Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What on earth happened at the Euro 5-man!

Jul 13, 2001
Kent
Visit site
Well the tournament looked to be a great event when we turned up saturday morning and started playing. Great venue, fields etc etc. All looked great.

Then came sunday. Now it didnt help that we didnt qualify for the semi's but thats our fault. But while watching the finals i saw the following events un-fold -

Q) A player spatt in the face of another player after a game and branded the player a cheat - the obvious pushing and exchanging of insults followed

Q) Another player was seen to swear and throw his goggles after the game and then once again begin verbal insult throwing with another player before they were broken up by members of the crowd.

Both the incidents happened infront of children, members of the public etc etc and camera's

A) The incidents you talk about are the same. YES someone spat, YES the same person threw his goggles. This person is a good friend of mine, the ultimate field marshall said he had to be banned for unsportsman like behaviour so i banned him. WHAT ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?

Secondly

Q)At the award ceremony after the finals (which did not finish till 7) i noticed that the teams won hardly anything. I heard a rough figure that Backlash or Exstacy (whoever came 3rd) won £35 pounds instead of what they were promised. And at the beginning of the event was not the prize for AM A a £1000???????? Yet a heard Method only got £250 or something.

A)We gave away EXACACTLY WHAT WE SAID WE PROMISED(every penny) over £12000, unfortunatly about £3500 was given in free entrys & hotels for next year. I apoligise for this to all teams & can only hope that entry & hotel for the European 5 Man Championships 2( We have secured & booked the Stadium for next year & will come back bigger & better next year) is still a good prize? All team are welcome to sell their free entry to other teams if they wish to recope some extra cash.

Q)I admit i only heard this through what other people were chatting about. but i meant what a joke.

A) Why didnt you ring me first to get the facts before coming on here & bitching?

Q)No wonder teams left half way through the day.

A) Yes, PGI Sharks left half way through the day, for what reason i dont know? The Tournament only finished 1 hour behind schedule.The only other team to leave was team Bullets who had to leave for the airport at 3 o'clock so could never of completed the tournament anyway no bad feelings just unfortunate when you live in Budapest & have to work the next morning.

Q) And i have to admit i dont feel so bad nowknowing that if we had won, we would not have got half the prizes we would have worked so hard for. I know the teams who won had to play loads of games (lots of bests of three in the semi etc etc) worked very hard for what they believed to be great prizes - then got nothing

A) All Novice teams got exactly what we originally planned, show me one European Tournament with better Nov Prizes, dont forget Entry & hotel is £530 which they are welcome to sell.:confused:

Q)Big respect to them for not saying anything at the presentation but i think something must be said

A)Sorry you didnt enjoy it, but hey you cant please everyone all the time.

Q)I am not sure what the pro's won but novice seemed to get some free gear but not sure what else

A) All prizes & placings will be posted later this week on www.euro5man.com & p8nt early next week.

Q)Hardly the tournament thats it so could have been and should have been

A) Then maybe you should show us all how its done.;)

Q)the word 'joke' seems to come to mind

A) It certainly does:rolleyes:

Now if you will excuse me i am a little tired have been sitting on a greedy guts until 10pm & still have to go back tomorow for day 7.

Thanks to all teams & everyone in involved.

Woz
:D :D :D

Just Curious

Jul 6, 2001
www.jerseywarriors.co.uk
Hmmm,,,

Warren,

U seem pretty pissed off and have every right to be. Unfortunately, the Jersey Warriors were unable to attend but the Channel Islands were represented by Hostile Takeover x 2 and I'm sure they will have nothing but praise for the event.

Its the typical British attitude ain't it? Complain that there are not enough quality events in the UK and then when somebody makes the effort to provide what is needed the same people who have been complaining about the lack of, then 'rip' what was provided!

As I say, we could not attend but the venue looked superb and from the majority of posts here it sounds like it was a successful event, bar the normal hic-cups that even the most experienced promoters encounter.

Maybe instead of claiming that the Prizes where a joke, Mr Spurs01 should have said, 'due to a few teams dropping out the actual prize money stated was not available BUT the promoters got round this problem by offering the placed Teams an alternative package that more than made up the difference!'

Sounds a little more positive, don't it? Unfortunately, that is what is lacking on the UK Paintball scene, 'Positive Encouragement' be it for our up and coming Teams or Event Organisors. What is needed is 'Constructive Criticism' and EVERY event needs this so that improvements can be made.

A quick question, How many Teams in the UK look at the Prizes offered in Tourneys before entering?? I'll bet NOT that many! Why? Because most know that they are not going to win or even place BUT they still enter. Again why? From a personal perspective I think its because they want to compete and IF they happen to place and there are prizes well thats a bonus.
(sorry, bit of track there)

I don't know who Mr Spurs01 plays for and considering that his Team did not even make the Semi-Finals AND that this is his first post on P8 tells me that whoever he plays for had no hope of making a placing, so why is he worried about what the winning Teams got? If HE had a good days 'Ballin' then thats all he should be worried about. Obviously all the Teams that did win/place are happy with what they won cause it seems to me he is the only person complaining!

To the promoters/organizers of this event, good on ya!, Don't let the *******s get ya down! And that goes to all the UK event Organizers.

To Mr Spurs01, have a coke, a smoke and STFU unless u have something constructive to say!

:)D I would just like to point out that my wife does not permit me to speak at home so, unfortunately, u lot gotta listen to my inane dribble!:D )

D

duffistuta

Why we left

It's true, The Sharks did leave early despite qualifying for the semis. Basically, we arrived on Saturday at 6am and played our first game at something approaching 11am.

We arrived again on Sunday and played our first game at 12.25pm. By then one of our players had had enough and left, but the rest of us stayed to play our final prelim game, so by 2pm we'd played about 5 minutes of Paintball. The rest of the team took a vote and decided to leave. Jamie stayed behind to let people know we'd gone.

We figured that the highest scoring non-qualifier would simply fill our spot in the semis so our departure wouldn't adversely affect the tournament.

This is not a criticism of the event, just a simple explanation as to why we left - we weren't stiffed by judges or cheated or summoned onto a mission for God or anything else.

Judging from the comments on the board most people had a great time and I'm sure Warren and Matt will attract many more teams to the event next year.

D

duffistuta

Warren and I are playing phone tennis at the moment, so just to clarify the above:

We arrived in the carpark at 6am, along with a couple of other teams. The site didn't open until 7am.

By 2pm we had played two games - the 5-mins of Paintball was the combined total of the two games. My apologies if it read like we had only played one.

As I said above, I am not criticising, merely explaining why we left so that no-one thinks there was anything untoward going down.

Chris Lacey

Jan 16, 2002
www.lipspaintball.com
Hi,

Just a couple of observations.

Firstly, thanks to Warren and Matt for hosting an excellent event. I wasn't there because I was minding our shop but Jon was.

He relayed to me that the venue was superb, the atmosphere was pleasant and friendly (apart from the couple of flare ups) and he had a great time.

I smiled at Warrens comment about sitting on a Greedy Guts until 10pm. If anyone thinks they made a killing on the tournament, think again. If they did, they would have paid someone to do that, not done it themselves. Running events like these is a huge logistical headache and the hours needed in sweat are numerous both before and after the event. Jon and I take our hats off to Warren and Matt and also to all the other event organisers that do it as well. We know what it is like. There really is not a huge pot of gold at the end.

By the way, we did the trophies for the event and the boys chose Silver Plated cups. They are not cheap and our instructions were to make sure that all three divisions had top quality whatever the expense.

We look forward to a good event again next year boys.

All the best,

LPS

Fingers

first of all...

warren, thx for the great tournament we really enjoyed it and will be back next year for sure.

also double thumbs up to you for organizing us a fifth player for both days..thx here to Martin and Gary...;)

don´t let anyone tell you any other , than that that tournament was just great. i´ve seen a few so far...

also very good job by the marshalls...no reason for complains here, and i really enjoyed the "no dry firing" rule...never had a staging area that quiet.. :)

Warren, keep up the good work, and don´t give up!!

oh...almost forgot, i want to see pictures!!! and videos..can´t wait for the dvd to be finished..:D

cheers
robert
(Limited Edition)

Buddha Cranfield

Jul 8, 2003
Surrey,England
Visit site
Thankyou to Warren and Matt for a great weekend,fantastic site,fantastic staff (especially the clean up ladies)very unlucky with the netting situation on saturday it looked like the best set up possible but gale force winds are VERY persuasive,cheers to the marshalls for doing the job nobody wants and H-pac for lully clean air again.
P.s Was I the only person picking up random balls whenever I saw one on the floor?