Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What is a sight?

DraxxusKid

Oct 2, 2003
New York, Long Island.
whats a site do on a paintball gun? arent those the aiming things that help you am with those dots? sorry big time newbie question. but it suits me since i kinda am. and i heard a hopper can have a sight. i dont get it? can it?

DarWood

Dagenham Swarm
Nov 30, 2002
Really is no point in having a sight. Sights are good for rifle's and firearms that fire absolutely straight. Paintballs are lighter and of spherical shape (some times odd :eek: ) so can wander more often than not. In a game (unless recball) u dont have alot of time to stand there and aim, cos games are quick and intense. Plus by the time it takes u to aim and fire, a gust of wind would knock the ball of target. Its all about accuracy by volume:D
So dont waste your money!
Darren.

jahlad

Emortal
Feb 11, 2002
Planet, 0161
agreed, sights on paintball markers are next to useless, it simply gives your opponents more hard target area to hit!

Skeet

Platinum Member
Originally posted by FrontLine
Really is no point in having a sight. Sights are good for rifle's and firearms that fire absolutely straight. .
No projectile, whether it be from a firearm, or paintball marker or artillerey shell, fires absolutely straight.
All projectiles have a trajectory, where it leaves the barrel, rises above the line of the barrel, then dips back down below it.
You could take a .223 bullet, bung it in a .308 case and send that downrange at 4000+ feet per second, and it will shoot pretty flat for a few hundred yards, but will drop off, and certainly will be affected by wind, just as much as a paintball.....I shoot 1000 yard targets, and in a mildish wind, the bullet can drift 25 feet to either side, with ease!!!

I would agree that a Sight is relativly usless in paintball, if you intend to aim it...but some red dot sights, can be usefull as a point of reference.

Gaz

AlexFarkouh

Well I used a red dot sight on my Tippamnn for a couple of years until I broke it and I found it really usefull especially for snapshooting. It obviously is not accutate vertically but horizontally it worked a treat.

What I mean by that is I line the gun up using the sight for lift - right and if the target is near I aim the sight low, if the target is middle distance I aim on target and if the target is down field I aim above the target, works for me.

Infact I have got a hiviz sight to put an my new shocker and it definately helps my snapshooting.

I guess it is just a personal choice thing.

DarWood

Dagenham Swarm
Nov 30, 2002
If it helps. Some players on bad company have them attached to their Spyder AMG's. I personally would have em but thats me.

Have you ever trained snapping really much, or some kind of target practice, you have probably noticed that many times, when you just get you gun up and fire one shot, you hit straigt on.
(the second shot misses very often)
It's all about practice and getting to know you gun, and by the time you really need to have those extra inches of precision in your games, you've probably got enough practice to get rid of the red dot sight or any other sight rails etc...:)
What if someone gives a hard time, and lots of paint sprays from your bunker and into the red dot sight or whatever, what to do? Get used to not having it there, it's the best thing..:)

AlexFarkouh

I would have to agree, when I first got my Tippmann I needed the sight, but now I am just as good without it.

But I need the help of a sight on my new shocker because I am not used to it yet, but I guess once I have used it a bit more I will be able to do without.