The Home Of European Paintball

what is it with non-US teams?

FAMINE

Pretty boy
Jul 10, 2001
Cambridge
www.teamapoc.co.uk
Heh heh just read back a page,
Can u americans not name a weapon without putting M in front of it?
Heh heh heh,
Well i am safe in the knowledge that if an american is pointing a gun AT me, i am safe.
Its when he points it at someone else i worry.

Love that term

Friendly fire

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
Originally posted by Buddha 3
Okay this is getting way off topic, but if you want to talk about musical terrorism, all of your countries can learn from the Dutch/Belgians. After all, we unleashed 2unlimited on the poor unsuspecting world. (the horror!) Will you ever be able to forgive us?
Ohh how that brings back fond memories of old school disco's!! Where everybody seemed to know the words to 2Unlimited!!

I say bring Pink Floyd back man, he kicks ass anyday!!

We don't need no eductation.....we don't need no thought control!!....

....All in all your just another brick in the wall!!

If you don't eat your meat you can't haven any pudding! - How can you have any pudding if you don't eat ure meat!!

:D :D

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
Going back to the thread and Robbo's response to my post....

I can see where you’re coming from. It’s just terrible to think that this is the way it is and has to be. No matter what happens or how hard you pretend to yourself that money is not the matter, it always is. And I suppose if you don’t realize that then it’s a pretty immature outlook on the whole situation. Any big leaps or breakthroughs that ever happen with any sport or company can almost always be traced down to money, politics and innovation or skill. Anything can be achieved with plenty of cash and the right connections – not to mention enough skill to catch an investors eye. It’s a terrible thing to say, yet it’s true for almost anything in this world. But along with these huge sums of money comes corruption too, and monopolization. I’m not trying to say that the paintball market or the sponsoring companies are by any means monopolized! But these things do happen, and are happening all over the place, especially with relatively newborn ventures when the money exchange begins to increase between the customer and the manufacturer (sponsor), the sponsor and the team and then finally between two teams with buying and selling players, at a very fast rate. Change like this is inevitable eventually and I’ve read about places where this increase in money flow is already occuring, paintball transfers seem to be taking place for vast amounts of dosh.
We talk about the ‘Pro’ players (ahem, Mr. Robbo for ex.), now how many of these players can truly be referred to as ‘Professional’ paintball players? Sure, many of them play at what is recognized right now as a professional level – but what percentage of them actually deal with paintball and actually PLAY it for a profession, where it’s their job as such and therefore primary source of income. I would be pretty confident that that number is nominal (but those few who do are lucky *******s!). Now as we proceed ‘into the new Millennium’ our sport is developing at an incredible rate! With absolutely hundreds – most likely even thousands of new players every single week!! The money being poured into the sport is absolutely astounding!! I can’t produce and figures myself, but what other sport has $2000 Sup’Air fields the size of football pitches as a playing arena?? For football all you need is a descent sized field and a couple of white lines! For tennis you need, what? A couple of hundred dollar racked (for pro’s of course), a few balls and a net! With the amount that each PB individual spends on their addiction, (and I assure you there must be pills out by now for it!), including paint, a marker, goggles, clothes, upgrades, and after game booze *ahem* - it far exceeds the expense paid of any average persons playing a more mainstream sport!!!
Anyway - talking about money and politics is not my forte and I’m sure you’re thinking by now that I’m totally talking our of my arse…..and I’m sure I am! But, going back to your chicken and the egg scenario – your so right, the big companies certainly aren’t gonna take their chances on a rookie team that just walked out of the mist. If you want to get to the top you need the money, to get the money you need sponsorships and to get sponsorships you need to be near the top! It’s nothing but a vicious circle, what is required is capitol investors in one sense, people like these Marcus Davis and Mick Holdaway you speak of. As you stated, these clearly are in high demand but there ain’t none to be found!!
I guess that for now professional paintball is going to remain more of (not totally of course) a rich mans sport and/or league rather. There will be those lucky ones that have their break when they meet that special someone who gives them a chance to strut their stuff. And here’s to them! Good luck and go for – just remember to appreciate it at the end of the day and for heaven’s sake don’t get sucked into the money aspect of it all!! Play for the love of the game and kick some serious Pro. Ass!!! My hat’s off to all those people who have made dreams possible for those people and maybe I’ll be privileged enough to meet some of those fine gentlemen (or possibly ladies) in the future sometime! – For now though, come on Brit’s!! Let’s get some serious training down pat and blow the American’s out of the water with our immense paintballin’ skillz and hidden talent!! Cos I’m sure as hell we’ve got plenty of it over on this wee small island of ours!!
:D :D :D

Later all,

Alex

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
How about that dude from the Beegees, he has a team, he has enough money to keep pouring into it...if money is the source of all success then why isnt his team one of the best in the world?

I understand what your saying but I dont agree, you dont need alot of money to be good, not if you practise the right things

be cool:cool:

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by matski
How about that dude from the Beegees, he has a team, he has enough money to keep pouring into it...if money is the source of all success then why isnt his team one of the best in the world?

I understand what your saying but I dont agree, you dont need alot of money to be good, not if you practise the right things
No-one has been saying that money is ALL you need, just that it's needed AS WELL AS the talent we have outside the US. I could spend every penny I have & never be pro standard, but equally I know players who could have been pro if only they could afford to play more often.
Look at any sport you can think of - without playing/training very frequently even the very best can't compete at the top level. I imagine the majority of readers here know a bit about football (soccer to our American friends). How good could any "Sunday Park" side get without the money to travel to decent games, the money to transfer better players, the money to pay support staff like trainers & physios, the time to train more than once a week if they are lucky?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Liz
No-one has been saying that money is ALL you need, just that it's needed AS WELL AS the talent we have outside the US. I could spend every penny I have & never be pro standard, but equally I know players who could have been pro if only they could afford to play more often.
Look at any sport you can think of - without playing/training very frequently even the very best can't compete at the top level. I imagine the majority of readers here know a bit about football (soccer to our American friends). How good could any "Sunday Park" side get without the money to travel to decent games, the money to transfer better players, the money to pay support staff like trainers & physios, the time to train more than once a week if they are lucky?
Dammit Liz, that was a good post !!!!
And I ain't being patronising.

Robbo

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
I know that, but my point is that from these posts its obvious that many peoples excuse for not moving to pro is more from having a lack of money than a lack of skills.
Going to practise will obviously cost you money, even when your paint is free, it will still cost you something. In that perspective, the more practise you do the more it costs you.
However, you can do less practise and still improve faster than someone whos doing lots. For example, team A may go to practise and spend all day playing games whereas team B spends all day working on the skills of their front guys, keeping tight, snap-shooting, individual techniques, set plays etc. Team B has just progressed more after one practise than team A will for a long time.
Practise will cost less if you practise the right things because you will improve faster, quality not quantity.

The main problem really is a lack of experienced players to pass on their knowledge not the players available.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by matski
I know that, but my point is that from these posts its obvious that many peoples excuse for not moving to pro is more from having a lack of money than a lack of skills.
Going to practise will obviously cost you money, even when your paint is free, it will still cost you something. In that perspective, the more practise you do the more it costs you.
However, you can do less practise and still improve faster than someone whos doing lots. For example, team A may go to practise and spend all day playing games whereas team B spends all day working on the skills of their front guys, keeping tight, snap-shooting, individual techniques, set plays etc. Team B has just progressed more after one practise than team A will for a long time. Practise will cost less if you practise the right things because you will improve faster, quality not quantity.
The main problem really is a lack of experienced players to pass on their knowledge not the players available.
Matski, what you are saying is only partially correct because you only end up with a team that is 'better' than those who did not practice the right things.
This whole thread is in the context of producing teams who will contest with the top Yanks and I'm afraid it is only with a combination of the right practice and money that they will have any chance of getting near the Yanks.
A harsh and unwelcome reality of contemporary paintball I know, but nevertheless true.
Laters Mat
Robbo

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
I quickly pressed the reply button after reading matski's first post and started out on the same argument as Liz but it seems she's beaten me to it!

This is big hurdle that has to be overcome and I think that was Liz was trying to get at is with the added support of cash teams are able to grab a hold of, and utilise the knowledge of these kinds of people, the football example - physios and trainers. The only problem with our sport is the lack of trainers to begin with, but perhaps the answer doesn't necessarily lie in these people. Sure the likes of Robbo and co. would be able to train up a top team within a matter of months given a competant rabble of paintballers. But what these trainers actually do is to develop technique and habbits, help them to progress and push themselves to the limit - not to mention stop and bad habbits the player might have. When you think about it Paintball is an extremely young sport and the only way that many of the top 'trainers' as such nowadays came to the standard that they are today is by teaching themselves. I know this kind of brings us back around in a circle, but it's perfectly true. They learned from eachother and must have stayed completely focussed on improving their game. They tried various different techniques, manouvers and training drills I'm sure. I don't see any reason why any team couldn't attempt the same with themselves. The obvious problem with this however is lack of time (and money - thre's that word again) and it's difficult to judge your progress without some sort of mentor being able to watch your every move and comment. With a real pro. to guide the way and the right amount of cash - all this can be achieved in a much shorter period of time, which is what I guess I was originally thinking about. Anyway - I got class so I'm off!! :rolleyes:

Later all, Alex :p