Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

what is the point ...

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
The point of eyes is to prevent/reduce the risk of chopping paint before it is seated in the breach, this was for paint chopped as it is falling into the breach by the bolt

Rate of fire is the issue if the bolt moves faster then the paint is fed

Eg with a gravity feed you have the speed as a combination of the mass of the paintball and force of gravity. There is also the factor of paintballs not being ready, and therefore stalling before the bolt comes forward

The next level is the gravity feed with a 'shelf'. This reduces the delay as each paintball is ready in line, (but could be held back further up at the shelf)

Next is the agitated hopper. It still feeds at the speed of a gravity feed, but the agitator should ensure the next paintball is waiting to drop

Finally the force fed hopper pushes the next paintball in place. This works faster the. Gravity as it has the additional force, thus can meet a specified ROF

Having eyes means the feed rate is not relevant as the bolt will not go forward until a ball is ready
If the eyes cannot be used then you rely on the feed rate. If you let rip with a gravity or agitated hopper with eyes off then you risk chopping.
However for testing at home you can easily stop and cleanup if there is a chop

Clear paint does not mean you must have eyes off. Like rain the paintball is clear but not invisible
Some eye types will detect clear anyway, some systems can be configured and adjusted for sensitivity

However, bearing in mind you have bought clear by mistake then switch off the eyes and if you have a hopper that supports your ROF then happily shoot. If not then be gentler on the trigger and check what you are buying in future

The point of clear paint is that it has opened up a world of new venues to paintball. Swynnerton is the only active military training camp to alow coloured paint. That is because it is not as state of the art as others, the organisers guarantee a major cleanup, and the site was secured before clear was available
There are numerous venues available to airsofters that paintballers would never be allowed near without clear paint
There are many still that we won't get to use anyway. (Particularly after the reading mall game)

Even though clear paint is used the venues still need cleaning afterwards. Sennybridge is only available because of clear paint and the first paintball game there (call to duty series) was cleaned with the army arriving for training on the afternoon
This would have been impossible with coloured paint. I was among the last players to leave and met the convoys coming in
Defence estates is encouraging hire of sites as a method of income, however operational support comes first. Sites must be available and clean to hard deadlines

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
I used Clear paint at a 1000 player big game last year. I shot all 500 players on the opposing team, using only 503 rounds (I had to chrono first). The problem with clear paint is that when I gathered my 500 victims together for a photo, there was no 'evidence' that they had been shot, so I felt a little cheated, and about 497 people actually doubted that I had in fact shot them out using clear paint.
Thats the problem with big games, no-one wants to leave the field once they've been shot, even with regular colored paintballs, so when you use clear paint, it just exasserbates the problem.

Reactions: Care_Bears

niallist

SPS - First 9
Nov 2, 2008
London
lol. :D

Behind the humour there is a true point there. Although it's less of a problem at some big games than others. Respawn at Copehill Down is very quick and a lot of the players are regular scenario players so we don't get a lot of that as most people know each other, there will be around 220 - 250 people at The Siege this weekend.

Also bounces count, so there's no need for paint checks, just honesty. It's not perfect but it works pretty well in general.

niallist

SPS - First 9
Nov 2, 2008
London
Although I would never suggest that you were joking about shooting out the 50o players, that's a given.