The Home Of European Paintball

What is 'Love' anyway?

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
To be honest, i'm game as well.
Sweet.
You have a problem with my post? Keep it to yourself.
In the interest of discussion, and in the general sense of what a forum is for (sharing our veiws), 'keeping it to myself' would appear to be a dumb move. People don't go on forums so that they can keep their views to themselves. Wouldn't you agree?
You also said this:
Anyone else got a view on this?
which let me to believe you were welcoming views, and that you might not want people to keep said views to themselves. These thoughts were further backed up when you said:
I gave my views in a couple of posts earlier in the thread which i was given credit for by Buddha, but i do respect yours and everyone else's opinions on the subject,
By 'everyone elses', I had presumed I was included.

I posted my opinion, at no point did i state this was the answer, i simply gave my opinion and asked others their opinions. Find me a quote where i stated that i am physically correct and all other answers are wrong please. ,
I am not saying you are correct and thankfully no-one else is. I believe the opposite to be closer to the truth. However, when you said this...

Think this just about hits the nail on the head or is the closest you are going to get to an answer James. Hormones and lust as well as the conception that you "need" a partner and there is the "one" out there.
Well im all done on the subject. Hope i helped in one way or another.
...you qualified your opinion and let James know that this was the closest anaswer he was likely to get, and took credit for the 'help' you gave him.

Below you state your opinion that you are qualified to provide the 'meaning of love'

I personally would disagree. Im 17 and believe i have a fairly decent grasp of the concept of "love" for partners. I think if someone in there teens has had experiences perhaps not personally but through other people and their relationships, they can have a good view on relationships and love.
Here you also rationalise your case, which is that you believe that by listening to other peoples issues (specifically a 17 yr old friend who has proved his worldliness by having a kid) you are equipped to have a 'fairly decent grasp' of love for partners.

My argument here is that you don't, and the fact that you think you do is laughable to me. This forms the basis of my 'pisstake', as I would be more inclined to get relationship advice from Britney Spears than you. You have no qualifications in this regard, and nor does any other person your age. That is a fact that you may not appreciate until you're older, and some kid tries to convince you that they know what their talking about (when you know full well that they don't). This obvious disdain I have for your credentials when it comes to life experience would appear to be the source of your umbridge, and yet I have a feeling that this is the area you are simply not going to 'get'. In your defence, perhaps at your age I would not 'get it' either, however this does not effect the stone-cold fact that you are professing to knowledge that you simply are not in a position to have.

Another point, in no way have i stated i "know it all". This is one subject and one alone, therefore how that makes ME believe i know everything i am unsure, i know some things about stuff. This topic i simply stated my views, yet you do seem to enjoy "poking fun at a 17yr old know-it-all punk" as otherwise, you would not have bothered becoming so sarcastic. You seem to yourself believe you know it all and that everything else others post is inferior, try not to post and be so contemptuous about other views.
'Know it all' is an expression, and not an indicator that the person in question actually 'knows it all', in fact the opposite is generally more obvious in cases where this expression is used.
'Punk' is the term I use for people who I believe to be a 'punk'. It doesn't have anything to do with Punk-Rock.

"and believe this enables you to both qualify what 'love' is (ridiculous) and also to help middle-aged (being kind to a few here) married men to understand their own emotions." Another point, at no point did i state i was giving a correct answer, neither did i suggest that i am trying to help middle aged men i.e James who is also 17 understand their emotions, this would be pointless as you have kindly pointed out, i am 17 and gladly admit that i do not fully understand this emotion, how can i at my age?.

Kinda my point, and yet you let James know above that the answer provided to his question was 'hitting the nail on the head', and 'as close to an answer' as he should expect... if, as you now say, you don't fully understand the emotion (and therefore the question) at your age, which is actually making my whole point for me, how are you qualified to let James know if the answer that someone else provided is right or not?

At least half you're contribution related to nowt on the subject, instead you choose to comment other people's views. .

Mainly yours, but yes, I did both. What's the problem?

And to be honest you call me cocky? "Listen, if you want to have a row, I'm definitely game, but I won't be holding anything back, so I'll let you decide for yourself if you think it's a good idea or not.

Enough said.
Yes, fair warning I think. I didn't attack you in the thread, I just made fun of you. At the stage where you decided to make s stand I wanted to give you another opportunity to accept the fact that you don't know what you're talking about. Strangely enough, you decided to debate with me, and then, in your opening salvo, confirmed that you are not qualified to post on the subject, which kinda stole my thunder, as that was the reason I was making fun of you - because you were claiming that your 2nd hand experience was valid.

As far as I can tell, to win the debate, you need to show how you are qualified to state your veiws on love and not have them questioned, OR show that your views should not be questioned by me. Do you think it's unfair that I think your views on the subject are crap? Then tell me why, don't just hide behind rightious indignation. This is Brain-box.

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
For me it's not a case of win or lose, all i'm in it for is to show someone that sometimes, personal opinions should be kept to themselves, Nice and personal for a reason.

CK
Missed this. I totally agree, but once said opinion is posted in a public forum, people are entitled to question it, and even make fun of it if they want to. If it was a personal opinion that you wanted to keep personal, you would not have posted said opinion publicly and then welcomed feedback to it.

When you welcomed feedback, I gave it. My feedback wasn't positive, because as already stated (by you), you barely understand the emotion. The question was about the emotion, so therefore you barely understand the question.

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Thanks for the advice but i'm afraid i cannot just leave a subject where i have done nothing wrong and been spoken to the way i have, a patronizing and derogatory manner. I may be 17 but i'm not thick. I'd rather stick up for myself and hold my head high than be pushed off a topic i just gave my opinion on by someone who i do not know, but seems to have taken a disliking to my PERSONAL view.

CK
Not a 'dislike' to your view as much as a reluctance to accept that your view has any validity. Personally I think that if a young lad (James in this case) comes on expecting advice about 'love', that said advice should come from someone more qualified to give it - I don't necessarily think I'm the right person, and as such I kept my posts 'tongue in cheek'. I do however know that you're not the right person. You're the same age as he is. Morover, I also thought it was a crap thread to begin with, with little or no place on P8ntballer, but that's not your fault, nor strictly against the rules.

And I know you keep saying it's your PERSONAL view, but all individuuals views are personal, by their very nature, so how does the fact that you consider your own views to be 'personal' preclude me from questioning them and generally taking the piss when they sound ridiculous? I wasn't trying to push you off the thread at all, but nor was I prepared to have you sound-off like you have every right to talk bollox and not have it questioned.

I've expressed views here, and had them shot to peices. Granted, it stings a bit at the time, but I can look back and see that the people who shot me down knew what they were talking about far more than I did, and that's fair enough. If your views are not to be questioned, and should just be accepted by me and anyone else as 'personal', how will you ever acheive the awareness you need in life, which comes from being second guessed and having your own personal views challenged?

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Hey bud,

Yeah i know what you mean and after re-reading my post i didn't really mention about love in the way of Husband-Wife and Long time relationships.
This is when you realised that you hadn't actually addressed the 'type of love' that Jonathan was actually asking about - the Love between partners/spouses/girl-slash-boyfriends.

This is where you impart some wisdom to James...

In my honest opinion i believe you can have the "smack you in the face gut renching love" but it can only be formed in few relationships. Im sure you know the vows blah blah but relationships of course need trust,honesty and the ability to compromise. In this day and age it is extremely easy and tempting i believe to be led stray. Usually the cause of relationships ending and "broken hearts" etc. is due to the fact one part of the two did not, from the start have a willingness to attempt to create the type of love you are talking about.

Wow! Yeah I can see how this would just be your personal and considered opinion, and not generalised meaningless rhetoric...

The temptations and ease to end relationships these days are so high, look to celebrities for examples when they break up, 9/10 times it is the one with less money, driven purely by greed in my opinion. Divorces are easily obtainable..
Ah, here we have the nuts of it. For examples, we should look to 'celebrities', isolate the one with the least money, and we'll see the one driven by greed?Great advice for JonathanH there. care to give any examples of these celebs we should pay attention to, or beter yet, to explain why they would be the best examples of your argument?

Also, FYI, divorces aren't necessarily easily obtainable. It depends entirely on the settlement. If both parties are 100% comfortable with the settlement then the divorce may be easy. In life however, this is rarely the case.

So to be honest i believe yes, it does exist, but to make it work and create this love, a hell of a lot of effort needs to be put in to get it back out. Same with all things you do eh.

CK
So, here you seem to be saying that 'love' between partners does exist (in your opinion), but you get out what you put in. I don't think I can make an argument against this, as it is so generic, and so obvious, that I'm not sure it can be treated as 'personal opinion'. It would be like me advising you to remove your underpants before you took a crap. What's the point?

Am I the only one debating here or what?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I think I succumbed to a Freudian slip Jay ....... I hope he doesn't take offence, and after reading his demolition of Pab in those posts above, I certainly don't wanna pi$s Missy off.

His ability to understand the slightest and subtlest of meanings is second to none, as is, his ability to use that information to then go on to dismantle anybody foolish enough to go up against him.

Luckily for me, Missy and me ain't ever fallen out and we remain good friends, and that's the way I intend to keep it :)

He's just ironed out Pablo and I'm pretty sure in most cases, it would be game, set and match ..... the only possible justification for Pablo not waving the white flag is ......... ego, stupidity or just plain pig-headedness .... whichever it is, Missy didn't muck around, he thrust the sword straight thru his heart and out the other side .... ouch!

pablo666

Game, set match fair play mate :)

Well i know when i'm beat, i hadn't predicted such an in depth and what i would call one of the best analysis i've ever seen. I see you're point and agree yes, i do not have the experience of someone older and therefore did not have a right to offer a comment. However i did, be it wrong or right to whoever reads it. To me it is what i believe and will not stop because someone pointed out the errors in my judgement.I offered JamesH advice based on my experiences as a person the same age as him, which he agreed with "100%". Another point which backs you up in you're comment on youthful ignorance. I will continue paying close attention to this section and posting regularly in "the Brain Box" as i hope you do Missy. Perhaps next time the subject will be something we can discuss without this or perhaps not ;), after all you're analysis i have read 5 times and continues to amaze me :) Plenty to learn.
No hard feelings at the end of this one i hope?

CK

p.s sorry those whose money i just lost who were betting on me ;)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Well i know when i'm beat, i hadn't predicted such an in depth and what i would call one of the best analysis i've ever seen. I see you're point and agree yes, i do not have the experience of someone older and therefore did not have a right to offer a comment. However i did, be it wrong or right to whoever reads it. To me it is what i believe and will not stop because someone pointed out the errors in my judgement.I offered JamesH advice based on my experiences as a person the same age as him, which he agreed with "100%". Another point which backs you up in you're comment on youthful ignorance. I will continue paying close attention to this section and posting regularly in "the Brain Box" as i hope you do Missy. Perhaps next time the subject will be something we can discuss without this or perhaps not ;), after all you're analysis i have read 5 times and continues to amaze me :) Plenty to learn.
No hard feelings at the end of this one i hope?

CK

p.s sorry those whose money i just lost who were betting on me ;)
Aha, you posess humility and brains .... all you need now is the expereince in life required to underwrite the former two .... you'll get there Pab, faster than most maybes if you maintain the same approach to life.

And so, here endeth the latest of P8ntballer.com's lessons in life.