day you either turn up with your UKPSF card and register to pick up an ID or bring along drivers license etc. on the day and pick up a prebooked ID.

When it comes to sales i'm obviously not so sure and where there is no legal requirement to only sell to UKPSF members it's not as if dealers will pass up an opportunity for the sake of a moral obligation. There is far too much important legislation put before government for this to get any priority, but the only real option would be to legislate that any sales of any specified weapons (and list whatever they want including paintball) may only be sold on production of a valid membership of the relevant governing body (and list the governing bodies for each sport or whatever). Finish it off that anyone who passes on a listed weapon to anyone who doesn't possess a membership would be liable to prosecution.
My only concern here is how it would restrict the flow of trade, as there are strict rules on competition implemented from EU legislation which stops such things. however if it is achieving a legitimate aim, which in this case would be in a matter of public interest, it could probably be justified.
I'd hope that compared to the process for obtaining firearms in the states and such, this wouldn't be too much of an effort for people and shouldn't affect trade too much.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
The tournament required membership rule was as simple as you describe.
People didn't comply

The second part will go on law which resolves EU legislation on trade. As with RIFs the item gets stopped at customs, you proove compliance/membership or it gets sent back or destroyed
But it would need government to act on making legislation
The threat of prosecution on private sales exists for airsoft RIFs, I understand the community takes that seriously
It is also a criminal offence to paint a two tone. People do not take that seriously

A voluntary control by UK retailers needs everyone to act on it. Some will, some wont. It can affect their business if they try to enforce and customers go elsewhere (you are basically putting another £15 on the price of a paintball gun)

As I mentioned earlier one UK company had an informal police visit as part of a study. I won't name them here but have done before in relation to their scheme. They were told hey should do something about what the study felt could be RIFs. The company set up a free registration similar to UKARA and put 2 options on the sales site - membership or blue parts

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
The tournament required membership rule was as simple as you describe.
People didn't comply

The second part will go on law which resolves EU legislation on trade. As with RIFs the item gets stopped at customs, you proove compliance/membership or it gets sent back or destroyed
But it would need government to act on making legislation
The threat of prosecution on private sales exists for airsoft RIFs, I understand the community takes that seriously
It is also a criminal offence to paint a two tone. People do not take that seriously

A voluntary control by UK retailers needs everyone to act on it. Some will, some wont. It can affect their business if they try to enforce and customers go elsewhere (you are basically putting another £15 on the price of a paintball gun)

As I mentioned earlier one UK company had an informal police visit as part of a study. I won't name them here but have done before in relation to their scheme. They were told hey should do something about what the study felt could be RIFs. The company set up a free registration similar to UKARA and put 2 options on the sales site - membership or blue parts
That's a shame to hear. you would hope that with the popularity of tournament series' in the UK like CPPS and Masters that people would understand the reasoning behind a rule like this and would happily agree.

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
reading this makes me laugh,there is some good reasoning but,if we get recognised as a sport it will help all sides of paintball,as it will mean that sites can apply for grants too improve their facilities,so win win for everybody,stop the moaning,i spend more on a round of beer or taking the mrs too the pictures but you don`t moan about that do you.
we all spend £1000`s on kit and travel etc etc but £15 breaks the bank,sorry take a good look at yourself

Aug 6, 2012
Its funny, the people that complain and moan about putting their hands in their pockets for £15 a year, are quite often the ones that go to the UKPSF crying for help when something goes wrong!