Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What is a "beavertail"?

Emerson

no longer a newbie
Nov 10, 2001
Indiana, USA
Maybe this should be in the newbie forum...but maybe not. I know what it looks like, but what purpose does it serve?

Also, why is rear-cocking better then side-cocking?

Beavertails....

Hi,

I think (its hard work but I try :D) that the beavertail is to protect the cocking rod. It also encourages the mask not to hang sooo tightly to the bolt, which might hit it craking the lense (sounds far-fetched I suppose, but a good wack in the face is not what you want really anyway).

I don't think rear cocking is better in itself except that it reduces the profile. After all the direction of cocking is backwards not sideways anyway.

Maybe I'm just spouting BS, but hope that is of some help,

Maybe someone who knows will post in a bit

Richard:p

vantrepes

The voices say I'm normal
Jul 28, 2001
Ontario, NY
moodypaintball.site88.net
It all started with cockers, you need a beaver tail because you can spike the velocity if there isn't a beaver tail. That's number one.

Number two, protects your goggled from rear-cocking blow backs. Rear cocking is better because there isn't an easy way for dirt to get into the lower tube of your gun, and make it sputter.

cjohns

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2001
Griffin, GA, USA
Hmmm

I don't know if I agree with that totally. If the cocking rod is screwed in tight like it should be, bumping the cocking rod shouldn't make a difference. That is only my opinion and usually no one cares:D

Ahhhh, the old 'bud slappin' technique!!

Back in the old days (damn I sound old!!) before autocockers you could 'slap' the cocking rod on a Sniper2 (a pump version of the autococker for all you youngsters!) to get the velocity to leap (and it did leap a lot). This 'feature' was blocked with the introduction of the beaver tail - a tournament required anti-tamper device (very much like the locking ring for Mags). It is possible to 'bud slap' an autococker but a lot harder as the block is moving almost as soon as the hammer hits the valve. It has nothing to do with how tight the cocking rod is screwed into the hammer.

There you go. All your questions answered!!

Scutty

twid

Aug 28, 2001
sweden
Visit site
vantrep is right...

but there is really no use cause with a really fast auto-cocker you feel crippeld only shooting one shot at a time...

this was more popular in the early days of paintball if im not misinformed...

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
indeedy
Cjohns - the cocking rod is screwed into the front part of the hammer which hits the valve, not the back stationary bit. If you were to add extra pressure to the hammer hitting the valve then the valve opens for longer which means more gas therefore greater fps.

it a theoretical cheat - not really that practical

cjohns

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2001
Griffin, GA, USA
Hmm

Well thanks for clarifying all that. Now I can sleep better at night. That is why I shoot an Impulse and not an Autococker.:D I was just trying to stir up trouble as usual.