Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What happens when you tell someone that you play paintball?

manners87

I cant shoot
Feb 28, 2006
Halifax
Visit site
Buddha 3 said:
It's basically 10-14 guys all working on their own and as a spectator it's just too easy to miss the action if you happen to be watching the wrong guy.
There are just too many variable to make the sport worth watching for the avarage joe...
but surely thats like motor racing? 10 15 cars zipping passed. if your there you can miss a lot of the action by being in the wrong spot. oh and yeah this excludes the american oval racing... thats just made to make dumb people dizzy :p.

but its about where you are and what you notice. you have to have an interest in a sport before you pay to go watch it. You develop an interest in a sport by being present at a free event and seeing how it works and making friends OR seeing it free on tv. Rules? well just sod them. they aint the main reason why it isnt as successful as the NFL or whatever. things like that are successfull because they are cheap and easy for "joe" to play and show good role models for "joe". to follow. Big strong athletic chaps being physically violent. Placing paintball events at amusement parks, fairs and fetes will open awareness of the sport. allowing the odd punter to have a go at tourny ball at these fairs would also be good. although there is a target age group and type of person to get. usually being young lads (occationally girls) and generally men with an interest in shooting stuff. Acadamies for paintball could pick out the geeky kids from school. (the ones that dont play football or whatever) these kids are the future of paintball. :D *i know im one of them*

I guess what im trying to say...for those of you that dont like reading... that paintball is a very select activity/sport. there isnt much of a sex appeal about it, there isnt much of a financial appeal about it and there isnt a great deal you can do about either. i dont know about you but i dont find welts sexy... however when talking to most of my friends they are interested but not bothered. Nor will they be bothered if the rules change, or it gets put on tv at 1 in the morning in fact its very unlikely they will ever change their minds... unless they play it. So stop talking about talking about it and start talking about getting them to play it yeah? :D

another pointless attempt to post sense onto the forums of paintball. ;)

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
manners87 said:
but surely thats like motor racing? 10 15 cars zipping passed. if your there you can miss a lot of the action by being in the wrong spot. oh and yeah this excludes the american oval racing... thats just made to make dumb people dizzy :p.
No, it's nothing like it. With the racing thing it's easy to tell who's doing good, because that's usually the first one you see. Even when you got one of those races where the cars are spread all over the circuit, the cameras normally point at who's in the lead and/or notable contenders. So on TV it's real easy to follow.
When you are a spectator at the circuit, it is indeed slightly harder to follow what's happening, but the people that go to these races (particluarly at modern day prices) are already big fans and go as much for the atmosphere as for the races themselves. Same counts for the people that go to paintball tournaments, these guys already love the game. So I'm sorry to say that your comparison is seriously flawed.

manners87

I cant shoot
Feb 28, 2006
Halifax
Visit site
youve just showed that my comparison is exact? lol

Paintball: cameras point at specific players who are doing good (not in the deadbox).
Motorsport: cameras point at the leaders.
Paintball: People go for the atmosphere
Motorsport: People go for the atmosphere
Paintball: People who have an interest attend
Motorsport: People who have an interest attend?

your attempt to disprove the correctness of my comparison has lead you to prove my original comparison. :p

anyone confused?;)

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
Problem with comparing to motorsports is that with motorsports i could tell you what a driver will try to do on a specific part of the track at a specific point in time thus leading to a form of predictability.

With paintball you have 14 players all of whom could do something crazy. There is no way to predict what one person will do during the course of a game. You can guess but you'd only get it right maybe 10% of the time. With motorsport you can count on the driver to do the same thing nearly over and over again.

Also with motorsports there is an easily seen objective. To get to the front of the pack. In paintball, you have to shoot the opposistion, grab their flag, and run it back to your gate, which i'd guess would be fairly complicated to film.

No-one go's to a tournament to watch games. Thats a fact. People go to help their team out. Watching games is a sideline attraction.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
manners87 said:
youve just showed that my comparison is exact? lol

Paintball: cameras point at specific players who are doing good (not in the deadbox).
Motorsport: cameras point at the leaders.
Paintball: People go for the atmosphere
Motorsport: People go for the atmosphere
Paintball: People who have an interest attend
Motorsport: People who have an interest attend?

your attempt to disprove the correctness of my comparison has lead you to prove my original comparison. :p

anyone confused?;)
Are you dumb, or just acting it?

Paintball: Cameras can't watch every player, because you'd need 14+ cameras on the field. Ain't gonna happen...
Motorsport: Cameras only have to point at the leader and/or those fighting for 1/2/3 posistion. All the rest is fluff.

As for people with an interest attending for the atmosphere: duh.
I think Mario summed it up nicely.

If you fail to see the difference between my earlier post and your feeble attempt to "be right", I really think you'd better stay out of this discussion. Your attempt at showing your correctness by wrongly using my post only makes you look somewhat slow of wit. Sorry.

manners87

I cant shoot
Feb 28, 2006
Halifax
Visit site
Buddha 3 said:
Are you dumb, or just acting it?

As for people with an interest attending for the atmosphere: duh.
I think Mario summed it up nicely.

If you fail to see the difference between my earlier post and your feeble attempt to "be right", I really think you'd better stay out of this discussion. Your attempt at showing your correctness by wrongly using my post only makes you look somewhat slow of wit. Sorry.
paintball: cameras can invariably watch more than one player... but i guess you didnt think that two people can fit into one shot at the same time and/or more than two. *cough* maybe you cant because of the size of your head* (bit petty but it made me laugh). but never mind mario once again your extensive experience of typing on forums defeats my enthusiasm. and as for being right i wasnt exactly trying to be i was subtly pointing out that you agreed in writing with what i put. and then said that i was incorrect. maybe how you wrote it was different as to how i read it. feel free to go about calling people dumb but did you not say?

"When you are a spectator at the circuit, it is indeed slightly harder to follow what's happening, but the people that go to these races (particluarly at modern day prices) are already big fans and go as much for the atmosphere as for the races themselves.Same counts for the people that go to paintball tournaments, these guys already love the game."

Then i (to back up my argument on the comparison of motorsport and paintball) said

"Paintball: People go for the atmosphere
Motorsport: People go for the atmosphere"

(this statement then agrees with yours and supports my comparison of paintball and motorsport)

followed by you making the pointless comment of this

"As for people with an interest attending for the atmosphere: duh."

maybe im missunderstanding you. or maybe your just not making sense either way... "MEH" it was my opinion and your not really gunna make me change. have a good evening.
:D

SteRoberts

Pugwash
Apr 1, 2004
Wolverhampton
ive got an idea ...

Bring back the crystal maze, (and Richard obrian if hes not dead, not ed tudor rubbish).

And paintball can be one of the potential games they can play, one step closer to world domination.

:)

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
To over simplify the comparison between paintball and motorsports is foolish paul. In fact imho its foolish to compare paintball to any sport. Paintball is like nothing out there.

Its complex scoring system, its range of outcomes, and the monotony of watching 14 guys standing in the same place for time and a half just make it completely unsuitable as a spectator sport. It's useless trying to encourage people to watch paintball from a grandstand because in reality you cant tell whats going on for sh*t. X-ball is the only thing that comes close because it has been entirely simplified.

In every other sport its easy to tell who's winning at any point in the match/race etc etc.

You dont quite understand buddha i think. I believe he's talking about paintballers as a pose to spectators, in terms of audiences. There's no such thing as spectators, really at a paintball tournament, only paintballers who have an idea of whats going on or their family members who have an idea of whats going on. You are treating paintballers as spectators which they're not.

If i went to a football match/race and i didnt know anything about the sport i could tell within seconds who's winning. In paintball i just couldn't.