Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What Length of Barrel?

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
I would always recommend a Freak system, as you can match the bore size to your paint on the day. It has the added advantage that you can change the length depending on conditions (see below) and if you change your marker you only have to replace the back.
As to length, that's more a personal issue & also dependant on the type of fields you usually play. I find I don't get any greater accuracy by going longer than 14" & can keep tighter with the shorter barrel, but on Sup'Air you can sort of lean a long barrel like a 16" or 18" into the sides of the barricade & get in even tighter that way.

Pinky_81

Team Wikings
Mar 19, 2002
Denmark
Length of barrels...

Hi...

14" is an all-round length if you are not sure of what to use...

If you want to get real tight up in the front you can get 8-10-12" barrels, but you might loose some accuracy in the more distant shots... I wouldn't go under 12"

As a back-player you could easily deploy a 16" barrel!! Some say it doesn't work better than 14" but I wouldn't be so sure...

Personally I'm not afraid of using my Big Daddy 18" barrel - not even when playing as a frontplayer!! Obviously it isn't good to be in a tight spot with a lengthy paintball-marker, but it doesn't usually get a problem at all...

Final answer: Get a Freak Kit with a 14" front (which you can use all-a-round) and perhaps a 16" front if you want to play that back position!!

Best Wishes!!

Pinky

Corben

Jul 19, 2002
Visit site
if your a back player ... do it up right go for the biggest baddest barell you can find. I saw a guy with a spyder SE with a 22" barrel. He said it had some really weird rifling technique. Well i watched him shoot in one game and he never even moved from the position he was stading at the whistle, and he popped so many guys all the way acrosss the field it was scary.

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by Corben
if your a back player ... do it up right go for the biggest baddest barell you can find. I saw a guy with a spyder SE with a 22" barrel. He said it had some really weird rifling technique. Well i watched him shoot in one game and he never even moved from the position he was stading at the whistle, and he popped so many guys all the way acrosss the field it was scary.
I think you'll find that the length of the barrel doesn't give you any more range (though it may affect the trajectory of the ball), as the velicity of the ball is measured after it leaves the barrel. I see no way that a ball travellling at say, 280 fps as it leaves the mouth of the barrel would be travelling any further because of what was done to it before it left the barrel. There is an argument that a longer barrel will give you more accuracy, but this no longer applies after about 16-18". I would personally be VERY suspicious indeed if I was being outranged that much by someone with a Spyder whatever setup it had & would ask the marshalls to chronograph the marker. You don't see any pros playing with longer than 18" either - not even the backs.

Dr. Isotope

10" effective, no more than 14" overall. Best bet would be 12" overall, 9.5-10" effective. Despite what you see at fields every day, anything more than 2-2.5" of port at the end is serving aesthetic purposes only (if even that :p )

My buddy shoots a BOA on his Mag that's only 7" overall, and only 5.5" effective-- with surprising results. That said, I have never seen a performance increase by an effective barrel length greater than 12".

chunk.Clan

Clan, back for 09.
May 12, 2002
Lanark.
Freak...........

I would recommend the freak system. I am a back player and I have a Impulse and use a 14" tear drop freak barrel and I never have a problem hitting my target. The different inserts for the different paint means you can change the make and size of paint and still maintain an accurate shot with out jamming.
Hope this helps.