The Home Of European Paintball

What If?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070702_mm_big_bang.html

Had a quick look as had a feeling I wasn't completely crazy Pete! Must have seen it on one of my late night discovery sessions.....God bless channel 520
Oh My God!!!!!!
So let me get this right, you had a 'feeling' did you, and you 'must' have seen it on one of your late night discovery sessions did ya?????

Whenever I write anything on here, everything comes straight outa my head, I ain't pre-empted anything by reading up, it just comes out.

I will read and come back to what you linked to, but if I am to take on the might of the internet, then I think my work might be well cut out .....

I'll get back to ya ...or more accurately, should I say, 'I'll get back to Charles Q Choi' ... :)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I read it, and here are my thoughts; I mentioned previously, that my belief time was created at the big bang was based upon the circumstantial evidence of time itself being inextricably woven into the very fabric of our universe ..I realise it's circumstantial but it's better than nothing.

As for your proposal, that being, time was there before the big bang?
On reading that article, there is absolutely no evidence for it whatsoever mate; it's purely speculative and not only that, it's speculation predicated upon just one of the competing theories that abound concerning the big bang and what went before; and so, not only is it speculative, it's also pot luck.

If I had to bet my house on which opinion to back, I don't think I'm gonna be straying too far from mine :)

Ainsley

CPPS Chief Chimp
Mar 26, 2008
Staffordshire
I thought you'd jump to that conclusion Pete ;)

The only thing in the link that remotely similar to anything I've said is the title.....I had to find something about it as I was beginning to doubt the air I breathe thanks to you :D

I wouldn't bet anything on what I've said so don't go bringing my house into it :p I just believe that there may have been a spot of time knocking around somewhere! I see your point entirely, however this is the 'what if' thread so at least wanted to put another point across for the debate.

Ceicj

Sep 18, 2008
Cardiff,Wales
well to be honest i do not even know why it is referred to as the big bang because if the universe is constantly expanding considering the rate at which it is expanding it couldn't of been big in fact it was minuscule which is astounding considering life as we know it was made by something no bigger than an ant.
back to my point about why people call it the big bang the could of been no "bang" because space is a vacuum and as many of us know there is no sound in space.

my knowledge of the matter is limited due to my age so apologizes in advance.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I thought you'd jump to that conclusion Pete ;)

The only thing in the link that remotely similar to anything I've said is the title.....I had to find something about it as I was beginning to doubt the air I breathe thanks to you :D

I wouldn't bet anything on what I've said so don't go bringing my house into it :p I just believe that there may have been a spot of time knocking around somewhere! I see your point entirely, however this is the 'what if' thread so at least wanted to put another point across for the debate.

I'm here .... anyway - you can can't blame me thinking you may have been indulging a little in Wikia-Wisdom to keep the ole ball rolling, you wouldn't be the first :)

Mind you, you are correct about the 'What if' point and I'm afraid that has to trump my W-W doubt ..... I got this feeling you are gonna be involved in a few more 'What ifs' somehow ...it should be fun !

SJS

Karma Monkey Spunk?
Dec 7, 2008
North East, Sunderland
Some people believe the universe spontaneously created itself and they are actively developing branches of mathematics to prove as much ..and I have to say, I haven't seen any of the maths (not that I'd understand it anyway) but I hear they are making headway, which is kinda frightening because it suggests they can mathematically prove there is no God..which would kick me right in the balls coz that goes against everything I believe.

Anyway, enough of what I believe, what do you guys think was going on where there was, and is, and will be, no time?

First of all, you have to deal with, is there a God to populate this place with no time and go on from there? .....should be fun :)
What i think is:

-Firstly, I'm an agnostic so i stand on both sides really.

-Secondly, I believe that Aristotles' thoughts may help here. Every thing that is has a cause, For something to have happened it must have been caused. If you have time on your hand you can take any act, object ect. and ask your self what caused it. Then what caused that? and so on and so on. Eventually you will get back to the very begining of the universe.

What was in the very begining?

This leads some to conclude that there must be an "Unmoved mover" or "Uncaused causer" who started off the cycle of life.

-Thirdly, If there is a God i believe that he did, in a fashion, "create" time. But is not in, or is affected by it.
I also believe that said God is/has omniscience (knows all) but doesn't see it in the context of time. So in effect he see's everything that happens and will happen but not when as he is outside of time.