Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

water inside thermal mask

musefrog

looooves the snake!! :D
I managed to get some water in my thermal lense after rinsing the mask under the tap - left it near a radiator and it dried out fine, no fogging problems since... although somehow after a woodsball session there are now bits of dirt/grit in there :confused: Not so much that it causes a visibility problem, but still annoying...

rich666

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2007
up north
thermal lense + rinsing under a tap = bad things

read the leaflet u get with your mask/lense for cleaning n general care :)

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
baby wipes and kitchen roll! If it's safe for a baby's ringpiece it's safe for a thermal lens. This is NOT official advice btw, but so far it's worked fine for me.

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
If you see any empty baby-wipe pots up at NSPA then you'll know they were used by UWE and Abdn at the inter-uni a couple weeks back. In fact if you see any I apologise for leaving a mess :) My JT occasionally gets paint jetted up the vents under the lens so I need a damp towel for the inside too to prevent scratching. Baby wipes are mainly good for those 3 mins you have (most of which is spent podding and airing up) when you need to clean your mask quick stylie inbetween matches and then squeegie it off with kitchen roll. Like I said though, I haven't researched the long-term effects it could have.

FirebirD

Grade 'A' Chump
Jun 22, 2006
Dorset
its a forum not an essay clever dick
;)

Yeah, probably best to try and dry the lense out first, but if that doesnt work, just buy a new one, and just use baby wipes / damp tissues and do a 1 quick movement over the lense, and that should be it :)
Because if you rub it in several movements, it'll probably just smudge, but not always ;)

RedishPaintballVet

Semi-retired
Aug 10, 2007
Warrington
i probably have made the most stupid mistake ever and i have gone to clean my jt proflex8 mask for the closed christmas period of paintball. i took it all apart and stuck it into a bowl of water for about twenty seconds. i took a few head shots the other day lol. After taking them out of the bowl i realised water was draining out the middle of my lense. will this cause a problem in the future of fogging ?:confused::confused::confused:
I did a similar thing to my Vents Avatar tinted lens, the instructions don't warn you against this :mad: I dried mine out in the airing cupboard and ended up with dried in water marks in between the lense which I found really anoying, however some people would probabibly be happy wearing them like this. Point in case here, the thermal lens do not have an air/water tight seal they only help prevent air/water getting in. On my Vents thermal lens it has a rubbery/foam seal between the two lens, and this seal is permiable to air/water, hence water leaking in the first place. They are not pressure sealed .

Never fear if the water marks are really bad you can fix it. I was able to fix mine. It was fiddley and you risk ending up with a non-thermal lens (no big deal they are £15 anyway). I used a scaple to cut the inner lens away from the rubber seal keeping as close to inner lense as possible. I then cleaned the inside of both thermal lenses with with a damp cloth and let them dry. Checking that there are no smears etc I re-attached the inner lens to the outer lens with 'plastic safe' glue. Hey presto fixed thermal lens :D.

Before I get flamed, yes they still work pefectly as thermal lens, they have not steamed up over the last few months and that is playing in the wet/cold U.K.

Hope this helps you out.

J@mes

If in doubt, flat out!
Jul 11, 2006
Wakefield, West Yorks.
i think we should get onto Apple to give us a hand, they have put some type of coating onto the new Ipod touch that makes the screen almost impossible to scratch-

James

jknight15

I piss nitroglycerin
Feb 3, 2007
Cardboard box alongside M53
i think we should get onto Apple to give us a hand, they have put some type of coating onto the new Ipod touch that makes the screen almost impossible to scratch-

James
What isn't it resistant to?

- Sledgehammers
- Car tyres
- Bullets
- JTD1993

But back on topic, Vforce have got it bang on with the grill lense. Hard to scratch, fog free and even resistant to small calibre shotgun fire.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/texminn/IMG_0412.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/texminn/IMG_0414.jpg