Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What happened to 50 cal then?

BubbleGumBob

Free Style Baby!
Mar 10, 2007
Reading/Newbury
All seems to have gone quiet was never a big fan of the idea but all seems to have gone quite, they seemed to still be selling it at mills events this year but not as much publicity or hype etc

Anyone got any thoughts

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Some sites adopted it for rentals but it didn't really catch on at tournament level. Having to run at higher velocity to match range of 68cal was a big issue as goggles are only rated to 300fps. Even though the 50cal ball is lighter and carried less impact force it could still be in breach of site insurance. 68cal is well established as the industry standard ball, and 50cal didn't offer enough advantages on price or performance

I've seen boxes of rec grade 50cal paint advertised at £27 for 2000, which is no cheaper than the equivalent box of 68cal. We were told it was going to be sold in boxes of 3000 for the same price as 2000 68cal, which was obviously a load of bollox and yet another nail in the coffin. Factor in the cost of buying a 50cal ready marker and loader, or a drop in kit and it starts to add up.

Game over (n)

Last edited:

Alex R

Fusion 141
Jul 15, 2006
North Yorkshire
I'd give it a go at walkons ect, just can't afford the price of the drop in kit for my ego and a 50.cal hopper. I've only seen mech 50.cal shoot in the flesh, only seen electro on youtube...

Last edited:

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
i tested out .50 about 2010/2011 and the range did suck, but from a rec perspective if there was significant cost advantages this would probably have made it worthwhile. although the cost of replacing your entire rental fleet of markers and hoppers makes it all a very big investment. and if it now turns out even the cost advantage isn't there then there isn't much point to it. Never did think it would be popular for tournament play and it seems that one has proven true.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
The smaller ball needed to be a certain weight for it to be able to be shot at or below 300fps. For the ball to be that certain weight, Tom Kaye from AGD (who had already put all of his knowhow into extensive research in 50cal years before) said something like, its not possible to get the weight in the ball without using Heavy metals, or toxic materials or crushed glass etc. Said with current PEG formula it was not possible, and if it doesnt make the weight, it wont act the same as a 68cal paintball. 50cal folk promised it would make weight, it was released, it didnt make even close to the weight needed.